It's 2019 - who's still using MIDI?

Mr thai

Beatmaker
Battle Points: 15
I've been using my uncles Roland d-5 synthesizer (which was released in the early 90's) with my MPC Live. It works pretty well considering the age but I will be getting a usb controller for portability and also less wires needed, plus I'm sure my uncle wants his synthesizer back at some point too.

Heavy heavy midi user. At the moment using a Roland MC-303 controlling a JV1080. What are you into these days @Fade?
im not into shit like Roland MC-303 at all, im more into midi because it represents an instrument.

I've been using my uncles Roland d-5 synthesizer (which was released in the early 90's) with my MPC Live. It works pretty well considering the age but I will be getting a usb controller for portability and also less wires needed, plus I'm sure my uncle wants his synthesizer back at some point too.

i use my moms old Casio-100 that we found in basement, some keys don't work but it's okay, at least i can learn playing the instrument. i don't think there could be any ways for connecting this to Daw.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Heavy heavy midi user. At the moment using a Roland MC-303 controlling a JV1080. What are you into these days @Fade?
Right now I've got my MPC hooked up via MIDI to my interface so I can track out, plus sometimes I also connect my keyboard as well. I actually want to experiment with having my keyboard hooked into the MPC and see what kind of mess I can get myself into!

Giam

Right now I've got my MPC hooked up via MIDI to my interface so I can track out, plus sometimes I also connect my keyboard as well. I actually want to experiment with having my keyboard hooked into the MPC and see what kind of mess I can get myself into!
lol I hear ya. The MPCs are great Midi Sequencers. There are tons of great deals in Craigslist and the like about old Midi Modules, E-Mu, Roland, etc, for virtually nothing. And you get TONS of cool and old school sounds. I'm always on the lookout for those. Hook em up to the MPC and instant dopeness!

Giam

just started thinking about midi turntable controllers... any input? also, asking for a friend; does anyone know if you can record midi data and so replace the sound being scratched after the performance?

Yeh as far as I remember Traktor had that or was a plugin for Max for Live, where you could edit the fader, don't remember if you could edit the direction of the vinyl (the digital file) .
Other use peeps be giving a Midi Turntable is controlling visuals. There is where it gets really crazy. Look up Visual Softwares like Resolume and Vdmx. That's where I saw these crews ripping it off like there was no tomorrow, and learned how it was done.
There's a Vestax turntable that has midi outs, maybe even midi ins. Hope this helps.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
just started thinking about midi turntable controllers... any input? also, asking for a friend; does anyone know if you can record midi data and so replace the sound being scratched after the performance?
I haven't messed with that stuff but what @Giam said is good. I've seen videos of that stuff, it's crazy what can be done!

Giam

I haven't messed with that stuff but what @Giam said is good. I've seen videos of that stuff, it's crazy what can be done!

Totally! You can map fader position and turntable speed and direction to stuff like color change, rotation, zoom, clip change, etc in those VJ Software's. Even if you put some work in it and install some plugins yourself and configure em you can do that with some of the free VJ Sofware's or free versions If I remember right.

Bino5150

~Mo Thugs~
I have my MPC 1000 MIDI'd to my Roland XP-60. And if I so choose to use a DAW like FL Studio or Reason from time to time, my MIDI chain goes through my equipment to my interface so I can use both the MPC and the Roland Keyboard as MIDI controllers. Also, I can sync to Audition when I track out my beats.

I have my MPC 1000 MIDI'd to my Roland XP-60. And if I so choose to use a DAW like FL Studio or Reason from time to time, my MIDI chain goes through my equipment to my interface so I can use both the MPC and the Roland Keyboard as MIDI controllers. Also, I can sync to Audition when I track out my beats.
That's how it's done... you're good. I just picked up a midi fighter.. it's dope.