is there really no limitations

Nuff B

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
this is a touchy subject but this aint for the samplers this is for my true composers. when i listen 2 cater to u, and alot of r&b i really feel limited because the quality of alot of sf2,and vst shit aint up there with the motifs and shit. besides that its all good. am i the only 1 that feels this way about fl.....?

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
yes, but see you can arrive at the same type of outcome, but if you have dry sounds, which even on the high end boards if you use the patches without preset fx they are Dry...the thing to remember is anyone can be a sound designer to an extent, but the difference in the Team and whole staff of people that build these workstations and racks is that they have had generations of equipment to formulate good synthesis and good sound engines (hopefully with each new release)...so you have to think, not only are these just some cats sitting around wondering how a sound should be with the Fx or how realistic there are some pretty educated people doing it and they want their sounds to reflect what they know how to do.....with that, any soundfont can be tweaked with the proper FX, just like anything else you need to use your ear and match up what's pleasing.......now if you have good samples to begin with you can come pretty close and if you got real samples and instruments you can approach a certain level of quality....but if you want well crafted realistic sounds like what a majority of the motif sounds are you need to search for a rack or module that has good reviews, not that you won't find them on the software but some of the patches that I heard coming out the box and the synths you find in the software packages need a good amount of tweaking to sound HOT....there is presets you can get for refills for Reason but still if you have the program and a good workstation sitting side by side there is no doubt about what the efx will do for you, and also some of the simulations of the strings and such....you need to use your ear, and many of the arguments can either go away or you will find the truth, even with any level of tweaking...you will always be searching for the best or most realistic sounds....I myself have reason and Fruity but I would rather sample the workstations and use them myself...or find good samples of real instruments.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
eventualy its all about the mix, whether thats plugs etc I mean, there are enough techniques to make a vst sound more authentic.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
you can trigger a rack thru fruity loops, I was doing that with my old mo phatt about 3 or 4 years back using Fruity loops and it's better handling that now too with the newest version, just last year I was running my Fantom XR and Alesis QSR thru it, and recording the output into fruity for each track...how you like that? is that what you were wondering about?? yeah Formant is right about that, but a flat, dry sound is just that until you do add that right verb and chorus or whatever else you need to breathe some dimension to it...

afriquedeluxe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 221
am not a fl user but i can relate a little. while reason has great sounds, they certainly are not up to par with the motifs and korgs and what nots. but you just have to work with what you have and max it out. if you feel you have done that, or can afford something better, go out buy a motif. thats exactly what am doing in a couple of weeks, getting myself a motif rack es :)

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
afriquedeluxe said:
am not a fl user but i can relate a little. while reason has great sounds, they certainly are not up to par with the motifs and korgs and what nots. but you just have to work with what you have and max it out. if you feel you have done that, or can afford something better, go out buy a motif. thats exactly what am doing in a couple of weeks, getting myself a motif rack es :)
Man Afrique I can't wait to hear what you gonna do with that man! damn congrats on getting the gear.

O

open mind

one thing needs to be mentioned even if u have "HARDWARE" like motif,korg,fantom etc.dont forget that this so called "HARDWARE" emulates the sounds with "SOFTWARE" because its not a "REAL" instruments u feel me? but the question is why this enginers cant do such good emulation from instruments on software for the pc? maybe the reason is just simple as that its MONEY if we able do have such sounds on pc then they dont sell the korgs,fantoms,motifs like they do now.
to make a long story short the answer for the first post is MONEY fucks our sounds.peace.

*edit* and yes congrats on afriquedeluxe on buying that motif.iam very curious if this fact will make your beats better cant wait to hear sum.iam really looking up to you on the showcase or wuteva peace.

AMG

God:Mind~Asiatic
ill o.g.
Nuff B said:
how do trigger a rack threw fl.

with MIDI Out lugin generator. look at the FL help file for more details. it's a pretty powerful generator.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
open mind said:
one thing needs to be mentioned even if u have "HARDWARE" like motif,korg,fantom etc.dont forget that this so called "HARDWARE" emulates the sounds with "SOFTWARE" because its not a "REAL" instruments u feel me? but the question is why this enginers cant do such good emulation from instruments on software for the pc? maybe the reason is just simple as that its MONEY if we able do have such sounds on pc then they dont sell the korgs,fantoms,motifs like they do now.
to make a long story short the answer for the first post is MONEY fucks our sounds.peace.

