Just Starting Out, After A Shit Year..

J

Juan.Smilez_

I'm gonna cut a long story short, because i'm not one for sympathy and all that bullshit.

My brother died, leaving behind a roomfull of equiptment.. And i wanna continue where he left off, i don't want to sell what he worked hard to accumilate.

Got some black keyboard things rigged up to a laptop, an akai mpc 4000, some big digi design mixing desk thing, a triton something and aload of things in a rack. Theres lots more here but to be honest i don't know what the fuck they are.

I just want to know where to start, i don't mind just starting simple at first, using whatever. Just want some guidance.

T

The Bastard

I'm gonna cut a long story short, because i'm not one for sympathy and all that bullshit.

My brother died, leaving behind a roomfull of equiptment.. And i wanna continue where he left off, i don't want to sell what he worked hard to accumilate.

Got some black keyboard things rigged up to a laptop, an akai mpc 4000, some big digi design mixing desk thing, a triton something and aload of things in a rack. Theres lots more here but to be honest i don't know what the fuck they are.

I just want to know where to start, i don't mind just starting simple at first, using whatever. Just want some guidance.

im sure he woulda been proud of u yo,and hed be happy knowing ur doin whut ur about to do.id say start wit learnin the mpc since itll proly be the centerpiece of yur music, that laptop looking thing sounds like it is either like a digi audio interface or a control surface . u should look up the model names yur seein on this equipment. theres a lot of info on here about how to do shit , check out the hardware>akai forum we got on here about the mpc,is al lthis shit already hooked up fro mwhen yur bro was usin it or whut?

O-H-TEN

aka Tha' NVZABLE DRAGON
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
First of all; sorry to hear about your loss, and in my opinion I think you are doing the right thing. Second, welcome to tha' ILL!!
Why don't you post a picture of what you have and we can break it down for you a little better. There's alot of knowledge on these boards and I'm sure that collectively one of us has atleast one of whatever it is you have. From what you have already described; it sounds like your brother (R.I.P.) left you some pretty serious equipment. You have everything you need right there. All you have to do now is learn it and let it flow!
ONE

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.

I'm sorry to hear about your loss man. We're definitely glad to help here.

The MPC is whats called a sampling workstation- all the models are good but the 4000 is a beast, it is top of the line. Bascially what you will want to use that for is both sampling (typically you assign individual samples to each of those 16 pads) and putting together your drum tracks, although feel free to use it as a MIDI controller on whatever else you may be using. The MPC is also a good sequencer (a sequencer is where you put all this stuff to use- its where you put your tracks together. It would help if you could find out if there is a sequencer installed on that laptop, which there probably is; if its a Mac look for programs called either Live, Logic, Cubase, or Digital performer, and if its PC, it may have FL Studio, Cubase, SONAR, Digital Perfomer, Or live (there are others these are just the most common)) but these days MP's are being used less for sequencing as more of this stuff goes onto laptops and computers using programs like those.

That gets to the next thing; MIDI. MIDI is what most of what you're working with works around; it is a language that translates what you play on a keyboard or an MPC (if you're using it as a MIDI controller) into sound through a laptop or through a number of other things (a very simplified explanation...check out tweakheadz.com for some great articles that go way more in depth on MIDI). Basically, all of those keyboards, including the triton, use midi heavily, they are MIDI controllers that probably feed into the laptop through that Digidesign Mixing console; what might set the triton apart is that it has really sick sounds of its own and is not JUST a controller- it can act as a controller for other sounds (the most common use of this these days is using things called VST's on your laptop- these are virtual instruments with sounds on the laptop which are controlled-played- using a midi controller), but it also has a built in soundbank. Your other keyboards may either be just midi controllers (just something that controls sounds in the computer or on another host) or they may also have their own sounds, like the triton, in addition to being MIDI controllers. This gets me into the rack...there may be a few different types of things on there but generally if your bro was into rap production those are sound modules; those are small computers which have built in sounds like the triton, and are controlled by MIDI controllers (notice the rack modules don't have keys and all that stuff like a piano workstation- they got sounds, some sequencing capabilities, but the big thing to understand is that these are controlled by other devices like your keyboards or mpc). Just to help you get this part, the triton is sold in stores both as a keyboard and a rack module- the keyboard is what you've got, and the rack module has the same sounds, effects, etc, but obviously it doesnt have the keys and all that attached.

The digidesign mixing desk is a great piece of equipment and most likely means you've got pro tools installed on that laptop. As a simplified explanation that mixing desk will help you mix your tracks; raising and lowering volume, panning, and doing a number of things like that which become important when you get deeper in the game. My advice is unless you need to mess with it for routing things in and out of the computer, learn some of that other equipment before getting into mixing and automation with pro tools, because that is a lot for a beginner to take on; you can mix perfectly well using just your mouse in all sequencers.

