John ‘They should of left the damn dog alone’ Wick

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I can see this playing in a scene where he's killing a lot of bad guys in a fun way, like he throws one guy into another and the guy getting thrown has his gun go off and it shoots another guy right in the head, then travels into a 4th guy's heart and his heart just EXPLODES and the bullet goes out the back with a big splooge of blood that splatters all over another guy's face and he pukes then another guy slips on it and breaks his neck.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
john wick club GIF by Coolidge Corner Theatre

I dont think the choice of sounds matches the vibe of the John Wick samples. The sounds all sound happy, its like playing "The Sun Has Got Its Hat On" while decorating the room with the brains of people trying to kill you. While this can be quite a disturbing scenario, I dont think it works here IMO. I would tone back some of the reverb on the snare, it sort of disconnects it from the kick, which defeats the purpose of gluing your drums together into a cohesive "kit". One piece of advice Ive read over all these years over and over again.. "Dial in the reverb so you can hear it, then dial it back a bit" Less is more and subtlety is the name of the game. That said, there is nothing wrong with creative use of reverb, there are no rules, just guidelines. There are however lots and lots of opinions, and being like arseholes, they usually stink, and heres mine.

@2GooD Productions, yeah I get ya if I was going for a straight up killer vibe but I chose to be different and come at it from a different angle.

I like different, chances are if there was a John wick themed comp, many would go that route.

I think I mentioned it before with the contrast of Clockwork Orange and ‘singing in the rain’.

Yeah on the snare I wouldn’t usually use much reverb but I heard almost gunshot sounds as others mentioned and left it there.

Many thanks for the feedback, this one’s not for you but I enjoy not following the same old same old expectations.

"The Sun Has Got Its Hat On" while decorating the room with the brains of people trying to kill you.

That’s exactly the kind of scenario I went for :LOL: