Is it possible to be a Tone Deaf Producer????

Qwerty

Sshsh-Straight fiya!
ill o.g.
I always wondered that. I personally think that it is IMPPOSSIBLE to be tone deaf and compose music.

"A person who is tone deaf lacks relative pitch, the ability to discriminate between notes"

Here's a site with some tone deaf test on the

Normal Pitch Detection : http://www.npr.org/ramfiles/atc/20020116.atc.normal.ram
Most people can detect the subtle pitch change in this sequence. Monica couldn't.

Falling Pitch : http://www.npr.org/ramfiles/atc/20020116.atc.missed.ram
Monica couldn't hear the falling pitch in this sequence.

Rising Pitch : http://www.npr.org/ramfiles/atc/20020116.atc.60.ram
Sixty percent of the time, Monica could detect the higher pitch in this sequence.

Here's the site : http://www.npr.org/programs/atc/features/2002/jan/tonedeaf/020116.tonedeaf.html

---------------

I know that is kind of pointless, but hey who knows maybe there's a tone deaf in our community. Especially if you only sample, i don't think it would be that much of a problem

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
mr. collipark...k.. that was a little harsh..

and thank god. i'm not tone deaf. I think karaoke is japanese for tone deaf.. just some shit to know.

Qwerty

Sshsh-Straight fiya!
ill o.g.
Sanova said:
mr. collipark...k.. that was a little harsh..

and thank god. i'm not tone deaf. I think karaoke is japanese for tone deaf.. just some shit to know.

LOOL, yeah, that thing about mr. Collipark, that would explain a lot of thing

-----

Oh my freakin God...I was looking up is Discography and I just found out that he produced Jeezy's TrapStar :eek: ...Ok..I guess I just make these wack beats on purpose then, cuz if he can make a good beat like that, he HAS to be kidding with the Wait, Play, etc crap..

But let's stay on topic!

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
no u cant become a good producer, and i aint trying to start nothing but alot of cats are tone deaf and dont even realise it, even if u do sample its for basslines

i cant tell u the countles beats i here were cATS either play out of tune basslines, or try to compose and play stuff in the wrong key and dont have a freakin clue....

O

open mind

they gonna find out by time.nobody was born as a "right in key" producer.i got love for them guys that wanted to make music even if they out of key or sumtin if they got passion they gonna find out how to make the hotness "IN KEY".

I DONT HATE ON EM.

Producer_GyaL

IllMuzik First Lady
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 182
open mind said:
they gonna find out by time.nobody was born as a "right in key" producer.i got love for them guys that wanted to make music even if they out of key or sumtin if they got passion they gonna find out how to make the hotness "IN KEY".

I DONT HATE ON EM.

LOL they will never gonna find out! They will continue to think that their beats are the issh! I agree with classic, theres a looot of tone deaf people.. but hey, they have the right to live!... yet! LOL

O

open mind

Producer_GyaL said:
LOL they will never gonna find out! They will continue to think that their beats are the issh! I agree with classic, theres a looot of tone deaf people.. but hey, they have the right to live!... yet! LOL
why u think they never gonna find it out? lol if someone loves making music then sooner or later they MUST fuck with music theory.

O

open mind

classic said:
u can know all the music theory in the world, still cant reslove the fact that ur tone def, trust me......
i agree what u say in case of TIMING u never can learn timing in music theory thats somethin u gotta FEEL but as long as playing stuff in KEY u can learn it.

Qwerty

Sshsh-Straight fiya!
ill o.g.
open mind said:
i agree what u say in case of TIMING u never can learn timing in music theory thats somethin u gotta FEEL but as long as playing stuff in KEY u can learn it.

I have to agree with that. In you decide to make a song in a certain scale. Then all you have to do really is make sure all the notes are played in the right scale you picked. BUT, when it comes to adding sounds to a sample, like a bass, to find the scale you need to be able to differentiate tones though

Rhythmikal

Beat's Disciple
ill o.g.
i believe you can - if you sample. ok maybe you still gotta do the basslines, but you could easily go for the Heatmakerz style - one tone of bass on your kicks.

if you dont got the 'ear' for tones, it dont mean u dont have the ear for a sick sample. and if you have a good song construction mind you can go far.

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
open mind said:
why u think they never gonna find it out? lol if someone loves making music then sooner or later they MUST fuck with music theory.

They wouldnt find out unless they had SOMEONEELSE testing them. cuz other wise, how would they know when they got the shit wrong?

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
see yall missed my point, maybe an avrage beatmaker can get away with being tone def but a producer NO

A producer needs to have an ear for what fits on hooks , what sounds fit and wat dosent, and also needs to be able to tell the R&B singer to sing a certain melodly,

A PRODUCER CANNOT BE TONE DEF PERIOD

A BEATMAKER COULD GET AWAY WITH IT BUT THEY NEVER WILL BE ANY GOOD

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
To be honest I think this problem is possibly overstated, most of the time its a matter of tuning and not really being tone deaf and sometimes people are lazy, now sitting there tuning a sample to your gear is the same method one should take as if you were a musician with a sax(what I know how to play well after getting the reed wet enuff) or with a guitar tuner and tightening strings same method with your gear....this is a big deal though with gear, the easiest piece I found is either the mpc or the fantom to get a sample in it and tune it with your synth or other sound.....now if you cant get that concept then it will take you only a few beats and feedback to be told then you should fix it , I dunno but I think more is being made of this than has been made out in the thread...thats just me but the hardest to tune sometimes are low bas sounds tho. ...but anyhow find it hard to believe that someone failed those tests though that is crazy...

Qwerty

Sshsh-Straight fiya!
ill o.g.
bigdmakintrax said:
.thats just me but the hardest to tune sometimes are low bas sounds tho. ...but anyhow find it hard to believe that someone failed those tests though that is crazy...

Yeah, creating a nice bassline is pretty hard. I don't think i am tone deaf, but getting a bassline in tune is always the only thing i find a pain sometime.

Neither do I, I don't see how can someone NOT see the difference in those test, cuz it was pretty obvious I think.

Anyone hear failed the test?????????? ( be brave enuff to admit it lol)

Producer_GyaL

IllMuzik First Lady
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 182
Qwerty said:
I have to agree with that. In you decide to make a song in a certain scale. Then all you have to do really is make sure all the notes are played in the right scale you picked. BUT, when it comes to adding sounds to a sample, like a bass, to find the scale you need to be able to differentiate tones though

someone that can read music or compose music cannot be off tune by making beats... duh..! oh well, again, classic made my point.

J Rilla

Tha Fresh Prince of L.A.
ill o.g.
classic said:
u can know all the music theory in the world, still cant reslove the fact that ur tone def, trust me......
Thats truth rite there....My dad is tone deaf....He plays multiple instruments and reads music pretty welll,but can only replay shy. If he doesnt have the sheet music he has to call me over to find the notes for him...Thank good that shyt aint hereditary

members online