As someone else said if you post pics we can break all this stuff down for you in a lot more detail. This is the most important advice i can give you man; start very, very simple. Your studio has a ton of professional equipment from what you're describing- things like digi mixing consoles, racks, etc, those are sophisticated for home producers, and the mpc 4000 is a beast compared to other models. What you should do, in addition to reading what everyone else posts here, is go find an MPC 4000 manual if you can (its worth buying if you need to, ebay should have some), and learn how to use that on its own. and maybe the second most important advice i can give you- get manuals. it took me a year to learn FL studio which is a user friendly program pretty well cause i didnt use a manual and just taught myself- I've learned to use logic 7, which is the least user friendly program around, equally well in about 2 days because i used the manuals. experiment, but definitely use the manuals as your guide, especially with all that equipment.
If you want to push it a little more learn the MPC and whatever sequencer your brother used on his laptop but that is a lot to learn at once. It took me a while to get comfy in fl studio which was the first program i used and i was just using that- nevermind a mpc 4 which is a big thing to learn on its own. anyway post some pics up and we can help you with the rest of this stuff...if theres any terms or whatever i tossed out there that werent clear, feel free to ask me or anyone here, or just hit up google, all of this knowledge is online these days- make sure to use the illmuzik search engine cause a lot of basics are covered on here.

J

Juan.Smilez_

Right i ran round real quick looking at the names of the gear in here, so it can help you cat's out real quick

Digidesign Digi002 System002 and Pro Tools LE
Digidesign 002 Rack
Yamaha 01X
Native Instruments KORE System
Akai Mpc4000
Digidesign D-Command
Korg Triton Extreme
Roland Fantom x6
Yamaha Motif Rack
Clavia Nord g2 Engine Rack
Dave Smith Polyevolver
Access virus ti desktop
Studio electronics omega 2 rack
Korg DTR2000 Rack Tuner

2x technics sl 1210's
1x pioneer djm 3000 rackmount mixer

8x Tannoy precision 8 moniters

1x Sennheiser HD25 Headphones

1x Baby blue bottle kit Condenser mic

1x Macbook pro

Soft:

Cubase Sx
Sampletank Xl
Hypersonic
An Sr-202
EastWest Plugins
Waves Diamond plugins
T-Racks
Reason 3.0
Protools Le

..Resspect to hi-lo and you other cats for giving me a good basic understanding of how things should work, today i officially start fucking with this shit, just wish i knew how to turn it all on LOL

Lazy Eyes

The Beat Konduktah
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 7
Damnz.. u got all the goods anybody in here has wet dreams about..

I wish u the best of luck with al the equipment cus it is the best of the best of the best..

If u got a nice acoustic room u might even top some the studios in the country..

Nice gear, real nice gear..

One Question,

Can u pop up a picture of all your gear??

Peace and the best of luck,

Lazy

J

Juan.Smilez_

Yea i'll dooz that, lemme cop a webcam or sutting real quick.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
OMG you got a gold mine!! You came to the right place bro!
Thats really admirable ! Im glad to hear you are gonna take up the reins!
We can help you here, dont sweat that part, just relax on that point.
Its just gonna take time to actually start bein able to use that gear effectively.

Start learnin that mpc and your triton , unfortunately they dont have the same operating systems so thats gonna be a challenge, you prolly have everything already hooked up tho so thats a good thing.
Cant wait to hear what you do, we're here for ya!

bhunt

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
You already got enough to last you the rest of the time making tracks. I'm sure your brother already had some heat, so I would go through his tracks and see how he was putting stuff togeher. I would start this small though. I would just turn on the mixer and MPC and look at the tracks there. I'm sure he also had a lotta tracks already recoreded into pro tool also. You also came to this board with a positive outlook, so cats will be more willing to help you here.

T

The Bastard

fuck yeah dood id love to se a picture of all that shit in one place,that setup aint no joke

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
You already got enough to last you the rest of the time making tracks. I'm sure your brother already had some heat, so I would go through his tracks and see how he was putting stuff togeher. I would start this small though. I would just turn on the mixer and MPC and look at the tracks there. I'm sure he also had a lotta tracks already recoreded into pro tool also. You also came to this board with a positive outlook, so cats will be more willing to help you here.

yeah thats the best idea ive heard on here actually, i'd try turning everything on and going into cubase and searching your hard drive for some of your bro's project files; that way you can load them in cubase and see how he put each instrument together musically as well as seeing how he got it routed into the program

that gear setup is sick, you got basically everything top of the line right there.

Right i ran round real quick looking at the names of the gear in here, so it can help you cat's out real quick

Digidesign Digi002 System002 and Pro Tools LE
Digidesign 002 Rack
Yamaha 01X
Native Instruments KORE System
Akai Mpc4000
Digidesign D-Command
Korg Triton Extreme
Roland Fantom x6
Yamaha Motif Rack
Clavia Nord g2 Engine Rack
Dave Smith Polyevolver
Access virus ti desktop
Korg DTR2000 Rack Tuner

2x technics sl 1210's

1x Macbook pro

Soft:

Cubase Sx
Sampletank Xl
Hypersonic
An Sr-202
EastWest Plugins
Waves Diamond plugins
T-Racks
Reason 3.0
Protools Le

..Resspect to hi-lo and you other cats for giving me a good basic understanding of how things should work, today i officially start fucking with this shit, just wish i knew how to turn it all on LOL
lemme fill you in on what i can here, this setup is incredible.

