Interviews Jake One

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Whether you know it or not, you've probably at one time in your life bumped a Jake One beat. I don't care if you are into mainstream artists like 50 Cent and E40, or if you are rockin MF Doom in your iPod, this guy is EVERYWHERE! We got a chance to catch up with the self proclaimed "Great Beat Writer," and talk about production, digging, and his newest release White Van Music.

jakeone1.jpg

What's good man? First off I would like to thank you for taking the time out from your busy schedule to sit down with us.

No problem.

I know it's a little cliche to start interviews like this but fuck it, lets start from the beginning. Take yourself back right now.... How did you first get into making beats and who were some of your early inspirations?

I got into making beats when I first realized that a lot of my favorite beats were based off of old records. That made me get into digging and in turn started my interest in making beats. My main influences when I started were Vitamin D, DJ Premier, Pete Rock, DJ Quik and Dr. Dre.

I think it's safe to say that almost every unknown producer has dreams of one day making it to your level, as an artist on the come up, what steps did you take to separate yourself from all these "other guys" out there doing what you do?

I think more than anything I've been consistent at improving. At a certain point everybody can make a good beat or two but when you get to the stage of having your sound and being consistently good it all comes together.

A lot of cats here on the site debate over Hardware vs. Software for their production, what equipment are you currently using, and do you have a preference?

I'm definitely a hardware dude first and foremost. The ASR 10 is the main brain of my operation. Pretty much everything I've done has been on it the past ten years. I use SSL EQ's and a Rane mixer. I've been working on beats on Logic while I'm on the road to kind of start ideas at this point. I can't get it to do exactly what's in my head at this point but that will come with time. Battery is the program I'm chopping samples on. It's pretty dope.

Put us in your fitted for a minute, and take us step by step through your creative process when approaching a beat, what do you usually go for first?

A lot of times I listen to records while I'm playing X Box and wait for something to catch my ear. Sometimes I'll have a riff in my head and beat box it into my phone and have someone like G Koop help me bring that to life.

Now I hear that you are a bonafide vinyl junky, does this contribute to the Jake One sound?

The foundation of my sound is definitely in the records. Even when I don't actually sample anything on a beat, the inspiration is always coming from my crates. A lot of young producers want to know where my drums come from and it's all thru records. I learned that from listening to Primo and Pete Rock. That's how they did it and I loved their drum game and wanted to have that same texture in my beats.

As we all know, the game has changed a lot since the 90's. What advice would you give to all the up and comers reading this, who are trying to break into the industry today?

At this point rap music is not going to make you rich. Do some music that you genuinely enjoy or don't do it. If you are good and spread your music around somebody will let you know.

jakeone2.jpg

Okay, let's talk a little about your new album "White Van Music," some of the beats on this album are just BANANAS! Can you give us some of your personal favorites from the album, and for all of our resident diggers out there who are dying to know, can you reveal some of the samples you used?

That info is classified! I can tell you that four or five of the songs don't have any samples at all.

What were some of your personal goals taking on such a large project like this, would you do anything different if you could go back?

I mainly wanted to make something interesting for me to listen. Tried to stay away from being generic in any way. The only thing I would have changed would be to have done something like this 5 years ago.

Although you got to work with so many different talented rappers on the album, were there any who you wished you could have got on a track that you didn't?

Scarface, Beanie Sigel, Willie D and Tim Dog.

Now that the dust has settled and you got "White Van Music" under your belt, what does the future have in store for "The Great Beat Writer?"

Lots more songs on albums from famous and not so famous rappers. A instrumental album with Vitamin D called "Slaps Like Ike". Another project next year that I produce in its entirety with a rapper from my album.

Well man, we appreciate you taking the time out and dropping some knowledge for our members... are there any last things you'd like to add?

If you dig the album buy that shit! Town Bizness Maine.

members online