sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
LOL yea we are very familiar with the Jim Crow Laws here.. wasn't aware of the clothing line lol that's a bit much

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
I'm considering buying one of those shirts....as a reminder of how far we've come as minorities in this country....

We have accepted the fact that we are still looked at as inferior (not by all but by enough to be a big deal)...so much that people make funny clothing about it.

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
Its on some direct, indirect, reverse psychology shit to get us to support it... Two Black Guys. probably owned by Niel and ted lmao.

7thangel

7th Angel of Armageddon
ill o.g.
naw, i used to know these guys back when they first started (actually a little after they opened their store on bathurst, t.o.), these brothers (are conscious, they were/are well known in the revolutionary circles back when some of us were thinkin' we could change our community and build somethin' and not be reactionary, each one teach one and all that. as well as partyin' chasin' the puni, and gettin lifted. the clothes carry a message, sometimes a wake the fuck up in your face, message.

check mary j. blige's 1st video, you'll see they're clothes. pure hip hop artists used to pass through when doing shows up in t.o. i.e. brand nubians, redman and the twins, keith murray, heiro, del, ice cube (they picked him up from one of those outside shows where they sometimes have hip hop acts, we went to some club full of white chicks and brothers, this was during his nation phase, lol, pussy is a powerful thing), biggie, etc.

2 black guys used to be adrian and rob the dread along with bald head rob, r.i.p (coolest mofo, legendary player)
they opened a store in nyc which dread took care of, but i don't know how long it lasted. adrian designed the canadian olympic suits via roots a couple of olympics ago which got rave reviews and i think led to some work for the u.s olympic team(s). didn't know they were still kickin' around

skidflow

Boom Bap is precious art
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 214
Can you imagine what your black folks over the age of 50 would say if they seen that shit on your back...I think they would be highly confused and disappointed because Jim Crowe laws was a mutha. Seperate water fountains, riding in the back of the bus, sitting at the top of the theatre, going to the back door of a restaurant to get served, KKK, etc...naw I can't support no shit like that...SORRY!

Trying to turn a negative into a positive sometimes makes one looks stupid sometimes...not all the time but sometimes.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
Can you imagine what your black folks over the age of 50 would say if they seen that shit on your back...I think they would be highly confused and disappointed because Jim Crowe laws was a mutha. Seperate water fountains, riding in the back of the bus, sitting at the top of the theatre, going to the back door of a restaurant to get served, KKK, etc...naw I can't support no shit like that...SORRY!

Trying to turn a negative into a positive sometimes makes one looks stupid sometimes...not all the time but sometimes.

Can you imagine if those same people saw ME rockin that ???

I cant support that either.

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
The intent and the "cause" may be in the right place in terms of the owners (haven't met them I don't know) but I couldn't see this line really taking off in the US, especially in the South, where Jim Crow defined people's lives in a negative sense, and certain stigmas from that era still remain to this day.

I think Al Sharpton (and many older civil rights leaders) would have a field day attacking this line of clothing. Again, the designers may be great guys but Jim Crow is too painful of a memory for many people to "celebrate" with a line of clothing

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Here too....

Sad, really...

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
I saw on the net that even now, in the south, they still have black schools and white schools.

Is that also true?

Are they equal in value?

What other signs of the Jim Crow laws are still in the States? I mean in a legal/semi legal sense... not straight racism... I mean, I know about that part.

I made a trip to Florida by car with my fam and at one point, we made a stop at a restaurant in South Carolina... and we got out as fast as we got in... people were staring and whispering and shit, some with discust... real unpleasant... All I could think of is "Hey, we're the only blacks in the place, let's get the f*** out!" And I was like 11 or something.

...but I guess that's probably nothing

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
I saw on the net that even now, in the south, they still have black schools and white schools.

Is that also true?

Are they equal in value?

What other signs of the Jim Crow laws are still in the States? I mean in a legal/semi legal sense... not straight racism... I mean, I know about that part.

I made a trip to Florida by car with my fam and at one point, we made a stop at a restaurant in South Carolina... and we got out as fast as we got in... people were staring and whispering and shit, some with discust... real unpleasant... All I could think of is "Hey, we're the only blacks in the place, let's get the f*** out!" And I was like 11 or something.

...but I guess that's probably nothing

Nothing? It's never just nothing...It's actually sad.

But those people were brought up to dislike people of other "colors" So you can't blame em entirely....

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
I mean... there's probably worse thing happening than not being wanted in a restaurant.