Internet Detox

A few months ago I was depressed as hell, not knowing what the purpose of life is and life was basically hell for me. until one day I saw this movie called "Scott Pilgrim vs the world" and (got completely obsessed, mostly with the soundtracks, and) I'm like Hey, life is worth living. you just need to enjoy the things of your own age rather than watching fucking manchester by the sea for christ sake goddammit why the fuck are you watching manchester by the sea??

so I decided to cool off, take things easy for a while and chill. what I didn't notice was that I turned my brain off, and got onto social media, which made me addicted to it. not because I couldn't stop or anything, because (A: This 1 girl, and B: ) I didn't want to stop! because I simply didn't want to think. seriously, life is a lot more fun when you don't have to worry about anything!

But a while ago I realized that not only I don't tend to think anymore, I also lost the ability to think. which is horrific. not only all my friends know me as the wise guy and they come for me for advice (LOL, Unimaginable but it's true), I also know me as the wise guy and ask myself for advice!! What advice can an addicted prick give me for my life?? besides, I'm pathetic! the old me used to stare at the moon and think about things that were really interesting for an hour, then write some shit like clair de lune. the new me is switching between discord and reddit and illmuzik and twitter 15 hours a day, just so the brain doesn't have to struggle or go back to thinking deeply about life, or Anything! (in fact I subconsciously checked for discord in background apps like 4 times by the end of writing this post...)

So I decided to get myself Completely offa social media for a week, and try to limit it to certain hours after that period is over. it's painful to miss the beat this though, that elevator one is a real challenge. I bet the Voting will be a pain in the ass with that sample playing 30 times :D

I probably had a rant about this sorta stuff before, and I definitely knew this trap before I fell into it, but I didn't notice that I'm falling in it until it was too late. the main reasons I wrote all this is not only to say why I won't be so active for a lil while, it's also a way to force myself not to check the site, because if I do then I'm not a man of my word so... I outsmarted the future me :D . this'll also get stored for anyone else who needs to notice how they can make their lives better if they made the same mistake as I did.

Thanks for reading. but I won't read any response until next week. HOPEFULLY.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
All @Armani media is consciously designed to be addictive.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Of course it's an addiction. I feel bad for the young ones today because all they know is the internet. Their entire lives revolve around it and most don't know that there was a time when people spent their days doing real things.

So it's good to log off but it's hard because it's always there. You can log off for a while but when you come back, then what? It will consume you again. It really comes down to what you use the internet for. I just invented this saying, "use the internet, don't let it use you".

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
Get off social media as long as possible. It’s dangerous propaganda and bad for your mental health. Watch the social dilemma movie for some basics but it actually goes much deeper. I can recommend some books if you like as I’m currently doing an academic study of American propaganda right now. Get comfortable with your own thoughts ASAP.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Get off social media as long as possible. It’s dangerous propaganda and bad for your mental health. Watch the social dilemma movie for some basics but it actually goes much deeper. I can recommend some books if you like as I’m currently doing an academic study of American propaganda right now. Get comfortable with your own thoughts ASAP.
Social dilemma was really good! I think everyone should check it out. But really "social media" is anything but social and now it's so bad that it's just people either hating everything or people looking for likes.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 543
There you go reminding me of me again, young'un!

It's weird because been having a similar thing recently. Instead of knuckling down n staying focus on a track (which is the only real reason I load my comp up), I end up flicking to the discord for no real reason, or here on ill, or wherever. Seeing if there's any thread or message i can distract with (in fact, that's how I ended up here in off-topic reading your bullshit! :p ) So somtimes I just close discord as it's one less distract, and i often cba reopening it.

Sometimes (like you doing now) you gotta get away from or distracted from your distractions for a while, even if that's a week or few days, to make you realise you don't really need or want them. Best way is to actually go do something real, i.e howling at the moon or whatever you said you used to do :woot: ive got some distractions, even tho usually reserved to outside of music making hours, but I decided to go meet a few chicks n such instead recently. Now I kinda cba with those other distractions - once you had some time away from them you realise like 'eh, can't really be bothered with that'. Now the trick is deading the social media distractions. But building the habit of removing distractions! (i started writing this hourrrs ago)

Think next trick is to just, keep all internet/phones/whatever shut away and give yourself some limitlike "you've got only hour to finish most of this track" and you'll find you flow through it easily.

Good luck, young bro - catch you on the other side!

Fam I don't use social media either. I stopped like 2 weeks ago. In 2 weeks I honestly feel way better and more confident in myself and happy with my life. Tbh I stepped and was like who do I know personally that is doing better than me musically. I'm not talking about anyone on here, I'm really like who in my day to day life do I know that's really pursing the dream like me. Social media has a way of making you feel like your life is incomplete.

Getting off was one of the best decisions I've made. I think it's very wise to say to yourself I'm not strong enough sometimes, sometimes you just have to back out instead of fighting all the time.

Anyways, crazy I keep running into moments to preach getting off of social media.

They say you NEED it is a musician. I strongly disagree. I have the most success on YouTube. The best rappers I work with I know locally. Social media just doesn't have a high enough ROI for my time.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
If @slimegreenbeats you are working w/someone locally and they are good for your rep and vice versa e.g. they add quality to your rep and you add to theirs, consider it a blessing and a privilege. Personally, I'm far from having it like that.

If @slimegreenbeats you are working w/someone locally and they are good for your rep and vice versa e.g. they add quality to your rep and you add to theirs, consider it a blessing and a privilege. Personally, I'm far from having it like that.
Oh yes it's mostly luck. I met one guy through a friend, and one guy at a club. Id like to work with much better artists though no disrespect to them but I'm never bitter with what I have. Id say tho you can have great success with beats online. In fact I prefer to work alone at my crib, I don't pull up to studios anymore without getting paid.

A secret I have for finding people to send beats too is I just type in "send beats" on Twitters search engine.

wrightboy

Formally Finnigan
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 7
I've been saying since the beginning that social media is the devil. I've never had a Facebook. Once Facebook bought WhatsApp I shut down my account because I knew it was just a matter of time before they changed it for the worse. Also not on Twitter or IG. I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything. But then again, I'm old. Lol. I grew up in @Fade era.

I've been saying since the beginning that social media is the devil. I've never had a Facebook. Once Facebook bought WhatsApp I shut down my account because I knew it was just a matter of time before they changed it for the worse. Also not on Twitter or IG. I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything. But then again, I'm old. Lol. I grew up in @Fade era.
I mean you have to get yourself into these stuff as a musician. My ariana grande remix thing got 50 views in like an hour just because of a reddit post, you know? + almost all businesses revolve around whatsapp where I live so that sucks.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
I @thedreampolice would like to know those book names as I used to be a voracious reader and am looking to be that reader again.