Is it really worth it getting a mac

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
dude first of all you have dual core processors not core 2 duo. Those are totally different processors. Also what mainboard does the dell have? Not as good as the macs. Also the SCSI vs SATA debate is still raging. I think SATA is going to beat SCSI in performance and reliability. Just those couple things alone will make your price difference.

konceptG

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
dude first of all you have dual core processors not core 2 duo. Those are totally different processors. Also what mainboard does the dell have? Not as good as the macs. Also the SCSI vs SATA debate is still raging. I think SATA is going to beat SCSI in performance and reliability. Just those couple things alone will make your price difference.

maybe you need to read that statement again and retract it when you figure out where the problem with it is...

I'll wait...

Core 2 Duo Processors ARE DUAL CORE!!!

The machines I spec'ed out use better-than-core2-duo Xeon 5100 and 5300 series processors. The Mac Pro and Dell Precision series both use dual core Xeon 5150 processors (2.66GHz) . These are workstation/server processors. The mainboards are going to be very similar, in fact, I wouldn't be suprised at all if they both got their boards designed and manufactured directly by Intel.

The SATA vs SAS debate is a non debate. SAS is CLEARLY superior to SATA in every aspect except price (do some research, the debate is over SAS is the winner here). SAS hardware is more expensive, that's it's only down side, but ALL SCSI hardware is more expensive than ATA.

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
alright this is getting pointless...the truth is, the price difference is very small if its there. not to mention an imac is great for beatmaking, a mac pro really is not necessary. use what you;re comfortable with, be it mac or pc.

for me, i can't imagine giving up logic, and i like apple hardware, so its a mac.

konceptG

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Core 2 Duos Are 4 Cores

Dawg... can you READ???

Taken DIRECTLY frim Intel's site:

"Intel® Core™2 Duo processor
The power to perform. With power-optimized enabled dual-core technology and exceptional energy efficiency, the Intel® Core™2 Duo processor excels running the most intense applications."

The Core 2 Duo has two cores (from latin - duo=two), The Core 2 Quad has 4 cores (quad being short for 'quadruple', meaning 'four'), and the Core 2 Extreme, with it's 4 cores and 8mb cache round out the Core 2 line.

Sacred One

I Am One Of God Producers
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
i'm with yall about the mac, but I built my own PC for $1400, 512 video card, 2GB ram, dual core processor, 240 GB of HD space, with two more expansion slots for more HDs and a 16 inch flat screen, and I run monsterous programs all at once. So I'd stay with a PC and just upgrade on your gear, you'll be cool

konceptG

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
also look at that intel link. Core 2 duo and dual core processors are very different.

seriously dude... this is getting irritating. The Core 2 is a two to four CORE processor. The Xeon 5100/5300 is the workstation/server variant of that processor and is also available as a two or four core processor. The Xeon is the processor behind the Mac Pro and Dell's Precision line of workstations.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
osx...mmmm leopard with bootcamp final, on the tech side, you both cant keep up to date with technology cuz both machines are by specs already "yesterdays news". now theres things to say about the osx gui vs xp/vista and i can setup a machine which is really good enough for the things WE do. High end daws are nice but none of us are registring, recording and mixing orchestras in the comfort of our livingroom. GUI wise, the osx is more consumerfriendly and far more nifty, xp or vista both work but thats all i can say about it. no i hadnt mentioned that xp/vista or pc platform is basically ideal for when it comes to aquiring warez, who are you kidding lol but still, those users are killing performance so no matter what expensive gear you hook up to it, you "daw" still sux cuz its not dedicated.

im an apple agent btw......lol

konceptG

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Dude its all good. Ya I used to work in I.T. as well. I do know what a Xeon processor is. Look it up a Dual core processor is one generation older CPU then the Core 2 duos. But hey man I am not trying to be a punk. Its a common misconception.

I still work in IT (maybe 25% of the time now). My primary function is as a multi-dicipline engineer, but I'm in demand as one of the few of us with an IT background (Unix, AS/400, Win32, and VAX).

It's all good money. I say what I do 'cause I work with the stuff every day, I have to stay in the know so our test and research labs are up to date. I just got a shipment of sparkling new IBM HS-21 blades (Xeon 5150 2.66GHz dual core procs/16GB RAM each Blade) to replace the old HS20's I had in service since early 06. IBM offers Core 2 procs in their blades (The HC10 series), but those are the low-end machines. My IBM rep suggested that we keep using the Xeon based machines and upgrade to the 5160's because they're SUPERIOR to the Core 2 in every way. By the end of the week, I'll have a pair of research and simulation clusters fully populated with 14 blade servers with two procs each for a total of 56 processing cores.

You know you wish you could run ProTools on that!!!

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
"SUPERIOR to the Core 2"

Really thats interesting? Let me know how your reasearch goes. Also when I say I used to work in the IT industry, I just switched jobs 2 months ago. I now work for sweetwater sound and I like that way better then working for a tech firm. Are you running unix or Linux on those blades? He said the old Xeons are better than the core 2 dou xeons? Thats the first I have heard of that. So are you a contract guy or do you work for a firm? Anyway its all good.