Is my PC strong enough for production??

phayzebeatz

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
I have a P4 2.8 Ghz w/ 480(?)MB of RAM..with 200GB internal and 100GB external drives both of which are under 30% of each drives capacity (i.e. there's more than enough available space) sometimes when I open up another program, the sound gets choppy and static, my soundcard driver (M-Audio Delta-66) is updated and seems to be fine. Can this be because I dont have enough RAM to support applications like Reason & ReCycle etc? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

adomav17

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
yeah upgrade the ram.... my ram is at 256 or 512 or something lmao... but i get the same problems as you.... so yeah...UPGRADE IT!

phayzebeatz

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Thanks y'all.. I upgraded to 1 GB. But the same problem is there: random clicks and pops in the sound (not only in Reason, but just listening to mp3s as well) plus the same RAM issue, see I installed (2) 512mb chips and yet when I go to Control Panel/System/Properties it says I have 992MB of RAM instead of 1024 or 1020..I feellike whatever is eating up that extra Ram is psrt of the problem

trinidad

The Last B-Boy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
NAW THE S BECAUSE ON A PC ANY AMOUNT OF RAM OR HD SPACE REALLY IS LESS THNA IT SEEMS, 992 is actually a gig thats jus how it works like if u have a 100 gig drive and u really only have 90 gigs usable thats jus how it works. then that could also be ur sound card or some conflick with hardware on the pc

konceptG

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I love how y'all think you need all this RAM and fast ass processors and shit just to make beats...

It all depends on the app(s) you're working with and the OS you're using.

With Win2000, I can knock out beats with a P2 or P3 and 256MB RAM if I'm using FL Studio and Cubase VST 5.1

With XP I've run shit with a P3-850 and 512MB RAM with the same combination.

I've also done it with as little as a P233MMX and 128MB RAM.

I just rebuilt my 1.3GHz Thunderbird over the weekend. It's now an Athlon XP 2000+ w/1GB RAM. I have the RAM primarily for compiling code under Linux.

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
I was gonna say the same... man, your computer is better than mine... and I've been at it for a while...

Ruimixx

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
I think you need to start over and mail me the 100GB external drive! :)

konceptG

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
if you know what you're doin, you can make some nice ass beats with a fuckin old-ass Celeron and a SB Live on Win98SE.

Matter of fact... I'mma do just that. I have a Celeron 466 sittin on a motherboard right now and I can throw it in a case with 256MB or 512MB RAM, 13GB drive, SB Live Value, drop Win98SE on it along with Cubase 5.1R2 and FL Studio 5 and bang out some shit for y'all. Gimmie till next week to build it tho, I'm heading to Cancun Thursday morning.

phayzebeatz

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
one of my partners has a P3 800 or sum shit and it works fine i know. .. i realize that the memory is not the cause of my sound issue ..

Kontents

I like Gearslutz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
I love how y'all think you need all this RAM and fast ass processors and shit just to make beats...

It all depends on the app(s) you're working with and the OS you're using.

With Win2000, I can knock out beats with a P2 or P3 and 256MB RAM if I'm using FL Studio and Cubase VST 5.1

With XP I've run shit with a P3-850 and 512MB RAM with the same combination.

I've also done it with as little as a P233MMX and 128MB RAM.

I just rebuilt my 1.3GHz Thunderbird over the weekend. It's now an Athlon XP 2000+ w/1GB RAM. I have the RAM primarily for compiling code under Linux.

Its not really the fact that you need more or better ram or processors to make beats, but if someone is complaining about there comp not running the app without issues. then its a good place to start

but i know what you mean its not the product you use its how you use it, you could have a f@#k'n tape deck and a bitch like mic to make beats, if the beats are fire there fire thats all there is to it.

BlazedOut

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
yeh i heard somewhere , if u got WIndows Xp , it can only run well on at least 1Gb of Ram
i was on 256 for like 3 years ....finally bought a 1 gb ram a year ago

members online