is gangsta rap dead?

is this the end of gangsta rap in the industry?

• Total voters

tony needles

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Therea always gonnas be gangsta rap in the industry, but it just depends on how commercial it gets. Its slow right now, but sooner or later peeps is gonna get sick of all this (R)ap&B and go back to being how it was. dont ask me when, thats just whats gonna happen.
Tony in Queens

Peep my beats in the artist section and drop the feedback

Kevin A

Differentiated Rebel
ill o.g.
no. Not as long as there is a market for stupidity, gangster rap will continue to find it's place in the music industry. Also, gangster rap has also fuel the new genre's of negative rap which for some reason people choose to look right past. Gangster Rap is the Father to alot of styles and intensity in music.

jwalk

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
g unit seems to be running strong and people like macdre e40 and all those northern cali niggaz hats doing there thing independent are making a killing off of it

K

Kramit

Hell no, its got too big a fan base and following. Unfortunately its the 'following' aspect that lets it down. Too many 'act hards' and 'bitch mades' have brought it to popular status. But they're also popular just because they're likable, they have a 'desirable' image.

The best of them; E40, WC, Mack 10 (notice how a lot of them are westsiders!:), eastsiders' are big too tho. Dudes like them are steady doin what they do, but they've been brought into commercial view. I dont think they're too fased tho, as long as they stick to what they've been doin since they're beginnings.

Kramit

Craig Gantt

Microphone Violator
ill o.g.
Cold Truth said:
unfortunately, no.
Word, not that I dont respect those that live it how they tell it but on the real i really wish hip hop would go back to lyricsm I really get sick of hearin "I am gangsta you will all die now" or "I got a chain the size of ya baby mama"

E

Equality 7-2521

there are two kinds of gangster rap.

the first is the kind where toy cunts pretend to be hardcore.

the second is where cats drop jewels on gangster shit that they experianced.

i hope the first dies

and i hope the second lives

and yes i think the first is dead or soon will be

and i think the second is alive.

1d3nt1tY

Loop't N Blown
ill o.g.
I think that the first runs this industry. Unfortunately, as long as there's some kid who would buy the shit and believe that such n such is the hardest mufuccaz on earth, it will always be alive.

I say that we need to balance things by bringin it real.

It seems like money changes the peeps too tho, so you'll get a crew that you thought was goin to stay doin the shit right and then they start soundin feminen on their 3rd disc. shiiit.

boneyboys

50 Million Year Trip
ill o.g.
I guess this question mainly depends on your definition of Gangsta Rap - some people see it as little posturing twats who think saying they shot people makes them look good, but what about guys like NWA, Mobb Deep, people like that rapping about real stuff which is pretty damn gangsta sounding to me. If you call that gangsta rap then no, I don't think it will die out and I sure hope it doesn't, rap has come from the streets and you have to have people talking about things that happen on the streets. If your talking about the "I'm such a hardnut, I'm gunna shoot you" kinda gansta rap well then I still don't reckon it's gunna die out, but I sure as hell hope it does, it doesn't add anything to rap music as a whole.

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
Well, I think gangster rap isn't dead, its only evolving. Back in tha days, you had cats like Lords of the Underground, Ice T, Easy-E... packing guns and machettes (huge sword-like knifes)...

now, like Messenger said, there are different kinds. There's the bling bling, the trash talking, talkin about the streets...

But, the guns are almost all gone and that's a good thing. If only the messages could be realer, if less rappers would talk mad sh**, the game would only be healtier, in my opinion.

jwalk

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
sYgMa said:
Well, I think gangster rap isn't dead, its only evolving. Back in tha days, you had cats like Lords of the Underground, Ice T, Easy-E... packing guns and machettes (huge sword-like knifes)...

now, like Messenger said, there are different kinds. There's the bling bling, the trash talking, talkin about the streets...

But, the guns are almost all gone and that's a good thing. If only the messages could be realer, if less rappers would talk mad sh**, the game would only be healtier, in my opinion.[/QUOTE
pretty soon we could have the gangstas rapping about they have nuclear warheads chemical warfare and suicide bombers wouldnt that be crazy

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68
Yo man,,,gangsta Rap was gay from the beginning to now! That whole "There's no other way to survive except slang rocks,,," is bullshit. Check it man, I seen hard times, and shit,,,I'm goin thru them now. I got my 2 kids and my wife cant work right now cus my kids are still young,,,and YEAH, I hustled on the side here and there just to get by,,,,,JUST TO GET BY! I know cats that used to be Big Time hustlers from my way, but in the end they got real jobs and know slangin Full Time is all about fast money and materialism. Holdin' heat on the block for protecton,,,now there I feel is REAL. Shits crazy everywhere these days. But, these rap cats aint really killin other dudes. And the ones that are really "Thugs" are known,,,a la Suge, C-Murder, Styles p,,,etc. But all in all,,,they just stupid. This "Fad" of Hip Hop will never die, and the only thing gangsta rap did was kill Hip Hop to begin with!