*edit* and yes congrats on afriquedeluxe on buying that motif.iam very curious if this fact will make your beats better cant wait to hear sum.iam really looking up to you on the showcase or wuteva peace.

hardware is more than the latest preset synths ( sorry, but thats how 90% of peeps use them ). With hardware I mean with what you mix, or what you use in the mix, the synth isnt relevant ( a synth is, btw, a real instrument, a rompler is not, it does not emulate but is based on pcm samples with additive synthesis meaning an osc wasnt in the process, but envelope and filter were ). In regards to why engineers cant make do good emulation...dont blame the engineers...blame yourself and have a good look at your setup or grow in experience...djeez, you dont become a mixwizard overnight lol Take a good 4/5 years and buy a piece of processing gear ( or a bunch, trade one for another and another and another ). From a perspective like that you would know what you need to achieve a particulair sound in the mix and there is no quick alternative ( know the oems, know the models and know when to use what to get what you want...get it lol ).

O

open mind

hardware aint shit without software so again if u talking about hardware instrument u are lying because its software based.the only hardware instruments are the real instruments like a real guitar etc.GET IT?

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Formant024 said:
hardware is more than the latest preset synths ( sorry, but thats how 90% of peeps use them ). With hardware I mean with what you mix, or what you use in the mix, the synth isnt relevant ( a synth is, btw, a real instrument, a rompler is not, it does not emulate but is based on pcm samples with additive synthesis meaning an osc wasnt in the process, but envelope and filter were ). In regards to why engineers cant make do good emulation...dont blame the engineers...blame yourself and have a good look at your setup or grow in experience...djeez, you dont become a mixwizard overnight lol Take a good 4/5 years and buy a piece of processing gear ( or a bunch, trade one for another and another and another ). From a perspective like that you would know what you need to achieve a particulair sound in the mix and there is no quick alternative ( know the oems, know the models and know when to use what to get what you want...get it lol ).
Most people might not know what a formant is LOL but anyhow, how about a comb filter? anyhow everything you said is true, I got to learn about synthesis on a k5000 and using sounddiver software, you can take a wave or sample like you said, put it in the synth and it makes and identically synthesized version of the wave you put in, ( the k5000 used subtractive synthesis though which is what made it unique from all other synths that use additive like you also stated)......as far as I know a synth is real instrument, it might not be considered like an acoustic instrument but it's definitely an electronic instrument as a sampler is....
I think to an extent both of you guys are right, most hardware like samplers do have some type of firmware OS running as the brain, just like a computer, but the difference and biggest deal that most people that start to go toward a debate over is the fact of using pads and your hands, as opposed to using the mouse and clicking...LOL....but the other deal is definitely that while you probably can get some kickass sounds on VST....the factor that a piece of hardware has is that it was built specifically for music or the function of what it is advertised to do.....so with that you could go on and on down to the audio processing, sequencer and so on.......we all know to the ear there is not a huge difference, where the difference comes from for the most part is in the process and what you prefer.....I prefer to be more personal and have more control over my sound shaping by hitting pads, turning knobs and buttons on the piece of gear....I also like using a mouse for selecting and arranging...its all on what you see as efficient, none of it is easy so you gonna find YOUR easiest way to make a track or shape a sound and get the result you want.....

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
open mind said:
hardware aint shit without software so again if u talking about hardware instrument u are lying because its software based.the only hardware instruments are the real instruments like a real guitar etc.GET IT?

get it?! ...lol

There is no software in a real synth, im talking real synths ( analog, not va ), there is only machinelanguage from a certain point in the history of synths but shortly after an OS is used on top of it to enable more degrees of control, unable by machinelanguage. Like the myth of the mpc's timing, this is only true with mpc60 MKI which is machinelanguage only, all the mpc's after that have an OS running on top ( boot or flash ). You can consider machinelanguage as software but it is not relevant to the topic, synths dont make a track sound great whether that's VA or analog, os or not. If I was to take a Virus, send it through an Orange or Marshall cabinet and arm a Solidtube in front of it and start pushing the gain you wouldnt hear the difference between VA or Analog ( and there is no software involved ).

A VA emulates but an analog does too, without software and guess what it emulates...( you'd never guess but D does lol).

In regards to why you cant emulate everything decently...algorhytmnes are snapshots and rarely have parameters added of the environment which has influence on whatever it is you're trying to emulate and even if there are parameters to alter the condition of you want to emulate, its mostly based on that single snapshot...that's why a real 808 shits on any samplekit. It could be good, but not authentic and definitly not convincing when you KNOW the difference...so how about you go knowing before you think you GET IT. Maybe you dont understand what Im saying all the more reason to try stuff out and start looking at the bigger picture of the producer game.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
bigdmakintrax said:
Most people might not know what a formant is LOL but anyhow...

They should read my signature, though that's more like a riddle to a noob hehe ( but a good place to start learning ......[fill in the blank] synthesis )

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
You have to learn not to try to argue with Formant boys and girls... he knows his shit... lol (man, every time I read one of his replies, I gotta make a quick search on wikipedia... lol j/k)

O

open mind

LMFAO yeah man dont ***** with formant (he gonna make u look dumb) :) nah iam kidding.
he really gets technical and thats a good thing.

members online