Interviews Interview With Dirty South Producer Reggie Perry

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Read about Reggie Perry, an up-and-coming producer from the Dirty South, his feelings on sampling, today's Hip-Hop scene, and more...

Where are you from?

I'm from Georgia, right outside of the ATL!

What's the music scene like there?

You see it on TV, its crunk!! A lot of people bash the South's music, but they don't understand that if they come down here and go to the club and hear some crunk music, they will see what it is all about, it's real down here!

Do you produce other forms of music besides Hip-Hop? If not, do you plan to?

Of course, R&B and also Rock and Nu-Metal. I am a huge fan of Linkin Park and what they are doing, so sometimes I will try to mimic that ill sound they have. Kind of like a newbie trying to imitate the Neptunes, but if you listen to some of my work, it has influences from Rock, Jazz, etc.

What was the first thing that attracted you to Producing?

My friends and I use to make videos, like jackass type stuff (before it came out though!) just on a more mature level. I would edit it in a program that you could also use to make music, so that is what turned me on to production. That, and also the fact I love the feeling when I seeing people dancing and smiling to something I made.

What kind of setup do you have?

I have my Fruity Loops and Reason, they doing me justice, but I will upgrade soon. I also have the Truth monitors, BOSS BR-1180 until that Pro Tools money comes in, a lot of sample CD's with killa drum kits and a nice vinyl collection.

How long have you been producing?

It will be three years coming this January.

Do you also DJ or MC?

I use to spit a little bit, I usually do the hook on most of the artists I work with. I would love to DJ, I am thinking about getting started in that!

Do you sample, or play all your own music? Or both?

I might use a loop from a sample CD or something like that, but I really don't sample old school stuff, I still respect it though, it is not easy at all, but most of my stuff I play myself.

What are your feelings on sampling?

First of all, it is FREAKIN HARD sometimes. LOL. I think it is a quick way to learn how music works, but after you learn, you need to move on and learn the instruments yourself. It is the only real way you can expand and grow as a producer. A lot of cats sample, and that's cool, but we need more original material now, not repeats...ya know?

What do you prefer to drink while at the studio, Water, Alcohol, or Soda?

Water. I have mad water bottles all over the floor in the studio. LOL!

If you had to pick the ideal location to hold a concert for 1 million people where would it be?

I would have to say Atlanta, I just love it here!

If you could have any musician, dead or alive work with you for a whole album, who would it be?

Jimi Hendrix, what he did in his short life was amazing.

If you had 5 minutes to make a beat for your favorite MC, what instrument would you use first?

I would do the beat first, so a beat machine I guess. LOL

Who are you? And what makes you, you?

I am Reggie, and I make me, not any clothes, any slang, not even the music, but me.

Mainstream, Underground, or neither, where would you like to be, and why?

If I can make a decent living doing what I love to do, I will take either way. I have some ill ish that everyone needs to hear. It is different from what is out there and it just makes you feel good, that is what it is all about. I basically have something for everyone, from rock to rap, I got you!

If you could pick 1 song to be played every time someone thought about you, what would it be, and why?

Tough question, I would have to say N.E.R.D. "Rock Star" because that will let that person know now many people can do what we (producers) do and do it well.

What are some of the things you do right before you get on stage or in front of a big crowd?

Pray that all goes well and I rock the show, that is all I can do.

Where are you trying to take Hip Hop?, and Why does it need to go there?

I am trying to extend it to people who think it is bad, i.e. older folks. A lot of the older generation didn't grow up with it like we did, so they do not understand it. I like stuff everyone can feel with a positive message and something that is so ill and jazzy that you cannot do nothing but stand up and dance. The reason it needs to go to a more positive level is for one, more people will listen and be exposed to our amazing culture and the kids these days don't need to be hearing about who shot who, who fucked a lot of women and how to cut dope... they need to hear some positive ish, and how they can get off the block, make legal money, and lots of it!

Any shout outs you would like to give?

4 sho! What's up to all the people I worked with and am working with on the internet and in the ATL. Also what's up to G-Matriix, White Owl Bundy and all the other ill kats out there! Keep it up!

Aight Reggie, thanks for doing the interview!

members online