Is it worth it? ($)

BobCarter

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
There's a small apple store near my college that until last weekend, I never stepped inside. When I did however, I talked to a few knowledgeable employees and asked my usual 20 questions. I was told that the store offers one-on-one ProTools lessons from an instructor who is "ProTools certified." My question you guys: "Is $60 an hour a good rate to pay for instruction with ProTools?" Richmond, Virginia (where I live) is full of music stores, but this is probably the first ProTools lessons-type deal i've come across..

feedback would be great

- bob

RigorMortis

Army Of Darkness
ill o.g.
Well these type of lessons always charge a lot. I never took one of those i'd rather spend my money elsewhere and learn things myself.
But if I would take such lessons my advise to you and me would be.
First play with ProTools yourself and try to find out if you like the working flow. Also once you know it a bit you can ask more indepth questions during the workshop and get more out of it! Plus you can learn more in an hour then when you dont know shit about it already.

T

The Arkitekt

The internet is a library of knowledge and tutorials.

BobCarter

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
haha yeah i just need to learn quickly...i guess its never too late to learn but i feel like i have alot of lost time to make up for but in the meantime, i guess i'll start saving for the ProTools M-box bundle :)

dbit

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I'd say it depends on what your skill level is currently with any DAW and with software in general. For instance I have about a decade of experience with Logic, but very little experience with Pro-tools. I'm now working with a studio that uses both Logic and Pro-tools. To me it would probably be worth the $60 an hour because I already know what I want to do, I just need the instructor to show me where it is and how to do it in pro-tools. If I were not familiar with working on a DAW he could spend an hour just giving me a brief tour of the program and it wouldn't really be that helpful to me. If you really need to learn, take that $60 and find the largest local bookstore you can, a borders or barnes n noble, or guitar centerg, and call them and ask if they have a section of books on media production, or specifically carry any books on pro-tools, go to the store, and look them all over. they should all be around $40. Find one that makes sense to you, buy it, and read it. Problem solved!

Hypnotist

Ear Manipulator
ill o.g.
My suggestion is to link up with another local producer and start by collaborating on some stuff. Everybody and their mom has Pro Tools these days. It's a good way to learn, especially if someone else knows it, and you're a hands-on kinda guy.

Other than that, Illmuzik and the digidesign forums have you covered!

38th||

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
http://www.multi-platinum.com/index.html

Check out the dvd called protools essentials or something like that. its only 25 bucks. you wont be dissappointed.

a crafty person can find all of these videos online

But someone already said it earlier. Learn what you can by trial and error, then if you really decide you need a class atleast you'll have a foundation and have better questions to ask. there is no "fast" way to learn protools in my opinion.

members online