Just A Few Questions

massikrbeats

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
I don't consider myself a novice, unfortunately there are simple things that I don't know and hope to find out now:

1) What does cross fading a loop actually do to the sample?

2) How does the “fit” option on a sample work?

3) What are soundfonts used for?

4) How do you sample the drums from vinyl/misc. songs?

Thanks a lot. While reading through softwrae manuals, Scratch, and many other tips on FL, I wrote down every question I had about something I didn't know about. I leave the same advice for any up and coming producers: If there is something that you do not know about anything (producing in this case) write down the questions, gather them up so the next time you come to this ill forum, you can ask people who have alreday proven to be a big help to me!!

HOlla!

ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
Answers

worldcityceo said:
1) What does crossfading a loop actually do to the sample?

2) How does the “fit” option on a sample work?

3) What are soundfonts used for?

4) How do you sample the drums from vinyl/misc. songs?

(1) 'Crossfade Loop' plays samples back in the classic sampler way i.e. higher notes get shorter, lower notes longer. this technique allows you to loop the sample using a crossfade (hence the name). The idea is to make it easy to produce smoothly looping pad sounds from pretty much any sample.

(2) plesae explain the question \ provide some more details...

(3) What is a SoundFont? SoundFonts, carrying the extension sf2, are files that house a collection of sounds (wav files) that are grouped together to form instruments. These are then loaded into your sound card, or software that reads and plays sf2 format, which can then be triggered by midi controllers (keyboards etc.). You can then loop these wav files, allocate layers, split points, key ranges, apply filters and lfos, add effects and so on, to form a SoundFont bank. You can then save this bank and use it in your computer’s sound card or any software that reads and plays sf2 format.
Theoretically, you can have up to 127 sound banks and 1 drum mapped bank. However, this is if you want to load the banks onto your sound card. You can, actually, have any combination of banks and can be all drum banks or sound banks or both.
You can create SoundFonts by using any SoundFont editor, like Vienna SoundFont Studio. SoundFonts are a great way of creating large fonts of instruments. The fact that you are only limited by the ram in your computer makes this a very appealing format.
With hardware samplers, you are restricted by how much memory they have, and with most samplers, memory can max out at 128 megabytes. SoundFonts are only restricted by the ram your computer has, so memory becomes less important. The other advantage of using this format is that there are many software applications that support this format, so it makes life a lot easier in that you do not have to keep converting to different sampler formats, just to be able to use a sound.

(4) quite general question... there are many answers; each to his own...
basically, you choose the partition you want to sample, isolate it and then work on it (noise reduction, equalizer, compressor etcetera). it all depends on the software (and of course the hardware) you're using.

Good Luck,
Wings

SpinDoctor

The Lovable Rogue
ill o.g.
Wings basically answered everything apart from the second one, if you are talking about the fit option in fl studio, it makes the sample fit a certain amount of steps, eg if u put it to 4 it will last 4 steps, simple really.

Peace

members online