Is selling beats to Emcees, dead?

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
With all the stuff that's out there today such as Maschine/Renaissance, Reason, Pro Tools, plus a boatload of sample packs, I'm sure there's more and more Emcees making or at least trying to make their own beats.

So with that in mind, do you think that selling beats to Emcees is dead? Or at least on the decline? What do you think?

skidflow

Boom Bap is precious art
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 214
It's always a plus for a really dope emcee to be able to make their own beats. A really dope emcee that has the ability to make beats will make beats with the emcee in mind. He/she will construct a beat that is always "flow friendly" for the most part. But for a lot of these rappers that suck in the mainstream and underground....they might need to stick to getingt beats from cats that are a Lil more musically inclined. Imagine Cheif Keef making his own beats...judging from the way he raps. Lmao

ill o.g.
Battle Points: 170
I'm an outlier I guess. I spit, and 6 years ago I started producing. Odd thing is from the beginning I never consciously made beats with me, or any other rapper in mind. I just recently started doing that. And even though I'm pretty sure I can produce my whole album successfully,I would have no problems buying beats, and I think I would rather do that.

McLovin

Battle Points: 1
Okay at first I immediately thought YES...but now I'm leaning more towards, it depends.
The reason I immediately thought YES is because I havent sold ONE beat, and I'm not really willing to sell joints for $20 and $50 like I see frequently on the web with fellow producers. To me that's free. I know technically its not, but damn $20??? Its like I might as well give the shit away especially if its going to end up on a free mixtape anyway. And what emcee/rapper is going to want to buy my shit when THEY KNOW they're going to give away the song. And what industry emcee/rappers are going to want to pay if THEY NEVER HEARD OF ME? Well damn. I guess these sound like random rants lol.

Like I said maybe its because I never sold shit and I dont know any better. This is probably the "starting from the bottom" perspective. And right now it feels like I'm going to be giving a whole lot of beatz away...so at the moment selling beats to emcees is dead.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I mean really, it should be based on how much time it takes to make the beat, as well as how good it is. It's just like any other type of work, an hourly rate should be calculated, then estimate what the beat is actually worth.

Ozmosis

Sound Tight Productions
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 201
Rap has always been about your crew. Every set of rappers had their own guy or guys making the beats. Wu-tang Rza, Swiss beats all the ruff riders, mannie fresh and cash money and etc.... All these new rappers like kendrick lamar also has guys in their circle who make beats. I think its tough for the solo producer and rapper.

wrightboy

Formally Finnigan
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 7
Rap has always been about your crew. Every set of rappers had their own guy or guys making the beats. Wu-tang Rza, Swiss beats all the ruff riders, mannie fresh and cash money and etc.... All these new rappers like kendrick lamar also has guys in their circle who make beats. I think its tough for the solo producer and rapper.
nice point

ill o.g.
Okay at first I immediately thought YES...but now I'm leaning more towards, it depends.
The reason I immediately thought YES is because I havent sold ONE beat, and I'm not really willing to sell joints for $20 and $50 like I see frequently on the web with fellow producers. To me that's free. I know technically its not, but damn $20??? Its like I might as well give the shit away especially if its going to end up on a free mixtape anyway. And what emcee/rapper is going to want to buy my shit when THEY KNOW they're going to give away the song. And what industry emcee/rappers are going to want to pay if THEY NEVER HEARD OF ME? Well damn. I guess these sound like random rants lol.

Like I said maybe its because I never sold shit and I dont know any better. This is probably the "starting from the bottom" perspective. And right now it feels like I'm going to be giving a whole lot of beatz away...so at the moment selling beats to emcees is dead.

I know how u feel, but u gotta believe in yourself, the quality of your beats and just keep getting better. I communicate with a producer from the U.K(.http://soundcloud.com/kbee-original )who sells beats pretty consistently priced between $15-$25 for leases. I asked him about that selling tactic and he explained it. It works for him. So he may lease 1 beat to 15 rappers and be satisfied with that $225, with the option of making more, instead of charging $300 and not getting any business.

I prefer your method. The price is what it is. That said, I try to accommodate (give them a certain number of free beats) artists I feel are talented. Haven't mad any cash yet, but one underground rapper has selected 5 of my beats and recorded to one. It hasn't been released yet. And I sent him over 80 beats! 5 out of 80. You gotta keep grindin tho.

