Keeping a singer on key

DJ Xsinna

The Big Bang-BINO
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 43
What's up Illfam?

Have you ever run into this? I'm working with an artist (singer) who sings right on key with the music when it's a live setting but when it comes to studio recording with the headphones on, she fluctuates and doesn't stay on key. If I play a track for her through speakers or if someone plays the piano (again, a live setting) and she sings, she nails it everytime! I have figured out that she's a live singer not a studio singer. Hearing the track through headphones throws her singing off. has anyone experienced this? If so, what did you do to get the bang performance out of your artist? Is it possible to give her the best of both worlds without having music bleeding onto her vocal tracks??

HELP!!! :)

Kontents

I like Gearslutz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
You could record her live once with the music so everythings together and then have her listen to herself through the headphones to mimic the rang in the track you already recorded. This way she is staying on key with herself by listening to herself doing it right.

Then Hit Record... Take the fresh vocals and lay the track.

Just a suggestion. Good Luck.

Low G

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
A next trick would be to try and play the melody she's supposed to sing on a keyboard and record that as a reference track so she can hear if things are going off key.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
Unless she's off key throughout the performance I wouldn't worry about it. Use Melodyne to correct the parts where she's off. It's actually not a bad problem to have.....she at least nails it live. It's usually the other way around!!!!

I experienced this with a vocalist and an Emcee a few times. What I found out is that for some reason they tried to out do themselves once the heard there vox in the headphones. Once I only let the music come thru and didn't feed back there vox they got it right!!!!

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
Turn her vocal mix way down in the headphones, so she can hardly hear herself. This will force her to sing louder and will almost always result in a better performance. in her mind she will just think she is singing quietly. Engineering is all psychology!

DJ Xsinna

The Big Bang-BINO
ill o.g.
That's what's up!! Thanks guys. I am going to emplore your suggestions and hope for the best. Great tips.
Lil Drama Boi, I actually got to see that Melodyne at work...SICK!!! I just wish I had it. Maybe one of these days I'll get that (along with a Mac G5). Melodyne is amazing. So I'm assuming that you have it...yes?

Kontents

I like Gearslutz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
^^^^^
Bless you Kontents. :)

yeah man...get that. I use it on damn near everything. It's also a good tool to use on a singer when u don't know what key they sing in. let them drop the accapella, use melodyne and it'll show u there key. Then u can build the track in or around there key range. As hip hop producers we usually don't worry about the key of instruments but when you're dealing with a real vocalist it makes all the difference in the world.

When I need to change the key on a sample or instrument after I've laid it down i turn to melodyne. Drop the instrument performance or sample in melodyne and tune it with ease. No more replay jack!!! I change the key of a previously done track to match the vocalist. Melodyne, once u have it will be a "go to" tool.

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
try having her sing with only one ear phone on somtimes that helps. ... thats a very common problem .. some people dont record in booths at all for that very reason! ... depending on how good she is, u may want to try a dynamic mic that she can hold and move around .. there are tons of great singers who use dynamics in the studio and cut records from the control room , erkah badu, lauryn hill, bono .. etc ... to do this u need a very good preamp though .. not ur standard one that come i with ur audio interface.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
havent read the other responses yet but...

AHHHhhhh....Red Light Syndrome...

Yes this is the thing that happens when the red recording light comes on , and people choke.

I went out to kareoke bars with my singer and we had a good time , but I learned her style and learned her range and writing style and everything...
Sometimes its good to go chill with a broad and learn how they have fun with it, then bring that into the studio with you THEN it gets better.
Just my experience.
Once I learned the artist heself THEN I could in corporate it in to what I had in my head for the sound of the voice, as far as production..Course none of this keeps em on key but..When they go off it makes it easier to make them get back on...Or cuss em out and FORCE them back on! without gettin knifed.

DJ Xsinna

The Big Bang-BINO
ill o.g.
try having her sing with only one ear phone on somtimes that helps. ... thats a very common problem .. some people dont record in booths at all for that very reason! ... depending on how good she is, u may want to try a dynamic mic that she can hold and move around .. there are tons of great singers who use dynamics in the studio and cut records from the control room , erkah badu, lauryn hill, bono .. etc ... to do this u need a very good preamp though .. not ur standard one that come i with ur audio interface.

WOW Ash!! That's good to know. Any recomends for a preamp?