Is 480MB of RAM enough for Reason/Recycle????

phayzebeatz

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
I have a P4 2.8 Ghz w/ 480(?)MB of RAM..with 200GB internal and 100GB external drives both of which are under 30% of each drives capacity (i.e. there's more than enough available space) sometimes when I open up another program, the sound gets choppy and static, my soundcard driver (M-Audio Delta-66) is updated and seems to be fine. Can this be because I dont have enough RAM to support applications like Reason & ReCycle etc? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanx all,
phayze

Kontents

I like Gearslutz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
well there is no such thing as a 480 of ram. you can get up to 4G of ram if your reffering to room on your hard drive 480mb is plenty. if reason is clipping (the clip meter is at the bottom left part of the rack) its most likely that your processor is slow and cant take it, how many devices do you use?. i would suggest to only use one program at a time to be safe and to be really safe save as many times as you can when making the beat cause your comp can freeze if the clipping gets out of control.

A B

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 32
generally the more ram you have the better, 512 is really the minimum you should be aiming for, but you'd be better off with more. But at the same time it depends what your doing. But from what you've described you'd probably be better off getting more ram.

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
I have a P4 2.8 Ghz w/ 480(?)MB of RAM..with 200GB internal and 100GB external drives both of which are under 30% of each drives capacity (i.e. there's more than enough available space) sometimes when I open up another program, the sound gets choppy and static, my soundcard driver (M-Audio Delta-66) is updated and seems to be fine. Can this be because I dont have enough RAM to support applications like Reason & ReCycle etc? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanx all,
phayze

yes, cuz i have 512mb RAM wit no problem.

also... 480mb, no such thing, but on some computers windows, and other background programs use up RAM from the reading. but Windows should only take aboout 4mb RAM from the over all reading... i dont know why u way down there in the 480s

phayzebeatz

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
well there is no such thing as a 480 of ram. you can get up to 4G of ram if your reffering to room on your hard drive 480mb is plenty. if reason is clipping (the clip meter is at the bottom left part of the rack) its most likely that your processor is slow and cant take it, how many devices do you use?. i would suggest to only use one program at a time to be safe and to be really safe save as many times as you can when making the beat cause your comp can freeze if the clipping gets out of control.

Yes I have 512 MB of ram but when i check the system properties it says I have 480MB, a pc tech i know said thats what happens sometimes..i have another computer with 1024MB of RAM and it shows up as 999.0 MB. Even when I use reason alone, it will still pop and click.. and is my processor having trouble at P4 2.8 ?? thanks again

generally the more ram you have the better, 512 is really the minimum you should be aiming for, but you'd be better off with more. But at the same time it depends what your doing. But from what you've described you'd probably be better off getting more ram.

Thanks!!

yes, cuz i have 512mb RAM wit no problem.

also... 480mb, no such thing, but on some computers windows, and other background programs use up RAM from the reading. but Windows should only take aboout 4mb RAM from the over all reading... i dont know why u way down there in the 480s

Thats it! I knew there was an explanation for some of my memory going towards windows & background stuff..but i too thought 480MB down from 512 seems too much...i wonder where that extra ram is going ..that might be the answer tom my question

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
If its integrated graphics, it will take RAM resources to run the graphics. You may be able to reduce the amount that's used in the bios.

~NW~

intergrated graphics yes thats it. thats what i was tryna remember in my prvious post, when i said "and other backgroun programs"

Kontents

I like Gearslutz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
If its integrated graphics, it will take RAM resources to run the graphics. You may be able to reduce the amount that's used in the bios.

~NW~

Mos Definit,

I Was Having issues with my CPU and did a web search about reason using up the CPU with graphics and shit, what happend was i had a refill with a combo patch called stormy keys and just two of those in my rack would tear up my CPU, so what i did was modified the patch, i took the graphic off the combo patch and took out whatever other devices inside the combo i felt that were not important. then i saved the patch and the CPU is fine, which is funny cause my friend modified my comp with a graphics card and 1G of Ram and you would think that shit would run smooth. but oh well

PEACE

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Yeah take it from Afrique, LOL. I was running Reason and Sonar on a P2 350mhz and had no problems, but it's because I didn't overload it with tons of FX and stuff like that. If you're doing some basic work then you should be okay but of course it helps to have as much RAM as possible.

members online