Kanye West On His Trademark Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
jaydub23510 said:
But without that sample I don't know everything kinda sounds the same, but Big D., MarknBeats, DeuceMade, Truth, they have that Boom bap shit with them and to me that's the essence of hip hop, in the end though all you have is self, so do it!

the thing is, jaydub, everything you have ever heard from me- with the exception of a track or two early on- has been completely composed myself. there is a way to compose and arrange hip hop music.... and for the most part i feel i have done that well. i am always being complimented on the "sample" that i created myself.

and while i completely understand where big d stands on this subject, as far as four bar loops- i am also with class about pushing the envelope and creating something new. maybe it isnt hip hop in its "essence"... but for me, its about making music. i started out sampling and doing straight four bar loops and grew from there. give me an mpc and a turntable and i guarantee you i can still get down that way.

truthfully, there is a place for straight loops. some of the best and most classic beats (to me) have been straight loops...

so again, listen to these two songs:

You Got Me, by The Roots,

and "Day One" by Diggin In The Crates crew and you will see a very big difference betweenthe two- but both are dope, both are hip hop, and both were classics. one was composed and arranged, and the other was a straight four bar loop.

basically, there is a moral there- you cant put those limitations on hip hop. and as always, the final product- hte actual song- is the determining factor.

as far as folks coming from other styles and having training, well, they all have their perspectives to offer up musically and while yuo may not like their style personally, there is a market there for wha they do.

there is obviously an underlying structure of what makes hip hop hip hop, and there IS A LIMIT to how far it can go out of its traditions before its something else entirely... but if its still hip hop... who cares...

i say, judge the music for itself. if its good music, just make the music you make and if it doesnt getthe hip hop vote, it will get something somewhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.