Oh yeah,,,,BTW,,,Jus for the record,,,,I'm 5'9" and 275lbs. I have a fucked up disk in my back and I'll still smack the shit outta whoever thinks they the tuffest rapper! LOL, couple of my friends in the industry told me there secrets,,,ya wouldnt believe where half of these cats are REALLY from! Like so called Pimp/Gangsta Ice-T aint really from LA,,,,,,

K

Kramit

The guns are no where near gone, what have u been listening to dude?! Haha. And rappers are already talkin bout nuclear weapons and being terrorists and ish, as well as comparing themselves to Al Quida (spelling) and blowing shit up like bombs (WestSide Conection, Dub C). That ish IS crazy!

Kramit

AHXBEATS

AHXIMUS PRIME
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
Never.. There's to much pain and realizim in the music... You people say you sick of it, but you was lovin it when tupac and BIG was here... Why? Cause they created a balance between keep it gangsta and still sending out messages... Messages is what music is all about.. So I aint gonna knock nobodies hustle. Everyone sends there message in different ways. From R&B, to Rock, to or our Troops at war.. The message will still get across.. And no one can stop that... I rather hear reality hip hop, than all this bling bling bullsh!t... And half of that get crunk trash, that's played on the radio.. Hip Hop turned into whose got the most money and who can scream the loudest on a track.. I mean c'mon I feel sorry for the youger cats growing up with no music foundation.. Maybe I'm just oldschool.. but Whatever happend to the Rakims,and the KRS ONE's? These kids had Tupac and BIG....

"But now that there gone aint sh!t left/
Just a bunch of vultures sleeping in there nest...!"

X-RAY
"aka" Jewel Avenue OX

Plus gangsta shit aint never left anyway... I don't know what you been listening to.. Probably the radio.... Turn off your radio and go buy some real music... Them radio DJ's are fucken Robots... They don't even have control over the music they play. Now how real is that...

1d3nt1tY

Loop't N Blown
ill o.g.
damn man, gansta rap PAVED THE WAY into the "new sound". I can tell you that gansta rap is never going to die. In any society that has created "GaNgStAs", you will see angry youth coming out, talkin about what happens where they live, anyone who doesn't apreciate true gangsta shit is lost in the marketers bling bling diamond ring phase, wake up you hippity hoppin lil techhno boppers!!

Some of you disagree and say it's outdated and that the only thugs are peeps like suge etc etc, than you obviously have never kicked it with some crime ring peeps. I'm not talkin bout the type who are mean to their microphone with verbal tornados... but people who really have had no other choice in the past and now speak about it. I've known a couple. You might be able to get a job better than Micky Dizzle, but there are plenty who can't.... NOW IMAGINE RAISING 3 KIDS ON 700 - 1000 A MONTH. Bad decisions are the main problem on this earth, but then after it's done, what do you do? stay broke working at your 10 hour a day job bringin home barely enough to pay rent let alone buy diapers, milk an all the other shit like bills or even lunch every day.

For most, bad or hard times mean that you couldn't buy the new shit you wanted, or that you might have even been reduced to eating something you normally wouldn't... I've spent time in truly depressed areas (lived in the heart of N.E. Portland in 93-95) when there wasn't a damn thing goin on but straight up poverty or straight up ballin... clucks on the streets askin people for shit and losing the moment, babies in the street without a diaper, sirens every five minutes, all kinds of fucked up shit.

Now, put yourself there without the ability to get a paying job and then look at that 400-1000 a night and tell me again you wouldn't. Come on now

If you really had this circumstance, wouldn't you feel like it is your only way out?

Spend some time in the projects or a getto near you and you'll know whassup. We should start an "adopt a ghetto" program shiiit

drugs are bad uhm-kay

I know, the world has improved a tiny bit since "back in the day" but I remember how it was, and it isn't *that* much diff now, you know?