Keeping short loops interesting??

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 543
How do you keep short loops/hooks interesting or without them driving you insane?

I'm talking about real short catchy 2bar loops (in trap it'd essentially be like 1bar kinda, 'cause of the halftime).
Loops/hooks that sound like they're the key/main part of the instrumental, so need to be featured quite constantly.

when you're rolling one main hook, how do you approach it???

I'm sure i've heard tracks that do this without sounding annoying. Can't figure out why.

(got a few of my own ideas, but yeah,how *you* deal with it?)

Last edited:
When I listen to some of my favorite producers work, most of them have subtle variation.
When working within the limits of a sample there are many ways you can get creative to change it up a little, usually at the end of 8 or 16 bars. Little different changes that keep the listener interested.
The art of music is in the subtle variations that can make something repetitive and hypnotic also interesting on a subliminal level at times, by layering textures to create a feeling and having small variations you can stretch a repetitive boring beat out a long way. Drop outs in the drums you place over the sample, drop outs of the sample itself, pitch shifting the sample. You just have to fuck with it and the more you fuck with samples, the more ways you figure out how to fuck with them.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Yeah a lot of the ways I also been thinking about too.

Bit mad sometimes you play some sick little hook, by the 5th time it's looped round you're like "ok, calm down now"

A lot of records can literally just run the same loop throughout or be all-chorus, but it works. Subtle clever ways. Some can just get lucky and the loop just works without becoming annoying for the duration of the song.

skidflow

Boom Bap is precious art
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 214
Yeah a lot of the ways I also been thinking about too.

Bit mad sometimes you play some sick little hook, by the 5th time it's looped round you're like "ok, calm down now"

A lot of records can literally just run the same loop throughout or be all-chorus, but it works. Subtle clever ways. Some can just get lucky and the loop just works without becoming annoying for the duration of the song.
It’s all about the feel of a beat and the “pocket” that it’s in. “Overcooking” beats just to give it change ups is most time counterproductive. Most hooks are 8 bars...anything after that is probably a sequencing mistake.

What's meant by "pocket" btw, seen it used a fair bit since i been back.
its its little place in the mix where it can be heard clearly
when mixing and two sounds clash, you can do some equing to allow one to sit "in the pocket" by ducking the other one from the sweet spot

crosstevsky

beats architect
Battle Points: 127
no no no...thats not "pocket"....it has nothing to do with mixing...it is kind of hard to explain...but it is a feeling...sort of like tightness and at the same time loosness in your rhythm patterns...as a drummer i sometimes get this feeling especially when i'm with a good bass player...you sort of lock in this place (the pocket) where you play a groove...nothing flashy...not fancy fills and licks...just simple groove..you just want to nod your head and smile.... :)

skidflow

Boom Bap is precious art
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 214
The pocket has to do with the “groove and feel” mainly. I you can bob your head to a beat without feeling the least bit forced with trying to stay on rhythm then you’ve hit a good pocket...and sometimes mixing things and having them in their proper space makes it easier to find the pocket.

crosstevsky

beats architect
Battle Points: 127
The pocket has to do with the “groove and feel” mainly. I you can bob your head to a beat without feeling the least bit forced with trying to stay on rhythm then you’ve hit a good pocket...and sometimes mixing things and having them in their proper space makes it easier to find the pocket.
Thats it!

C4NTK33P5T1LL

I O U a clever tagline signed me
Battle Points: 200
Don't Think I Could Have Put It Better Than What's Been Said
Can Be A Good Way To Keep Ya Skills Sharp Though Some Restriction
Like A Sort Of Macgyver Or A-Team Approach To Beat Making
Chops Little Melodic Slivers In Varied But Not Alien To Each Other
Bigger Slices Mess With Tempo / Pitch A Rhythmic Ping Pong
EDGE FADE WHEN CHOPPING OR YOU GET LOTS OF POPPING
Getting That Inked Ankle To Crotch)

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
no no no...thats not "pocket"....it has nothing to do with mixing...it is kind of hard to explain...but it is a feeling...sort of like tightness and at the same time loosness in your rhythm patterns...as a drummer i sometimes get this feeling especially when i'm with a good bass player...you sort of lock in this place (the pocket) where you play a groove...nothing flashy...not fancy fills and licks...just simple groove..you just want to nod your head and smile.... :)

Thanks my dudes... this is the kinda thing i waa thinking it meant!

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
imo many times when a producer can't find the finish for a beat, its usually lyrics.
to OP question, drum variations, additiional sounds that support the sample can add variation, and of course, lyrics.

I been thinking this a bit especially recently. Been listening to a lot of pared back stuff lately. With essentially a 1 bar loop as the main hook repearing through the track.

But it really makes the lyrics kinda jump off the track. Even if they themselves keep a quite consistent flow.

The other thing ims seeing is some vocal are gettinf really heavy reverb treatment... and especially vocal using autotune the vocal really dominate a lot of space and melodic content