Is Rap Music?

Architect

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
This was posted on another recording forum (I won't mention the name) but I thought this is a good topic for us (Hip-Hop Producers) here at Illmuzik to discuss and dismiss the nonsense. Who better than the people who create dope music than us to put this on the record once and for all.

These are the main arguments that I've read people saying: (doesn't reflect my views just throwing this out as this is how a lot of musicians and the older generation feel, please note NOT ALL!).

Because most Rap/Hip-Hop producers don't "play" instruments and thus aren't musicians how can Rap be music?

How can Rap be music if the artist or producer has stolen (or paid for) music from other musicians and not actively took part in creating the entire song from scratch?

How can Rap be music, when the whole idea is about making money, fucking hos, bling bling, and being a tough guy? Is that what music is really about or is it just fake entertainment?

People have spent years learning to play an instrument and here comes along a person who doesn't write their own lyrics, or play their own music, get a hit song and become famous and or rich. How can most of these rappers think they are making good music?

These arguments were some of the most prevailing ones I came across, and don't think for a second I agree with all of this (I have my views and of course I believe Rap/Hip-Hop is music) but I just want to get another point of view from some other producers/rappers etc that have grew up listening to Hip-Hop like myself and or who understand the culture better than these Rock & Rollers who only know Rap/Hip-Hop through MTV and BET or bullshit Radio.

Also I have some questions of my own if anyone cares to answer or think about:
How can we make Hip-Hop better for our children, it's obvious that adults aren't the only ones listening to Rap/Hip-Hop but for those of you who have children growing up, how easy will it be for you to let your son or daughter listen to eminem for instance or 50 cent or Trina, etc. What I mean is do you agree that the content of Hip-Hop needs to be improved or do you feel the content is okay and the artists should be able to say what they want?

I know these are lots of questions answer one, answer all, or don't answer at all, but I'm a Hip-Hop lover till I die and I do believe that some positive change is needed in Hip-Hop. Maybe it can start here. Don't get me wrong either I don't think everything should be rosy as far as content either, I understand the streets I've been there, lived there, but when do you get tired of hearing the same ol same ol?

Vice

9ine 2o 5ive Live
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 71
that was alot to read man....lol........seriously though i have a kid on the way (a girl) and thinking about it, i wouldnt really want her to be exposed to some hip hop. Like lil kim, missy elliot, trina, or any of those females, they all have very bad taste in content and its kinda sad...... I would let her bump Lauryn Hill though...... And as for rap changing its content, i will be happy the day that happens. Radio music is always the same stuff, and honestly i am tired of the same ol same ol. We need innovative artist who have more to say than who they shot or what ho' they hooked up with, or how much money they have, cuz life is more than that. Man i could go on forever talkin on this subject, but im gonna leave it at that.....and to answer your question about rap being music......hell yeah its music.....a mpc is an instrament, a turntable is an instrament, though i do respect when a producer can play the piano or guitar, im not going to hold it against you if you cant. Hip Hop is about working with what you got and what you know, and using them to reflect yourself. Its an artform, and a way of life.......

thats my 2cents..............1one

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
if that is the case, than damn near every rnb singer (yes, there are obvious ones- stevie, ray,etc. who DO and are great at it...)would be excluded from making "real" music, because they almost always have writers and outside musicans and producers.

Architect

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
StressWon said:
i think some of the only "REAL" music you can hear will be on city streets and in the subways. People playin for the love.

That's true man, those guys that play in front of the subway's are dedicated, playing for the public all day for little or nothing.

One thing that bothers me that I keep hearing all the time lately is how these Rappers from the Streets say they really weren't into "this Hip-Hop shit" that really makes it clear to me that most of the time their intent is strickly about money. Not about the love of Hip-Hop or about trying to help teach these kids something or even be a positive role model (even if it's a cliche) or even about making some music that will be eternal, that your kids can play when they get older and they're kids as well. We aint leaving any type of positive significant legacy to the next generation except for more money, more murder, more problems! We lead by example and alot of my peers need to recognize whether you have children or not.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
music is music....taking someone else's melodies n such and making their "own sound" is music to me....

i think its more of the image some rappers portray (as stated earlier)......some people have to remember where a lot of these artists are from.....NOTHING.....and to go from nothing to stardom is a transition not easily dealt with an open mind...its like "damn i got some $...let me show off to them people i knew on the block" thats the way its always been.....lettin people know u "made it".....

as in response to viceverse...whether or not its a girl or boy....u wouldnt want them listening to any of it...dont be partial to the women (in case u were) because it works both ways......i however, would let me kids listen to rap if they choose to....i made that choice...and i came out ok...its parental involvement that ultimately shapes who your child "becomes"....my father also showed me about other music....which i also like......i let rap become my choice in music......thats it.....

dont deny your children the music we've come to love so dearly (on behalf of me...lol)
cuz they wouldnt understand why.....

Cs...

Architect

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I disagree that because some of these artists come from "Nothing" that's the reason they act like fools, have foul mouths, etc, etc. That just doesn't hold any weight in my opinion because how many old school R&B artists came from "Nothing"? How many of your favorite Motown singers came from the streets? How many musician's and artists all over the music industry came from nothing? Plenty I bet. A lot of people came from some of the same ghetto's of America just like some of these rappers, and when they came up I would say they had less opportunities than our generation has now.

I don't see the same dedication in some of today's rap stars to really care about the music, it seems to be all about what can Hip-Hop do for me right now, make me rich! What do I have to do in order to become rich, most of the time some of these rappers don't think about how their words will affect people. Even rappers like Jay Z said in so many words that they wish they could be more positive in their material. But it really IS needed, I know that my people (Black people) came from building pyramids, developing some of the worlds greatest wonders, to talking about teach you how to stunt, or bitch better have my money. Just like Killa Priest said "How does Gold turn to Bronze"?

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
im just stating my insight.....my opinion on shit....but i see where ur comin from too though....i wasnt looking at it from an r&b standpoint since the topic was called "is rap music"

also....i dont like when people refer their own "race" (i dont believe in the terminology other than the human race) as "my people" your people are everywhere...no matter what color you are....my people consist of my family..and my friends...and they are of all nationalities and creeds........-shrug-

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
ok imma speak real quick, the cat's you see on the street corner are definitely musician's...go talk to one and let them tell you about their past and I bet they were either giggin on a regular at some point etc....but you know the life of a musician...its like the lottery when it comes to getting a real payday............ok on the question of Rap, is it music......
Simple answer...YES
WHY?
Well stringing together sounds and creating melodies and what you create will export to sheet music...except the samples...LOL but overall you are using the SAME exact skills that a musician that writes music goes thru to create, you are doing it mostly with completely different tools....I am a musician that can read and write sheet music......and I never use those skills when creating as far as writing anything......but it is the same process involved in coming up with a concept......I think its a knock on RAP because it is not really a REFINED artistic expression........MUSIC = ART.....if you use that analagy......there are so many forms of accepted as art.....abstract....or some Michelangelo or some Rembrandt......I feel like the argument is not really valid that rap or hip hop music is not art.....

M

MIKELABZ

Thats Why Its Better To Be A Producing Mc.
Much Of The Rappers We See Are Dependant On Beats.
Since They Cant Afford Studio Time And Studio Beats.
They Have To Dedicaee More Of Their Time Getting Money.
Which Takes Away From The Time They Are Honing Their Craft.
So The Result Is That They Dont Make The Cut.