2infamouz

Mad Beats, No Angry Vegetables
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 10
I think a lot of more serious artists are looking for their tracks to be completely produced not just to buy a beat off of soundclick or w.e . A lot of people on the internet are 'beat makers' with "productions" in their name. I know I'd personally prefer to work with the same producer from the making of the beat through to recording the vocals and mixing the track, then send it off to get mastered...I guess it's easier now for people to record themselves so they feel they can cut out the producer in that step of the process, but that's why there's so many garbage songs out on youtube and everywhere else on the internet (I've added my fair share of garbage songs to the internet with a DIY mentality). Buying / Selling beats isn't completely dead but it's for sure a saturated market and more for the basement/bedroom producers/artists IMO.

McLovin

Battle Points: 1
I know how u feel, but u gotta believe in yourself, the quality of your beats and just keep getting better. I communicate with a producer from the U.K(.http://soundcloud.com/kbee-original )who sells beats pretty consistently priced between $15-$25 for leases. I asked him about that selling tactic and he explained it. It works for him. So he may lease 1 beat to 15 rappers and be satisfied with that $225, with the option of making more, instead of charging $300 and not getting any business.

I prefer your method. The price is what it is. That said, I try to accommodate (give them a certain number of free beats) artists I feel are talented. Haven't mad any cash yet, but one underground rapper has selected 5 of my beats and recorded to one. It hasn't been released yet. And I sent him over 80 beats! 5 out of 80. You gotta keep grindin tho.

Thanks for that response. That $15-$20 shit is just amazing to me. And yup I considered that Rick Ross method of "hell who cares if a sell a million on one album, as long as I can sell 200,000 each time with 5 different albums it doesnt matter". I really thought about doing it...but I just cant see it yo.

ill o.g.
Thanks for that response. That $15-$20 shit is just amazing to me. And yup I considered that Rick Ross method of "hell who cares if a sell a million on one album, as long as I can sell 200,000 each time with 5 different albums it doesnt matter". I really thought about doing it...but I just cant see it yo.
Respect.

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
It's not dead. It's just that it's not as profitable as it used to be in getting a placement on a major record. It depends on your inherent social network within the industry. If you're selling beats to run of the mill rappers on the internet, your price point will be invariably lower than having a beat passed around among A&R and real music industry contacts.

The democratization of music has led to great things, like giving one accessibility to the technology to make professional beats. However, if you can couple that production with songwriting-- you're already in a different league.

The downside is the competition, which brings down the price point of the production. Any kid with a laptop can make a decent beat these days, the barriers to entry are so low now that it's almost a joke. Before, you had to have thousands of dollars in sampling equipment, studio gear and synths just to get something palatable in front of a producer, rapper or exec.

I would say learn to differentiate yourself by doing the following:

1) Understand and learn the craft of SONGWRITING not just "making beats."
2) Learn to professional mix your songs. Take classes if necessary.
3) Learn as much as you can about the engineering and scientific side of the recording process.

Again, this will help you, but you will also encounter more barriers as pay-to-play universities like "Full Sail University" are training folks in these particular fields (except songwriting, which takes time to learn). Then you have a bunch of folks who have technical knowledge you can compete with.

Again, it's back to the basics: building a PERSONAL NETWORK you can rely on. Also, being in the right area. You're just not going to be the hottest producer in the world living in Fargo, North Dakota, no matter how many hot beats you make. I don't care if it's the next greatest album, you need exposure to the right contacts.

Hope that helps.

Zacky_G

This is true. Leasing your beats are usually a much better option unless you have a strong relationship with a certain artist.

And I cannot stress enough that the amount of beats you sell online mostly depends on how well you do your marketing. If you haven't even got a decent website where you can set yourself apart from the crowd, you'll have little chance of success.

This is true. Leasing your beats are usually a much better option unless you have a strong relationship with a certain artist.

And I cannot stress enough that the amount of beats you sell online mostly depends on how well you do your marketing. If you haven't even got a decent website where you can set yourself apart from the crowd, you'll have little chance of success.
I dunno. I had a website, the traffic was good too. But still no sales. all my real opportunities came from real world networking.
I would say success selling beats starts with having good beats to sell. Second to that would be marketing. After that i would say your attitude and how you deal with people. Not to mention work ethic, professionalism, reliability. Sprinkle that with a bit of luck and a healthy budget and anything is possible.

Zacky_G

I dunno. I had a website, the traffic was good too. But still no sales. all my real opportunities came from real world networking.
I would say success selling beats starts with having good beats to sell. Second to that would be marketing. After that i would say your attitude and how you deal with people. Not to mention work ethic, professionalism, reliability. Sprinkle that with a bit of luck and a healthy budget and anything is possible.

I agree with everything you said. You can't have one without the other.

A website is just a means of exposure. If you get creative and your shit goes viral, trust me, it has a big impact. That's when you need to be prepared to capitalize.

members online