Digidesign Digi002 System002 and Pro Tools LE- protools integrated input/output and the protools program. this is the industry standard for tracking and mixing; this is what they use once a beat is ready to be recorded over (tracking) and mixed so it sounds professional. some ppl also use protools as a sequencer but i would go w/ cubase. i would definitely suggest you leave pro tools alone for a while and learn cubase first, it just isnt necessary right now for u.

Yamaha 01X
Native Instruments KORE System- this is an integrated hardware/software system which integrates all of Native Instrument's VST's using a hardware browser in what they call the kore system; its hard to explain how powerful this thing is but basically it lets you both use and combine the best Virtual Instruments in the game...and it also has a rediculous feature where you can search for sounds by mood instead of by name.

Akai Mpc4000- hardware sampler; this is what cats who sample a lot do their work on, whether that be sampling a record for melody pieces, bass, or drum sounds. mpc's are also commonly used by many producers to lay down their drums by assigning an individual drum sound to each pad...i would learn how to access the songs/programs your bro saved on there and play around with it to see what i mean. definitely learn the mpc first, and like i said make sure u get a manual the 4000 is a beast.

Digidesign D-Command- i mean cot damn homie lol. i'm putting together a professional recording studio right now opening next year and we just bought a D-Command Icon console as our main piece, this thing is becoming the industry standard for professional mixing. you wont really be using this for a year or so but this thing is going to open up huge doors for u down the road. this console integrates fully into protools to let you mix using physical tools (those faders you see on there, the knobs, etc) instead of having to click with ur mouse. aside from that it gives you a rediculous amt of control over your mix.

Korg Triton Extreme- sounds on the triton have kinda been exhausted in rap but it is still a fantastic keyboard and if u tweak the sounds its still a beast. lil jon's favorite board.

Roland Fantom x6- second best board out there these days for hip hop, the fantom and the motif go hand in hand as the top 2 used by rap producers. like the triton the fantom can be used as either a midi controller or played using its own library of sounds, which are sick.

Yamaha Motif Rack- best pianos and strings in the game, scott storch made his millions offa this machine.

Clavia Nord g2 Engine Rack- another standard piece you'll find in a lot of pro rap studios, got some great leads.

Dave Smith Polyevolver
Access virus ti desktop- digital recreation of one of the better hardware synths ever made, the Access Virus.

Korg DTR2000 Rack Tuner

2x technics sl 1210's

1x Macbook pro

Soft:

Cubase Sx- one of the best sequencers around, very easy to learn- learn this and the mpc first.
Sampletank Xl- virtual instrument that is kind of like a virtual mpc but with a piano keyboard instead of 16 pads...very easy to manipulate samples in this thing, its a beast once you learn it. also comes with a lot of its own sounds.

Hypersonic- solid vst that comes with some great sounds of its own.
An Sr-202
EastWest Plugins
Waves Diamond plugins- 8 thousand dollar mastering bundle right here, these are the best in the game.
T-Racks
Reason 3.0- another sick program you'll use often once you learn it; see all those rack modules you got? reason is a software studio that has virtual rack modules that act a lot like the ones u got once you give them the right sounds. gives you a ton of control over your sound and the combinator feature, which lets you stack rack sounds on top of each other, is perfect for hip hop.

Protools Le

NobleWordz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
Everyone else has covered the beat making thing so all I want to say is I'm sorry about your brother, I list my brother when I was a kid. I know how it fells, if you need to talk or anything just hit me up.

~NW~

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
.Resspect to hi-lo and you other cats for giving me a good basic understanding of how things should work, today i officially start fucking with this shit, just wish i knew how to turn it all on LOL

I Just read that!! lmao!! I feel you!!

RIP to your brother, did he have a "Stage Name?" ie: Im Relic

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.
I def fuck wit that mpc and them racks first off and use the triton for keys and basslines

phayzebeatz

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Yo. Sorry about your loss my nikka. You're doing something BIG for your brother's memory and for yourself! You came to the right place no doubt. Some of the advice I would give has pretty much already been said. Its gonna be a step by step process, but rest assured that you alredy have EVERYTHING you need!! The only thing missing is some tips, tricks and tools of expertise which u will find right here...sarting off with the MPC 4000 is a good thing,that machine isa beast. I know some cats who only have the MPC and they are making that fire all day!!! I would say to visit the specific formus (MPC forum, Propellerhead (Reason) forum) to ask specific questions or get some of the tutorials. You can also go oun youtube and type 'mpc tutorial' in the search engine to see footage of producers using the equipment and giving little tips at the same time.
Good luck man.

phayzebeatz

members online