Is This A Good Move?

yungboss

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
I've been sending my friend some of my beats to make shoutout videos on his youtube. Is this a gud move or should I conserve my beats for better use?

eldiablo

KRACK HEAD
ill o.g.
can't hurt. it's not costing you $$$.
sometimes you gotta watch how much free work you do for the homies.

yungboss

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Thanx guys....umma see how far this goes. I also got a contact from this guy over youtube to use one of my beats. I charged him cash, and never heard from him again. I'm guessing this was a bad move.

yungboss

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
iite cool....umma jus copyright them,,,, the only person umma give them to is my friend, since he's jus using them for videos.

eldiablo

KRACK HEAD
ill o.g.
that can get kinda expensive if your not making any $$ off of them. i dont see the point in copywriting stuff your giving to your friend. if somebody did steal one of your beats, how much $$ would they have to make before you got pissed enough to get a lawyer and sue. there is a thin line between practical and imaginary.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
Word...that's free promotion.....

lion-ucs

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Its not a bad move
In fact its a great move

You cant go off moving your queen all over when you haven't even gotten your pawns out on the board.

Oh, and your beats are already copyrighted. You can register your copyright, BUT do you really think its necessary?

I myself am behind the Creative Commons and CopyLeft movement.

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
I've been sending my friend some of my beats to make shoutout videos on his youtube. Is this a gud move or should I conserve my beats for better use?

I went into great detail about production and video sharing sites in the last conference call done this summer for Illmuzik. To get to the point: Video is "the new frontier" for producers and still a very untapped market for producers to get into. Every DVD, short film, freestyle, diss video all needs music so you need to position yourself as the go-to-guy.

LouBez

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Boss, one thing to keep in mind though...once you get to a level where you have amassed some decent industry contacts your gonna wanna keep your best music under lock and key. This is because the first thing an a&r will ask you is "do you have a sound click acct, has anybody heard these tracks" most times they'll pass on anything you have online unless its an undisputed classic, and if you wind up actually being able to move a track you ve used online its gonna be for a price you wont really be happy with. The more professionally you approach your music career the more professionally pll will treat you.

Thanx guys....umma see how far this goes. I also got a contact from this guy over youtube to use one of my beats. I charged him cash, and never heard from him again. I'm guessing this was a bad move.

If I could count all the people that had said they wanted to buy a beat, only for me never to hear from them again. Dont worry about it, too many people want everything for nothing these days.
Just be careful to choose who you will do free work for.
I personally do a lot of free work with long time ill members, and emcees Im really feeling, and feel could take my music to a wider audience. Nobody can hear your music if its stuck on the pc, which is why Im finally after 15 yrs, about to drop an instrumental album or two.
My first album Themeology is an album of my soundtracky type compilations, not strictly hip hop, but a few of them have that hip hop feel going on.
Im not sure about dropping a sampled album, I might just do it and say fuck it, and hope for the best, legal wise.
I wouldnt be able to afford sample clearance.