IS KOBE MICHAEL?

• beat this! voting starts in...

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Ok first of all, everyone needs to stop comparing the two. We all know Jordan was in his own league.

I've told my friends from the beginning - Kobe wants to be like Mike. His tongue out, the loose play, the way he shoots, even the way he has his mouth open just standing there. It's hilarious.

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
When Kobe gets seven rings with shitty teams around him, then we can start talking about how he's Michael Jordan.

Kobe had a lot of fucking help winning his championships. Who did Jordan have... Luc Longley. Scottie Pippen was his best partner in crime and he even sucked after Jordan retired.

Jordan is G.O.A.T. If LeBron would've stayed in Cleveland with that shitty team and produced 7 rings, then you could mention LeBron in the same breath as Jordan.

Kobe is the closest there is to Jordan in the modern era, but he ain't Jordan.

Case closed.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
That's a good point because if you look back at MJ's career, when he first came in he had guys like Dave Corzine and Kyle Macy, who were far from superstars. He didn't come in and start winning titles right away, it took a long time to build a championship team. That's what pissed off a lot of people when Lebron went to Miami because it's like he was so hungry for a title that he'd do anything to get it, including teaming up with other top players. Anyway, MJ all day!

ill o.g.
Battle Points: 170
When Kobe gets seven rings with shitty teams around him, then we can start talking about how he's Michael Jordan.

Kobe had a lot of fucking help winning his championships. Who did Jordan have... Luc Longley. Scottie Pippen was his best partner in crime and he even sucked after Jordan retired.

Jordan is G.O.A.T. If LeBron would've stayed in Cleveland with that shitty team and produced 7 rings, then you could mention LeBron in the same breath as Jordan.

Kobe is the closest there is to Jordan in the modern era, but he ain't Jordan.

Case closed.

To take it further...Scottie Pippen wouldn't be a top 50 all time player if not for Jordan. Scottie and Alonzo Mourining have been talking recently about how Lebron is better, but those guys have axes to grind. Jordan thought Zo was soft, and never lived up to his potential, and Pippen has always been in his shadow.

On top of all his attributes, his mental toughness is what separates him from the pack by a long shot.

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
I think these comparisons are more difficult to make these days. For example if you look at hockey, the game has significantly changed since the 80's and 90's. Comparisons have been made between guys like Crosby and Gretzky. The question is, if Gretzky played today, would he have broke all those records? Maybe, maybe not. The dynamics of most team sports change over time, as do the types of players, rules, etc... so I think it would be difficult to say. Maybe if Kobe played at the same time as Jordan things would be different? All good questions.

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Kobe is not too far removed from when Mike played.. remember, Mike was still in the league when Kobe got drafted, and they played against each other a few seasons.. its not like there was a 10-20 year gap between careers.

da relic

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
No, but they were also at two very different points in their careers, Jordan came out of retirement at that point didn't he? I can't remember... anyways, all good points, but I was just point out some factors that may be relevant.

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
No, but they were also at two very different points in their careers, Jordan came out of retirement at that point didn't he? I can't remember... anyways, all good points, but I was just point out some factors that may be relevant.

Nope, MJ played Kobe when he was still with the Bulls: