jay dee aka J-dilla, passed away(RIP)

• beat this! voting starts in...

BAUSMAN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
RIP... i was never a huge fan but imma cop his cd for sure hopefully if enuff ppl do it can help out his fam.

ed_sizzahanz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
There was a front page article in the newspaper today. I haven't had the chance to read it though. I remember back in the day, he was one of the first cats in Detroit to cop and ASR 10. Truly sad.

anonymous_103

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
damn. i just read it. im crushed. he wasnt just an artist to me. to me, he defined hip hop. he was a great in my book. Rest in peace.

FTdub

SP1200 manhandler
ill o.g.
damn, I knew he was sick and doin shows from a chair, but this was still unexpected. Buy donuts.

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
wow, i dont even know what to say. dilla, along with hi tek, was one of the cats that inspired me from the early going.... my intro to dilla came in the form of commons like water for chocolate and slum villages fantastic volume 2.... then i found out about his work for pharcyde and tribe. i remember advocating him as an all time great here back when i first hit the boards and arguing with some cats about it heatedly, lol.

its hard to accept this, for real. i dont know that most of the world realizes how much great work this man did. im fucked up off this for real.

Precog

I Phantom
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 10
Common's 'Like Water for Chocolate' album influenced me heavily by its self. That is one of the best albums that I have ever heard in my life!!
May his music live on and continue to influence people, the man is a legend.......
R.I.P

O-H-TEN

aka Tha' NVZABLE DRAGON
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
Damn! What the f#%k?!! This is the third R.I.P. that I've posted today! Cat's is just fallin' off the planet! Man this gettin' a bit depressing..... R.I.P. Dilla.
ONE

Obsidian Blue

Igneous
ill o.g.
This is I have posted on Obsidianblue.com

It's been 2 days since I received word that James Yancey aka Jay Dee passed away on February 10th, and I still can't gather into words what I felt when I first read the text message. Distraught? Saddened? Crushed? Devastated? Maybe, but I don't really think so. It's more of a mixture of emotions that I couldn't really put into words until now.

It's truly a shame that a man who is only 4 years older than myself passes away so early. As great and influential as he is to music and will continue to be for many years to come, it's a shame that it will take his death for the rest of the world to realize that fact. But you know, most importantly, many of you mourning his death will not take heed and learn something from his passing. So many hungry producers will still create beats according to Dilla's example, ingredients that include overwork, poor diet, and Lord knows whatever else he was doing that contributed to his liver rupturing. Life is so much more than music, your job, money, sex, popularity, clothes, and so forth. These words come from not only my respect for Jay Dee, but my love for all mankind.

Now, I think that covers about 25% of what I felt when I first read the news. I had a lot of time to think, seeing how I was attending a funeral at the time. Go figure. At the funeral, the minister stressed the importance that we should not grieve. This should be a celebration of life, a time where it is recognized that this man's soul does not have to endure the drudgery of this world anymore.

And then I though to myself, oh the sacrilege of tributes that's soon to come to honor J Dilla. Trust me, I understand how you guys feel, but please be careful. Just look at what Puffy's doing to honor Biggie's memory and do the opposite of that. Personally, I don't want to do one. One tribute, a series of tributes, this message, can't POSSIBLY encompass what his mere influence has meant to me. If anything, my entire catalog would be my tribute. From my first loop I ever made in Goldwave to the last song I'll ever finish, if there wasn't a Jay Dee, there wouldn't be this sound that is Obsidian Blue. Point blank.

The closest I’ve gotten to him was me being added to his myspace friend list, so my heart really goes out to those who REALLY knew him, knew his heart. Peace to family, friends, closest associates, and all others that truly know the caliber of man that we all will be missing from this world.

LEJENDERY

Da Beast on da Beatz
ill o.g.
L. Soul said:
Is it just me or are black stars starting to drop?

R.I.P.

Naw, it's not u... it seems like over the last couple of years, we've lost a whole lot of black stars... mostly singers... I don't knw what the deal is, but it's a tragedy - because they all die young... R.I.P. J-Dilla!!!!

FuzE

i make beatz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 99
Damn I'm late to this. I havent been up on any media outlets for a couple days. R.I.P to Jay Dee. Dude made his mark more than most ppl realise.