J.R. Rotem's Studio Setup

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
considering dude has placed 90 records in 2 years thought we all might benefit from knowing what he uses in the studio. according to his website:

Keyboards:
Korg Oasys 88
yamaha motif ES7
Korg MS 2000B
Roland Juno 106
Roland Juno 6
Akai MPC 2000XL

Modules:
Roland Fantom XR
Roland XV5080
Emu Mo Phatt
Emu Proteus 2000

Soft Synths:
Native Instruments B4
Native Instruments Pro 53
Native Instruments Elektric Piano
Synthogy Ivory 1.5 (from what I hear this thing is a beast)
Arturia yamaha CV80
G Media Mtron
Spectrasonics Stylus RMX
Spectrasonics Trilogy

Computers/DAWs:
Custom PC w/ Sonar 5 Producer Edition
Mac G5 with Pro Tools HD3 version 6.9.1

as always its the person in charge of the gear that matters, but this stuff might be a good starting point for people going shopping soon.

bhunt

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
his gear list is very impressive, but you hit on a key point the man behind it. He is a trained pianist, I don't know it what style, but before any of us buy gear we might wanna put some money into some training, then you would have a use for all that gear.lol

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Does anyone know why he might have the Motif keyboard and the fantom module? Maybe its just the order he bought his stuff in, but aside from the actual sounds they have, does the motif have an edge in sequencing/effects/keys, whatever?

PushPlay

ill o.g.
it's probably the order he got it in. probably wanted the motif, then wanted the fantom, but just the sounds. nothing seems too flashy there, though. it's all standard kinda stuff.

Plus the fact that he is a classically trained musician.

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
Does anyone know why he might have the Motif keyboard and the fantom module? Maybe its just the order he bought his stuff in, but aside from the actual sounds they have, does the motif have an edge in sequencing/effects/keys, whatever?

"why"?

well, EVERY keyboard is different; me personally, i have had several and all have various strngths and weaknesses; the flute on a motif, for example, outclass all that i have used otherwise. i preffer rolands pianos, just as the motif clavinet is the best to my ears. the proteus line has the best bass sounds.

thjus, the "all in one" boxes may cover ground, but each baord does something better then the others"

plus it makes for a giant list of presets
i would say most beatmakers arent ig time sound designers, and having a few thousand professionally programmed presets lying around is a huge plus

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90

No, i have the motif rack and the fantom rack, sounds filters and effects are totoally differnt on each. Each has its strenghts and weaknesses and they compliment each other quite well

class..

members online