Irritating delay in headphones

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
Whenever on the mic there is this half a second delay that is REALLY irritating to an MC, when I did the latest radio show I just took the damn headphones OFF because I couldnt deal with it after awhile and it wasnt like I was even trying stay on beat so I can imagine what its like to be rappin with that going on..

Any ideas on how to solve this?

lion-ucs

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Is this a regular occurrence?

Whats your setup?

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
Thats called "latency", it usually comes from the time it takes to transfer analog info to digital info. Your best fix would be finding a way to monitor whatever you're monitoring in your headphones before it converts in your gear.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Well I have the phones plugged into the digi 003 rack... I dont see why the latency when its all in the same source...
Well I guess the source is the mic.. but is there no way to stop this?

Yeah Lion its a regular occurence.. Using PT 9 , just seems that its getting worse.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
are you setting the lowest buffer rate?

how are you setting up the input channel and input monitoring?

I think this is a PT problem or bug, usually a buffer of 128 or lower will appear to get rid of it but sometimes it will still happen as if Low Latency Monitoring was disabled or is overridden. I think you're right, I bet it will narrow down to his input channel setup and/or his plugins. Thats why I said his best bet would be to try to figure out a different way of monitoring.

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
1. Choose Setups --> Playback Engine.

The Playback Engine dialog box opens.

2. Select the setting that you want from the H/W Buffer Size drop-down list.

3. Click OK to accept the setting and close the dialog box.

@Dac 128 in Pro tools, now thats funny.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Im just saying...lol. Well, when recording I keep it low around 128 or 256, but when mixing - I go back in and make it higher (so that it will know that its gonna be doing a lot of processing).

EDIT I bet thats whats happening, I bet he isn't changing it to a higher setting when he's mixing.

7thangel

7th Angel of Armageddon
ill o.g.
if i remember, you're in windows, so you should be able to get your buffer down to 64 samples. record and practice at the lowest it can go and raise it after you finished recording

as for input monitoring:

under "track"

4_MonitorTrack.jpg

however, i don't know how they changed things in pt 9, so those that do can elaborate more on this. i've heard about the various latency issues some are experiencing and expecting to get fixed/improved in the next updates.

7thangel

7th Angel of Armageddon
ill o.g.
@lion-ucs it doesn't use either, it has its own engine called DAE

@7thangel You can set it at 64 but I have never seen a NON PTHD rig actually work well that low, just buffer errors and pops and clicks.

i use 64 all the time at work, no clicks, pops, errors or dropouts. we're using m-audio 2626 in xp sp3 and the computer isn't even close to being the most powerful. ymmv

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.

2. Select the setting that you want from the H/W Buffer Size drop-down list.

3. Click OK to accept the setting and close the dialog box.

@Dac 128 in Pro tools, now thats funny.

2. Delay Compensation Engine ------> Select Short.
It closes and saves the track then opens it again .. Much better.

members online