Is your fav producer no longer your favorite?

nobodyfamous

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Ok, once upon a time when I started producing almost 3 years ago The Neptunes were my favorite producers (i know a lot of you hate them) but now, I am my favorite producer! But, now that I have some knowledge of music, things like drum programming, music theory, chords, etc. the neps just don't do it for me any more, i even hear them getttin comfortable (which is like the downfall of n e thing great) I listen to "Change Clothes" for example, the one note bassline and simple piano progression is really crap! I know what they are capable of, i.e. the whole n.e.r.d. cd which had amazing production and a few others, but basically, they are no longer my fav. do you think this happens b/c we are getting better and realize whats going on or maybe because we just get tired of them?

mercurywaters

hip hop in the flesh
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 32
i think in the commercial music industry they want hits. they don't care if its the same sound as your last hit as long as its a hit. in the end the 'artist' chooses the beat. if everyone asks for the same then thats what you provide. i'm sure the neptunes have a variety of music, but if everyone wants a pop hit, then thats what they make.

primo was one of my fav producers but everyone goes to him for the same type of beats. hard drums chopped sample. headnodder. i remember primo from gang star days and jeru albums. it was a variety of sounds he could produce. i guess with popularity comes redundancy.

soundboy2

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
The general public prefers simplicity, women don't know any thing about chord progression, That N.E.R.D was probally their worst selling project. Plus when you got Jay rapping, you don't much.
I bet you the Neptunes got a vault of some lovely stuff that they listen to for themselves That they know wouldn't be a "hit" in the commercial realm.

I know your art and your craft is more important, but I don't knock them for getting it while its hot, You can make deeper music for the rest of your life.

nobodyfamous

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
oh, i dont knock them for getting it while the getting is good either, when it comes down to it, they are in a business, they have to supply the product. but also, when they came out, they took artists where they usually didn't go and it would still be "hit" but now you they all sound the same. and soundboy, your right, groupie women dont know about chord progressions, but they know when things start sounding the same and getting redundent, and that is what is happening wit A LOT of producers these days, but simplicity is key, they want something easy to dance to and sing along.

and n.e.r.d. sold a little over 500,000 copies, but it is a good album none the less.

Tim D

Bitchn' Bout IRS
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Hell no, Timbaland switched the shit and did country rap beats lol

nobodyfamous

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
man, some people were talking some dope beats, a dope beat is timbalands beat he did for bubba sparxxx on that song NOWHERE, its shows he is still dope, it really sounds kinda like cry me a river 2, but ill none the less

Manji

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
To me, RZA was my idol, then he slipped but came back w/ some ill shit. Now for the time being Alchemist is my nigga. Also this DJ krush nigga. This nigga's crazy! I like the Molemen. I hate traxters though.

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
MANJI>>>DITTO son ... I was the biggest RZA fan ever... he is startin to come back though..i still like him cause i met him and he's an ill dude but musically he just don't do it for me anymore... well see what this next year brings for the abbot

Knock Out

Rap's Genious
ill o.g.
Here's my 2 cents:

- Eminem and the Neptunes are consistantly making similar beats, because I think they really want to create a sound for themselves. (Neptunes already have.) I don't think they care whether it's simple or not... they just see if you can bounce to it or write some shit to it. I read in another topic, someone saying something about how simple Eminems beats are. I think he KNOWS they're simple as hell, and he knows he's using the same instruments/drum loop, but continues to do so to really identify his sound as HIS OWN. Timberland has his sound, Dre has his sound, and I think Em is trying to steer clear of Dre's sound by developing his own kind of beat. His shit is pretty basic, but remember, he just got into serious music making, (studios, MPCs, etc,) about 5 years ago. He probably didn't even think of learning to make beats for himself until about 4 years after he had started being on TV and stuff. (I base that statement on the fact that you never really heard a beat from him until the Nas cd came out, no longer than 2 years ago.)

DjDelay

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I'm getting really bored of the neptunes beats nowadays, they all just sound the same. True that Dre and Timberland all have "their sound", but atleast these guys bring us variety when they bring out albums, with the neptunes its always just triton style synthesized 8 bar loops.

Oh yeah, and Pharell singing like he's Stevie Wonder or something lol

E

Equality 7-2521

i reckon the neptunes are wack.

my fav producers have always been Dj Shadow and Rjd2. Primo was up there but doesnt compare to Shadow and Rj.

i wish I was my favourite producer. thats ages away though.

SupaStar

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Well, its pretty much hard to say - if my fav producer seems to be falling off- as always timbo's been the joint for me. He's like my daily inspiriation, i collect all his tracks or all the tracks i know hes produced and i pretty much know as well as the beatmakers here on this site, that a hit doesn't drop everyday, a producer can make a great sounding beat everyday - and doing so that banga will come through. I think pretty much timbo as well as the Neptunes and others know what will make it to the mainstream - the artiste voice - if the artiste has hot vocals and great skills at rapping (no sense crowding the beat with melodies when people just wanna hear the artiste right) - i think we all owe these producers our respect for what they do - whether its dropping one great hit or jus giving us sommin to rock to. :headbang2

soundboy2

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
If I tweak or sample and find a sweet sound I 'll make as many beats as I can using that sound, I guess thats what they do. So if I sold one of those beat and somebody wanted another beat using that same sound, Its going right out the door with a ribbon on it.

Its really not the producer its the labels and A&R's that want the simailiar beat. I re-did that La La La(excuse me Miss remix but with a lil guitar sound and sold it for 50 bucks, the next day. The beats that I think I'm doing all this creative stuff with collect dust, but I enjoy listening to them in my privacy.
R.kelly stuff is getting a lil redondant, but he freaked that lastest Isley Brothers

all folks want is (kick, ride, snares)

berserk

Monster Music
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Timbaland was my fave... He's still doin it... But i prefer Alchemist/Just Blaze at the moment...

members online