Is Today’s Hip-Hop Trash or Are We Just Getting Old? Spoiler Alert: The Answer Is ‘Yes’

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
@NoWairMan the main difference in this era and past eras regarding Hip Hop is that material of artists that became classic over time would at best in this era be thrown on all music sharing sites and/or social media platforms as demos, in other words the deluge of music is the bigger issue. Also art and artists aren't allowed to gestate because of instant gratification. I personally feel all eras have had and do have trash music.

NoWairMan

Battle Points: 6
@NoWairMan the main difference in this era and past eras regarding Hip Hop is that material of artists that became classic over time would at best in this era be thrown on all music sharing sites and/or social media platforms as demos, in other words the deluge of music is the bigger issue. Also art and artists aren't allowed to gestate because of instant gratification. I personally feel all eras have had and do have trash music.
I agree with you... With no genre spared. Bad music is bad music. It seems to me that the quality of music, whatever the trend, follows the cliche, “It’s always darkest before the dawn.” By this I mean that the market gets flooded with every iteration of “what’s popular” right before the demand for it bottoms out, and the next ‘sound’ or direction for the genre emerges. Some good/great but most hurried or half-thought, in wreckless pursuit of their seat on the bandwagon, before it breaks down or crashes. And, it’s not the artists... It’s the corporate sausage-factory trying to squeeze out every last drop. When the wave does break, a handful or so will still be on the shore, while most of the lot will be washed away into the abyss. Not saying they all won’t have their dedicated fans, or recurrent position in the rotation of “air-play.” We all like to “Set Adrift on Memory Bliss” (PM Dawn; lol).
When it does happen, I just hope I’m still hip and cultured enough to appreciate it, and still think it sounds like music, rather than noise like my folks think of Hip Hop/EDM*, now. =)
(*except Dub-Step; it IS noise... Like two robots gettin’ busy, or something. Bhahaha. Just playing.)
I do believe modern technology has made things a bit worse, unfortunately... My analogy would be computer and software manufacturers; they are completely fine with releasing an unfinished or less-than-perfect product on time to market, with the attitude of, “oh, we’ll just fix it in the next patch, maybe... If the sales figures are right.” Ever notice how once the next generation device/software comes out, it seems like the previous one (usually the one I own) all of a sudden gets completely ignored..? (Updates become scarce, compatibility issues, etc...) Quantity over quality, and how it looks on paper are what matters, these days. A few pennies below your projected share price for the quarter and you’re yesterday’s news.

Last edited:

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
There's so many factors involved that's it's hard to answer. My simple answer: yes, today's music is trash.

Of course there's still good music being created today but regardless of what it is, it's watered down because there's too much out there plus it's just too easy to make music. Labels, social media, and the need to be famous has driven so many of these "artists" to try and make music.

To me, the ones that are quietly making beats, freestyling and scratching without making music noise are the ones still doing it right. The ones focusing on their look are the ones that are trash. It's like it's people that are famous for being famous and then they decide to make music.

I could go on and on, but I really do believe the music today is nowhere near what it once was, and that goes for ALL music. Just take a look at the Grammys and see for yourself.

YayYayYanni

Battle Points: 4
Its partially Trash in my opinion because we now have rappers who dont care about the culture of hiphop itself which is crazy to me ..Seems like its more of a popularity contest then actually being a dope artists but there are exceptions "J Cole,KDOT,Chance.JID,Earthgang" but the majority rappers lack versatility and everything is monkey see monkey do no ones original

NoWairMan

Its partially Trash in my opinion because we now have rappers who dont care about the culture of hiphop itself which is crazy to me ..Seems like its more of a popularity contest then actually being a dope artists but there are exceptions "J Cole,KDOT,Chance.JID,Earthgang" but the majority rappers lack versatility and everything is monkey see monkey do no ones original

Yup... And, I would hardly call the “Like, Follow, Repost” thing we got goin’ now CULTURE... Technology changed that, too. The path, as an artist, changed. Now, all you have to do is go viral or f*ck a Kardashian. There used to be a code;
IMG_4780.GIF

(And if the code’s gone, we should at least get a Kardashian, right..?) heh :]

Last edited:

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
@YayYayYanni you have to think about the definition of culture, which is the transferal of ideas, etc. Think about how many old heads didn't and/or don't want to reach out the young heads and conveniently forget as old heads that they were once young and maybe (or not) dumb and reckless in the business regarding their behavior, etc. and are now acting as if the behavior of young artists today is shocking (it is re: XXXTentacion, Kodak, etc.) but social media is why youth and many adults have no chill as to broadcasting everything they do and you also have a business culture that continues to reward antisocial behaviors.

I don't expect today's artists to care about a culture when the idea of culture is dead and/or dying but not ironically I care about all of Black music culture.

NoWairMan

@YayYayYanni you have to think about the definition of culture, which is the transferal of ideas, etc. Think about how many old heads didn't and/or don't want to reach out the young heads and conveniently forget as old heads that they were once young and maybe (or not) dumb and reckless in the business regarding their behavior, etc. and are now acting as if the behavior of young artists today is shocking (it is re: XXXTentacion, Kodak, etc.) but social media is why youth and many adults have no chill as to broadcasting everything they do and you also have a business culture that continues to reward antisocial behaviors.

I don't expect today's artists to care about a culture when the idea of culture is dead and/or dying but not ironically I care about all of Black music culture.

I think there’s a period in every culture’s music in which it’s participants choose to ‘turn a blind eye;’ Latinos are STILL trying to forget about Ricky Martin on that jet ski, for example... =o
Perhaps, one day, parts of this era of Hip Hop will be similar.

ATR360

ReZoUnD
Battle Points: 42
I think most of us that have issue with today's music...are just old school. I'm from Houston and remember dj screw called out for just slowing down music. I used to jamit and in that time line bone thugs was hated on. Spm, lil flip, and remember Mike Jones who...Mike Jones. I have tried to hate on today's music but then have found myself enjoying it depending on my mood. To be honest I like it. Example, Picasso...is his art "real" compared to Michael Angelo. Run DMC compared to Bone thugs. If it's entertaining or moves you, I say job well done. How do we get across a barrier...? It's the same in producing beats for hip hop or rap. Some beats or 90% samples and others or 100% original, which is "real"? So when I hear someone say this song is trash...that's 100% opinion. "One man's trash is another man's treasure". In this forum my perspective is in the minority but in others not so, two sides to a book. I believe we should focus on our self's and keep an open mind, also go a step further and collab with the new and not in force what's "real"...just create together and see if it sets new trends and break on through to the other side, break on through, break on through...um Jim?