Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207

dahkter

Ill Muzikoligist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
I was just thinking of this last night, I went to a party, EVERYONE has their cellphone in their hand, either texting or reading or talking or whatever.
Here's my take on it:
Cellphones are the new cigarettes.
I remember ten years ago, if people didn't know what to do with their hands or were awkward, they would light a cigarette and focus on that. Now instead of lighting a cigarette (cause you can't do that in bars anymore), people pull out there cellphones and mentally travel far away.
It's definitely fucked up.
BTW - the new Dentyne ad campaign is awesome, they got the ads on the subway, it's all about putting down the technology and getting some human contact.

Quality

Godson of the Clapper
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 19
I was just thinking of this last night, I went to a party, EVERYONE has their cellphone in their hand, either texting or reading or talking or whatever.
Here's my take on it:
I remember ten years ago, if people didn't know what to do with their hands or were awkward, they would light a cigarette and focus on that. Now instead of lighting a cigarette (cause you can't do that in bars anymore), people pull out there cellphones and mentally travel far away.
BTW - the new Dentyne ad campaign is awesome, they got the ads on the subway, it's all about putting down the technology and getting some human contact.

Good oberservation yo! Now that you mention it, I definitely can see that happening at all the parties I've been scoping.

Now that I have my own laptop, I know its easier for me to just chill in my room and work on beats than go do other social things.

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
Here's my take on it:

haha i noticed those adds too..

Cell 2Dee

Bloody Fingers
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 110
Here's my take on it:
It's definitely fucked up

I agree with that completely.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
I think it does, but its weird, because in a way if your online then your (in say this forum) being very social, but ignoring the actual real people around you thus making you antisocial at the same time.
It does though, its much easier to stay inside and converse or fiddle with gadgets than to go outside and have to interact with people in your face.
Online its much easier to be social because there arent all the body language cues that might make you stfu in a group setting.
If I dont already know you in person I dont always say that much.

glassJAw

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Yes I think so. I'm affected by it. I sit on the computer for hours and hours.

Sometimes I would like to talk to a girl that I don't know but they're on their cellphone or have their iPod on playing music.

That's life I suppose.

divineaspex

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Yo, I was about to do a research paper on this a few weeks ago for a social theories class. I was severely handicapped by the internet growing up. I had no social life till about the end of my junior year in high school. Till this day I still have problems with casual conversation, actually I'm almost terrified of public speaking. Although a few shots of vodka makes everything a little less tense.

skidflow

Boom Bap is precious art
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 214
As stated in Zeitgiest 2, technology needs to be advanced so it frees us all to be more social. I think people would socialize less without technology in THIS day and time. Just think of how busy we are now with the lil technology we have that makes our life easier. I would hardly talk to anyone period without my cell being that I'm in between two jobs and whatnot.

KurtisRich

Pussy Monster
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 13
I think technology made it easier for people to socialize to a certain extent. I used to go to AOL chatrooms back in the days and i can say that I wouldn't have known the people I know today if it wasn't for that. It's easier to keep in touch with people these days than it used to be. The only downside is that, I hardly use my phone as much as I used to because I send too much text to people that I don't even feel like calling people. Also, when I'm waiting in a room, the only thing I look at to "look busy" is my cell phone so I wouldn't feel akward. So I guess some people don't socialize publically. They just like to socialize with their PEERS.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
It's fucking annoying. Every single day on my way to work I see everyone with a "toy": some sort of device like a phone, ipod, etc but it's like as if everyone just wants to zone out and stay in their own little world. It's like when someone is sitting in a double seat on a bus and puts their bag on the other seat cause they don't want anyone sitting next to them. Take that and multiply it by 100 and that's what society is today.

I remember when I was kid, my parents would have relatives, neighbors, friends over for coffee and conversation. Today - are you kidding me? You can barely get people to speak to you! It's scary because years from now what's it going to be like? Already people walk around texting and not looking up, they're missing everything around them. Imagine 20 years from now?

skidflow

Boom Bap is precious art
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 214
It's fucking annoying. Every single day on my way to work I see everyone with a "toy": some sort of device like a phone, ipod, etc but it's like as if everyone just wants to zone out and stay in their own little world. It's like when someone is sitting in a double seat on a bus and puts their bag on the other seat cause they don't want anyone sitting next to them. Take that and multiply it by 100 and that's what society is today.

I remember when I was kid, my parents would have relatives, neighbors, friends over for coffee and conversation. Today - are you kidding me? You can barely get people to speak to you! It's scary because years from now what's it going to be like? Already people walk around texting and not looking up, they're missing everything around them. Imagine 20 years from now?
Hopefully in 20 years technology will be so advanced we wont have anything to do but socialize and fellowship with one another...the family structure will become strong again.

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
Ya, fuck it, I don't have a cell phone, and I don't need one. It's practical, I'll give it that, but people become obsessed. I can't stand hanging out with friends and they constantly answer their phones! That shit really pisses me off. It's like everything though, why walk when you can drive? What really fucks me up is, I teach little kids English in Korea, and some of them, maybe 6-7 years old, have cell phones! Eventually people will fade out just like greenbacks, like on some ghost in the machine shit.

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
Haha, ya, technology is great, but it fucks up priorities and time always seems to fly by so fast.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
There's a saying..."We do not enherit the earth from our ancestors - we borrow it from our children.", What we're doiing today has a greater impact on our future than what our ancestors did for us. Who gets up to turn a TV? Who wants to wait an hour for our food to cook? We are blinded by what technology is doing to us. That fine line between what is best for us and what we want to satisfy us is nothing more than a blurr these days.

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
all u hafta u do is ride the subway... psp's, ipods, DSs, blackberries,iphones, treos, shit, i see cats with laptops watchin movies n shit... if i dont have my psp with me, ive been late for work goin back in the crib to get it...lol... but the funny shit is when the train gets rerouted on another line, and the people with headphones on dont realize they goin the wrong way till about 2 or 3 stations and start complainin to the conductor... mofo, he made the announcement.... turn that shit down! lol... i love that shit.

da relic

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Haha....that was a good story slik. lol. People do get way to caught up in technological gadgets fa sho....

My cell phone actually just broke yesterday and you dont realize how much u rely on something like that until its gone tho. I mean, im not a big caller. I maybe recieve like 1-2 calls a day at the most, but its def really useful when your trying to find someone in a crowded place or get some info to someone who cant talk immediately but can sneak their phone out to check their text messages....so in that respect, i think cell phones are still highly useful.
Its when the fucking things attached to your head 24/7 thats a problem.