Is There Anything Wrong With Ghost Writing in Hip Hop?

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
yeah bro, if you think that there is some kind of difference between lord finesse, percee p, trick daddy, and jadakiss, then you may be a little confused when it comes to the hip hop culture. Content doesn't determine how "hip hop" an emcee is.

I mean to a guy sitting in berlin a place like the "dirty south" and South Beach may not seem as "hip hop" as say, I dunno, NYC. But if I told you that within the last 8 months 2 nationally respected graf artists gave their lives contributing to the culture down here you might take a different perspective as to the Hip Hopiness of what goes on down here.

The point is Hip Hop is like the Bible to a good Christian, you gotta take it all...Not just pick and choose those artists that speak to you personally and disregard what you don't understand or cant relate to as not "Hip Hop", or "Pop" or "Commercial" or whatever the kids are calling it nowadays.

Very well said sir.

Mono I feel you though , it seems like alot of the rules were broken in the culture and now even when you like a track it seems perverted(note not in sexual sense the it has been changed/warped into something not always completely desirable) or something..

Lol I can understand that .

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
As stated earlier...It's just like sampling a record...Sure it's not your original piece, but you make it yours...

Nothing wrong with it...A lot of industry cats get money off of ghost writing, too. Shit..Sauce Money made some money writing for Diddy....he couldn't sell records on his own and make the money that way...why not?

I feel Mono on the whole respect thing, "how can you stand there and rap like you're the shit when someone else wrote it for you?"

My answer to that is this...Unless you have another way for them to be just as appealing to the audience with their own content....let it be.....

I've spoken to people about this before and it was paralleling "selling out", because you are essentially dumbing down your lyrics. Shit...you're in the business to make money and anyone who has a job wants to make more money/keep their job..so you gotta do what you gotta do...respect it or not, it is a necessity in the game...

Queenofex

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
From a business perspective yes ghost writing makes sense

from a hip hop lover and writer persective as in me lol

No I'm not down with it at all because on a personal level I feel like your selling a piece of you as a writer and secondly the artist isn't truely authentic more like a gimmick.

I would die if I found out any of my favorite rappers had ghost writers. I'm more into content so that would be a damaging low blow.