Just Blaze or D-Dot - whose jacking who?

bronto

ill o.g.
What a coincidence.......Just Blaze is one of my favorite producers but this is the second time something like this is happening.......anyone remember when he produced PSA with that whole Black Moon controversy? They said he stole it and Blaze actually gave his take on it......I think he ended up paying the dudes that originally did the beat.

This time, production credits say that the Puff version was produced by D-Dot. Hmmm.......those two beats are way too close to me. We all know that D-Dot is a known jacker courtesy of a young Kanye West paying dues and there is a YouTube video of Just making the beat, though Just is on Puff's album and could have heard D-Dot's beat.

Maybe its not jacking, just a very similar use of a sample = fair game.

Hmmmm. What do you you guys think? Maybe someone can clarify.

To me, JB is still fire either way.

afriquedeluxe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 221
eh? same sample, doesnt really mean he jacked the beat. personally i love both tracks and couldnt care anyless.

ps. i think just blaze's version comes out on top still.

PHV

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Just Blaze is definately top.

Knowing Puffy he got jealous and had someone rip it. I could be wrong. In any case, Jay Z's track is hot.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
From the way I have heard that it is a small world in NYC and the industry period...I know someone for a fact that someone mentioned above jacked (will not name a name on here) and it became platinum...places like bassline studios and some other frequented places will sometimes either be prime leak or open season to maybe hear something worth finding the sample or jacking because heavyweights cross paths and they have good ears....

Who knows if someone is actually jacking but its hard to resist trying to redo a sample that is dope and whether or not you are the first to get a placement with it is what the common denominator in who usually gets the credit for originating the sample....

Its sort of like online, if you are online and you are posting up some dope sample that is easy to identify and someone gets their hands on it and turns it into a hit there is generally not much you can do about it....any of my fellow producers that get work on a regular will never tell me where a sample came from or if they have the concept they never leak it for the simple fact of they could aid another producer on a project and thus knock them out of the hit....

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
jay's wordplay is better (obviously)... haha.. this might open the door to other rappers rhymin over it... i'd love to hear Jada, Papoose, Luda, and even the Game on that shit. that would be interesting... it would be like when all those "Roxanne" records came out back in the early 80s. its a reach, but i'd love to see that.

hollaatroy

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
That's the same beat. It's structured almost identically. It's way more than just a sample. But like Swivel said, Puff dropped his first, so he gets the nod. I hope Jay-Z didn't have us waiting 2 years just to come out with somebody else's beats.

O

open mind

hollaatroy said:
I hope Jay-Z didn't have us waiting 2 years just to come out with somebody else's beats.
LMFAO.its beyonce's fault she just wants to fly around the world and rides jiggas **** jigga cant focus on his work u know.this lucky b*****d

ay beyonce u wanna take a ride? so jigga can do his album u know.hehe!

Qwerty

Sshsh-Straight fiya!
ill o.g.
And how about that Diddy Beat in the commercial that sound EXACTLY like Grammy Family by Kanye but with a higher pitch?

bronto

ill o.g.
I got this from an interview Puff did on another site:

Interviewer: "We Gon' Make It," it has the same "Shaft in Africa" sample as Jay's "Show Me What You Got" Which version do you like better?

Puff: I like it both ways. I'm not in any competition with Jay. It's a strange coincidence,
but that's the way God wanted it. It feels good to be on the same wavelength
as an artist as great as Jay-Z. We used a lot of the similar producers
on this album because they're our friends and people we've worked with.
A lot of times great minds think alike. Now DJ's are cutting one record
right after the other. It's been a good thing.

I guess there you have it. I didn't think about it but Puff will benefit from this cause the DJs will spin both records together in some cases......Jay's/Just Blaze version is so much tighter to me so I think Puff would only stand to gain with the records sounding so familiar.

FuzE

i make beatz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 99
Its a sample. IMO you cant really jack nobody for using the same sample, unless the drums and arrangement of the sample, bassline, etc. is the same. Besides If you wanna call it jacking then they both jacked Public Enemy "Show em what you got" and Wrecks N Effexx "Rump Shaker",,same sample. Shit dont the Flavor Flav part on the Jay-Z joint come from the old Public Enemy song anyway? I like the Diddy joint a lil bit more, trust me not for the lyricism or anything. Just Blaze version is killa but, I like the change ups in the D Dot version.

J

JMSoundzLTD

ShortFuze said:
Its a sample. IMO you cant really jack nobody for using the same sample, unless the drums and arrangement of the sample, bassline, etc. is the same. Besides If you wanna call it jacking then they both jacked Public Enemy "Show em what you got" and Wrecks N Effexx "Rump Shaker",,same sample. Shit dont the Flavor Flav part on the Jay-Z joint come from the old Public Enemy song anyway? I like the Diddy joint a lil bit more, trust me not for the lyricism or anything. Just Blaze version is killa but, I like the change ups in the D Dot version.

cosigns, i agree jacking beats would have to consist of basically using the same sample in the same arrangment, with the same drum pattern, etc. But, how many others have used that same exact sample and flipped it entirely diffrent. Or better yet, how many others dont we know about.. take Grafiks Sample Flip for example, if using the same sample ina diffrent way/arrangment is considered biting, then wouldn't we all be biting grafik or eachother when we flipped the same sample that was posted?

members online