Just Got Reason...

kronik12

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
And I have no i idea how to EQ separate tracks, like i do in fl. can someone help me with that please?

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
Nice article Excellence. I agree, Marl certainly doesn't get enough props for his production skills.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I always said that too, he had so many hits and was such a big influence but it seemed like not many people mentioned him. He's got some of the best songs ever under his belt!

Big Tone

You done fucked up
ill o.g.
i still rock all these joints. biz, kane, kool g rap. they are all pioneers

MGTheFuture

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Its in the manual - in big bold letters.

Hint: Insert The FX you want, then press TAB

ill o.g.
The 14:2 mixer in reason has EQ's on every track. They just have to be turn on to work, or you can highlight your device (Mixer, drum machine, dr. rex, etc) right click on the device and create an EQ. Its called the PEQ two band parametric eq. You can also create the BV512 vocoder and the R7000 advanced reverb, they also contain EQ's. Once created these devices route themselves to the mixer. Also think about creating separate mixer for your sounds. Like one mixer for the drums (all on separate channels) another mixer for the sound modules (NNxt, NN19, Malstrom, Subtractor). Reason has endless ways to route your sound. I have figure out several different ways to route my tracks. Even using the splitter to create Artificial surround sound. Ive created a multiband compressor (compress almost every audible frequency known in the mix, 31hz to 16khz). Possibilties are endless. check out the site: www.propellarhead.se, good luck

kronik12

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
ok, say i have a parameric EQ in channel 1 on the redrum (snare) and i also want to add a reverb, but i cant because the holes are taken, what do i do then? and how do i connect a compressor to the mixer?

also, does anyone know where i can get a tutorial for reason?

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Kronik, if its worth waiting till i get off work, i can create a tutorial with screen shots in photoshop for you on how to do everything you asked?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ill also upload some Pdf's and Word Files that i have collected from extensive googling over time about tips and tricks.

ill o.g.
Create 2 separate mixerz.....

kronik12 said:
ok, say i have a parameric EQ in channel 1 on the redrum (snare) and i also want to add a reverb, but i cant because the holes are taken, what do i do then? and how do i connect a compressor to the mixer?

you need to click on the mixer to highlight it, right click and go to create. then from there just create a compressor. The best way around your problem would be to create 2 separate mixers. One for drumz, one for modules. Just create all your effect onto the mixers. Then separate all your drum sounds on one mixer. Flip the rack around, connect channel 1-10 from the Redrum to the mixers 1-10. Now with all your sound separate and the effects connected to the mixer, you can control all aspects with the send knobs. If you have compressor and reverb on the mixer as effects, you can send your drum sounds to them. now all you need to do is create a Spider audio merger & splitter, send both MAIN OUTS from your 2 MIXERS to the SPIDER Merger. then run that to the soundcard modules located at the very top of the rack.

kronik12

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
DueceMade Ent. said:
Kronik, if its worth waiting till i get off work, i can create a tutorial with screen shots in photoshop for you on how to do everything you asked?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ill also upload some Pdf's and Word Files that i have collected from extensive googling over time about tips and tricks.

Wow, I would really love that, thanks

ill o.g.

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
OK well first things first.

Obviously you should keep brushing up on all the information in the manual, but i wont go there since people already dropped word on that.

So......

1. EQing any instrument/sound (including drums channels.):

There are (2) "main" ways to go about EQing your sounds.

(1) The obvious: The EQ on the mixer, which in my opinion could have easily been improved in the 3rd version of this app, but none the less....

a. You have a Bass and Treble attentuator/limiting knob for each channel on the mixer.
It can never hurt to simply fuck with this guy first before having to apply send effects, but there really is no set order. Do what feels right for the sound. To activate the EQ on the mixer always make sure that the little pink EQ button is lit indicating you have it ON....( Good thing is, you can always turn it off it if you dont like the sound. )

b. Sometimes you dont need alot of adjusting, so these will assist you just fine, tho while at other times - you may want to really define a certain frequency so it just wont cut it. Always give it a shot tho.....​

*Tip: I find that i only tend to utilize the mixer EQ for hats and maybe a kick drum on occasion...but everything varies according to the kit.

(2) This is where you will dig in a little more and find out why reasons mixer is the shit when it comes to real specific needs in the EQ/FX world....This is really nothin complicated, it just takes some getting used to while first learning the ins and outs of the app.

a. This is where i will start the tutorial primarely, tho I will show some quick images of opperating the mixer EQ.

b. (Image 1): Your template should already contain a mixer, and a redrum.....If it doesnt, make one.

c. (Image 2): Now choose a Parametric EQ from the create list but hold SHIFT while clicking it in the list and this will make the prgm resist from autorouting it.

* This is the time where you should probably grab any other send effects that you think youl need for your beat following the same procedure of holding down shift while selecting them.

d. (Image 3): Now press TAB and begin by routing your OUTPUT from the EQ to the Mixers [1st AUX RETURN]....If this is confusing remember to look at the mixer itself, it does have all the connections labeled. You can also leave the mouse over a jack and it will tell you what it is.

K next, go ahead and route the EQ's INPUT'S to the Mixers AUX SEND OUT's.

Now you have attached a send effect to the mixer and are ready to use whatever degree of the effect that you prefer.

e.
(Image 4): Next, you should start auditioning a loop of sounds from an existing instrument that youve already written and created. If you havent started a song already to try this on, go ahead and load a older tune up and follow the existing steps that weve covered already so that you can experiment with the EQ on the keys, or samples, or whatever thats in yer song already....

While its playing: Go to the mixer and look for the channel that the sound you want to effect is on. After identifying it, look up to where the aux prefaders are (shown in image). Now all you have to do is adjust the prefader to whatever degree/amount of that effect that u desire. Pretty dope huh?...

Once you got the effect on and altering the original sounds of the device that you chose, go back to the EQ and tinker with the frequencies to find what needs to be cut or attentuated.

Follow this same procedure for any other FX connected to the mixer.

f.
(Image 5): I should also mention that you have the option of using the VOCODERS EQ as well in exactly the same way you hooked up the Parametric....

*On a personal note: I think that even with the highest setting for complete clarity when EQing in the VOCODER, it still colors the sounds wierd and not to my liking, so as a personal hint of advice - try using the Parametric more often, but thats my tastes.​

Ill upload the images shortly. Hold tight.

STEEZ

*Note: Try not to rely on "Autorouting". Instead learn how to manually route it yourself, and try to get into the habbit of doing it everytime. This will also help you gain a better understanding of where your audio signal is coming from, what its doing, and Why??.....

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Quick Pic of the Mixer EQ in relation to the crap i started talking about....Sorry if this is getting kinda elementary?....Im trying to assume that you need ALL the information about it, so im giving you the whole 9.

Attachments

• Mixer EQ.jpg
    Mixer EQ.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 156

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Image (1) - Template. (You can ignore the second mixer, well get to that later, for now just focus on having a similar template set up with at least one module running such as a NN-XT or something that generates sounds.

Attachments

• Template.jpg
    Template.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 146

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Dam, ill finish this up tomarrow, ...i need to go to sleep.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yo, My fiance just graduated so im gonna have to finish this up tomarrow for you aiight....Sorry bout the delay. (I kno i barely scratched the surface so far.)