Is it Good For The Producer To Promote The Artist To Get A Buzz??

ill o.g.
Whats going on Ill Fam???

Yo, so ok say you have been working with a artists and your a producer but, you have hardly no buzz. Should you promorte that artist also just to get your name out ther?? What about making a mixtape of the tracks you have produced, and try to sell that for a couple bucks cause you never know who's hands it might get into, but is that a good idea or what??? I mean I want to start getting my na eout more and I will be promoting my artists more but I just need to know if that would be good to get a (PRODUCER) buzz.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
Dude, all I DO is promote StepChild, the beats to me are secondary...
I put him on as many cats trax as I can, we are the same unit, and he gets on then I dont forsee having a problem in getting future business.
Now I have cats commin to me for trax cuz they either liked the ones that we did together or have heard of RIP or have known of us for a long time.
If you have a unit you promote the unit. That being said Ive been workin with buddy for a long time and am not worried about getting shitted at this point.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
Why not make a beat cd and "give it way" to the same people that you promote the artist too?

A good DJ loves instrumentals!!!! He can mix an already established artist vox with your instrumentals.

What better way to get a producer buzz going than having somebody that's already on spitting over your track? New artist and new producers hardly ever get the right buzz going but and established artist over your beats will make you jump much faster.

I Dj and every gig I have there's always a hand full of newbies and established artist promoting there music. What I'm working on now is putting together a beat cd and when these dudes hand me there joints to play they'll get a beat cd in return. If they listen and give me feed back I'll play there joints....if they don't I'll throw there shit in the pile with the rest.

When u dj a lot of people kiss your ass to play there music...why not make it a "win win situation" if you produce as well? If you're joints are nice they just may come calling.

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
to answer the original question in one word: YES!

any promotion is good promoton and any good deed u do will come back to u bro. As unsigned and/or unestablished artists ur best bet is to grind togther. Its just as much ur responsibility to promote as his. In fact, whether u r a producer or an an artist, it actually looks better if someone ELSE is promoting for u. When i get something from someones "team" or "camp" generally u would be more taken more seriously because u figure if this guy actually has people working for him his music must be good lol.

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
PR (Public Relations/Marketing) is crucial to the success of your music. There's a lot of shit music and also good music out there. You need to have a PR exec's head to get your shit on blogs and in the media so you can start some buzz. It's tough and I see the marketing cats working late trying to figure out how to spout propaganda on a new artist while staying within budget.

It ain't easy. Check out marketing/PR books. Take a look through Advertising Age (http://www.adage.com). Read about how "Vampire Weekend" copped a deal in one of Spin Magazine's past issues.

mono

the invisible visible
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 20
i know guys theyre like pressing cds and placing them everywhere. bus stop, train seats, mcdonalds, clubs, they flood the city with their music. do anything it needs to get your name out there. once you fall asleep, there will be that other producer promoting his artist. you know dre promoted eminem too.....oh and snoop