Internet VS. Radio/Broadcast: where's the power?

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
Has the internet taken over as the premier destination for music? If not how much further do we have to go?

I ask because one of Atom Cruz's post sparked an idea. If music up until know was made for radio then the loudness war was a bit of a neccesity. But, if music was destined for the internet wouldnt it eliminate the need for absurd compression? no? well wouldnt there be a chance for levels to be standardized and allowed opportunity for music to breathe normally/ more naturally?

Does anyone have any links to some numbers to show where music destinations are now?

Just some thoughts

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
I think the internet is becoming bigger than radio, but it's a gradual process. The concept of radio is great, because it's almost interactive (contests, requests, etc.). Some people like listening to the radio DJs...(I like listening to Steve Harvey sometimes, I'm actually intrigued by his content on his show). However the money aspect is really the internet....Eventually everything will be purchased via download, because of the costs of distribution isn't getting any cheaper and the internet is a faster way to get to the listener...That's why iTunes is such a success...

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Right, its hard to imagine life without radio. But then again, I can see internet radio being standardized and replacing what we have now with "Digital radio". I could see it cutting down money.

Are there any engineers that could shine light on the "Loudness war" aspect I mentioned earlier?

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
Has the internet taken over as the premier destination for music? If not how much further do we have to go?

I ask because one of Atom Cruz's post sparked an idea. If music up until know was made for radio then the loudness war was a bit of a neccesity. But, if music was destined for the internet wouldnt it eliminate the need for absurd compression? no? well wouldnt there be a chance for levels to be standardized and allowed opportunity for music to breathe normally/ more naturally?

Does anyone have any links to some numbers to show where music destinations are now?

Just some thoughts

Good question. Terrestrial or FM radio currently enjoys the advantage because have a more powerful "Marketplace of Interest" which allows them to continue to generate serious revenue.

Internet radio IS gaining ground and the numbers are showing that it is here to stay as a form of media. In terms of toppling or surpassing terrestrial radio, we have a long ways to go before that happens.

As an unsigned or up-and-coming artist, it would be in your best interest to do as much w/ i-net radio as possible including starting your own station. I work directly with 3 people who started stations a few years ago and it completely improved their situations for the better.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
As an unsigned or up-and-coming artist, it would be in your best interest to do as much w/ i-net radio as possible including starting your own station. I work directly with 3 people who started stations a few years ago and it completely improved their situations for the better.

Wow really? How so?

Queenofex

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
I think internet radio is very powerful. More exclusive, more varitey also I know some include download links for the show. People with ipods/ mp3's could easily play it from the whip. But of course like sucio said it's a slow process and they have a lot to offer when it comes to prizes, free tickets for concerts and keeping up with local events.

@ shadeed I believe thats a great idea because I'm a internet radio listener and I'm always checking out new artist and music.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
@ shadeed I believe thats a great idea because I'm a internet radio listener and I'm always checking out new artist and music.

Any recommendations?

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.

Wow really? How so?
There's infinite ways to do this starting with finding out who does internet radio in the DMV. Funny thing is there are some solid i-net radio stations here that have built or are building a very consistent base of listeners.
Next, you find out ways to build with them. All i-net radio stations operate independently so you can help their operations out immensely if you provide value to their services.
I won't tell you exactly what to do in that regard, that is your homework.

So in review, figure out 1.Who and then 2.How

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.

Wow really? How so?
There's infinite ways to do this starting with finding out who does internet radio in the DMV. Funny thing is there are some solid i-net radio stations here that have built or are building a very consistent base of listeners.
Next, you find out ways to build with them. All i-net radio stations operate independently so you can help their operations out immensely if you provide value to their services.
I won't tell you exactly what to do in that regard, that is your homework.

So in review, figure out 1.Who and then 2.How

Thanks Shadeed!! always setting me on the right path!

Conspiracy radio is my fav

Hip-hop and deep talks about everything!

Thanks for the recommendation! checkin them out now!

hanayalator

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 11
The power is comppletely with the old school radio stations. They're one of the only reasons that the music industry hasn't completely collapsed in the past few years. They alone have the power to make or break the artist, and it's generally the most significant revenue stream for artists. Internet radio has its advantages, especially for unsigned acts, but that's typically because they play a broader range of music and will play unknown acts. There's virtually no money in internet radio as well, and the law has a long way to go before it gets there. Obviously the internet is a great way to buy tracks, and that has proved to be a profitable business for some company's, but that has nothing to do with radio. As for the loudness issue, I'm not sure what the internet has to do with it. People will still be listening to internet radio through their computer speakers / headphones most of the time, so the same values that traditional radio holds will hold for internet radio. Also rememeber that higher quality means bigger file size, which is one of the main reasons why mp3s are still popular.

H

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
The power is comppletely with the old school radio stations. They're one of the only reasons that the music industry hasn't completely collapsed in the past few years. They alone have the power to make or break the artist, and it's generally the most significant revenue stream for artists. Internet radio has its advantages, especially for unsigned acts, but that's typically because they play a broader range of music and will play unknown acts. There's virtually no money in internet radio as well, and the law has a long way to go before it gets there. Obviously the internet is a great way to buy tracks, and that has proved to be a profitable business for some company's, but that has nothing to do with radio. As for the loudness issue, I'm not sure what the internet has to do with it. People will still be listening to internet radio through their computer speakers / headphones most of the time, so the same values that traditional radio holds will hold for internet radio. Also rememeber that higher quality means bigger file size, which is one of the main reasons why mp3s are still popular.

H

I agree with you. Internet has to catch up. In the next 5 years, Internet radio will be fully integrated into vehicles which will help i-net as well.
I'm waiting to see how much impact The Performance Tax will have on urban radio. It will knock a lot of stations out of business but remains to be seen.