Interviews Interview With New Jersey Crew 98 Proof

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
98proof_big.jpg

As most of ya'll cats know, I don't just listen to the "Run of the Mill" Hip-Hop. So when Fade asked me to check out 98 Proof, I jumped on the chance as soon as I listened to a few joints from the label. As an Emcee and Producer, I know both aspects of the game. If there is one thing I'm not familiar with is running my own independent label and focusing on just my artists. This brings me to Nick Ditri aka DJ Picklz, CEO and executive producer of 98Proof Recordings.

So tell me how you got started out in Hip-Hop and how 98 Proof came about?

Back in 1998 I got into DJing parties and what not so that's where I really got heavy into Hip-Hop and creating my own mixes. I was always a songwriter since I was about 10 but it wasn't until I was about 15 that I started making Hip-Hop tracks. Once that happened, it all was a snowball effect.

As far as producing, what methods and what do you use in the studio? (As in hardware or software).

My main device is the Korg Triton, that's the monster of all monsters to me at least. I feel the MPC but as a musician I need the piano keys of course. It gives me the versatility I need to cut sample off vinyl then harmonize that sample with live instruments. I also use Reason here and there alongside of my Alesis QS 6.2 Synth. I'm big into EQ's and changing the frequencies on sounds to give the patch a totally different vibe from its original flavor.

From listening to your artists on your roster, obviously your focus is on the East Coast Underground level. What do you feel about the current "Duurty South Crunk Style" that has currently taken over the mainstream?

You hit the nail on the head with that definition of the label but the funny thing is that I was always mostly inspired by the west coast. If you listen closely to a lot of our material you'll catch certain rhythms and synth patches that are mostly utilized in the west coast scene. As far as the Dirty South, I'm personally getting a little tired of it getting played out and DJ's not putting much of a variety on rotation but that's the industry for you. When the labels pay, they get played so what can ya do? Musically it's not too interesting to me, but you know that if it's on in the club when I'm there, then I'm gettin down to it.

And your views on Hip-Hop right now?

Hip-Hop is confused right now. What people are getting shoved in their face from TV and radio isn't really what they WANT to hear but what they are programmed to hear. As far as the indie scene, it's getting bigger everyday. In less then a decade I expect to see a lot of the indie artists making power moves and getting major status recognition without needing the major label backing. Hip-Hop is in a little recession right now but it will come back around, it never ceases to amaze me.

You currently have 3 artists on your roster. Explain them, their style, and your relationship with each.

The artists.... where do I start? I see the squad a lot, especially lately with our crazy schedule but we are all a tight knit group. 1Self has been down since day one with the 98. He has always been working, watching the new artists, some who came and went, and he still stayed in the grind to perfect his art. After about 3 years now, he's finally getting out his first single entitled "The Real". It was worth the wait.

Little Italy, the dynamic duo of the label, have done a tremendous turnaround from their first album until now. Their debut CD "Escarole & Beans" was a real underground to the point album, it was my first time doing beats like that and their first time in the studio so there were some flaws but that's to be expected. After about 2 years now of constant growth and maturing , the group has put together a single to drop this winter from their upcoming LP, "Sign of the Maiden".

Nablidon, last but not least, is an interesting guy. He'll take you from the club to the streets in less then 6 bars. As far as our relationship goes, I spend to much time with the kid. It just gets crazy in the studio sometimes, I think I just plead the fifth for the rest of his explanation.

So do you work in other forms of music other then Hip-Hop?

I do a lot of work in Jazz. I was raised on Sinatra, Duke Ellington, Irving Berlin, and so on so I really enjoy playing that material on the keys but you'll catch me on occasion working on a classical score or even some type of alternative rock material. I'm open to everything.

What do you do in your spare time out of the studio?

When I'm out of the studio, well I'm never really out of the studio. But I'll take a food break here and there, a little Italian food and the studio mix great. My one pet peeve is being hungry while I'm working on a track, it drives me insane. But most of my extra activities revolve around the label, from shows to radio appearances - that's mostly what I do outside of recording sessions.

I read on your site that you will be attending College in Boston. How will this affect the whole label and how will you plan on working with your artists?

I'm going to Berklee College of Music so it's not like I will be disconnected from the music world. Connections will be made and I will still be running the label. We took a lot of time this summer to lay down new material so we'd have it in the cut to put out while I am away. It will delay the recording process but I feel it will benefit the label as a whole and the promotional aspect of things will improve drastically while I'm up there since Boston is such a big Hip-Hop community.

Being from New Jersey, what artists/producers do you feel rep NJ to the fullest?

Redman, Redman, Redman, Tame-1 and Redman...

Have you worked with anyone in Hip-Hop that we know of?

I can't reveal who will be on my debut mixtape, "Off the Meatrack Vol. 1" but you will not be disappointed when you see the line-up. But before this whole mixtape endeavor we mostly have been concentrating on our own material and not too many collabs.

Finally, in 10 years from now, where do you see 98Proof? And where do you see Hip-Hop heading?

In ten years the 98 Proof logo will be implanted behind peoples eyelids. And Hip-Hop, well hopefully it will be in the same state it was in 10 years ago, which was in FULL EFFECT.

Anything else?

I'd like to thank you guys for giving me this opportunity and check out the website, www.98Proof.com. Cop an album or two, it won't disappoint you but definitely look out for things to come, you'll see more and more of us whether you like it or not.

*Check out a short video interview with 98 Proof!

members online