Keyboards??

Arc.I.Tect

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
OK ya'll, I'm soon going to be starting out with producing and I am obviously going to need a keyboard/ midi controller. Now I'm lookin in anywhere up to 4/450. Now, I've been trying to do some research into these things and any extra help would be appreciated. Anyway, here are some of the models I am looking at, if any of you have information on these models (pros or cons) or another model you suggest would be good please share this information with me.

Edirol PCR-M80 61-Note MIDI Keyboard Controller

http://www.edirol.com/products/info/pcrm80.html

M-Audio Ozone

http://www.maudio.co.uk/products/en_gb/Ozone-main.html

Evolution 449C 49-Key MIDI Controller

http://www.evolution.co.uk/products/evo_mk449c.htm

Korg Kontrol49
http://www.korg.com/gear/info.asp?a_prod_no=KONTROL49&category_id=1

Thanks in advance.

Steel Side

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
you'll need a sound module or some way of getting midi into your computer beacuse i don't think any of those come with sounds. You might or might not know that those are just midi controllers. I'd go with the Evo because of the usb capabilities. Out

Arc.I.Tect

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Yah, that was going to be one of my other questions is what kind of keyboard do I want Midi controller or synthesizer or any of that? Because I've heard various things from a lot of people but none of them say which one I'd really wanna rock just half them say get what I got and the other half say to get what they got but no real info. So, is it still a MIDI controller I want, or a synthesizer or something I'm completely forgetting?

Edit: If I wait longer I can probably swing some more so would a Roland RS-70 Sythesizer be a good choice? http://www.roland.com/products/en/RS-70/

Or, again, if any of you have good information sites please direct me to them.

Thanks

Steel Side

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Well what kind of setup are you planning on using?
That will determine whether you want to get a controller or a synth. You could always get the controller, and then get rack mount modules to control, for sounds. Now if you are going to go with a software type of setup, then the controller is a good choice. You could then still get the rack mounts for extra sounds, plus you'll have access to all the sounds out there on the web.

The advantage of buying the keybord is that they usually have some type of built in sequencer or sampler. You could emulate that with software such as Fruity Loops, or Cakewalk, or Logic, or Pro Tools. I'm sure you've heard of all of those. They are all software.
You could go with a hardware setup as well. It's all up to you. It will probably end up being more cost effective to go with a software setup, but to tell you the truth having a conglomeration of both hard and software would be the best way to go.

There are numerous products out there that pretty much do the same thing. They all have product specific features, but the underlying is the same. A sequencer allows you to creat sequences. A sampler samples, and a keyboard is really a midi controller with a built-in sound module.

Go to guitar center or chuck levin's and play around with the stuff they have there and choose what you like best. I'm no expert so don't listen to me. Ask questions and make a decision based on what you need and what you like.

Also go to the web sites for products you may be interested in and download the manual for the product. Read it, and then you'll have a better idea of what that product can do. Hope I could help. Out

Oh yeah, if you going to go with Roland, my personal preference would be the Fantom X8. I fell in love with it the first time I used it, and am now saving to cop one. Just my personal preference, but worth checking out. Out

Arc.I.Tect

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Ok thanks, I'm going to see if I can get some time to get out there this weekend see wasup and yah, I'm going for a mix of hardware/software thanks for the help

TachyonFresh

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
uhhh, whats this talk of having sound modules?

im using acid pro 5 and i plan on getting an edirol pcr-30........will i not be able to control the pre loaded sounds (such as drum kicks and hi ahts) that come inside acid? shouldnt i technically be able to map a certain sound to whatever key i want and use that key to play the sound? or am i like compltely wrong?

S

smeagle

hate to jack your thrread bro but im in a similar situation
im planning on getting a new keyboard, to use thru my computer on fruity loops and was just wanting some advice on a good keyboard to get for around the $300 mark, i was looking at the m-audio oxegen8
i'm also planning on getting a new soundcard and headphones, i have around the $800-1000 mark to spend all up including the keyboard so any advice as to specifics to what to get which be much appreciated, also hit me up on msn if you can jeru_101@hotmail.com

Big Tone

You done fucked up
ill o.g.
i have the edirol 32 key and i love it

the m audio ozonic has phantom power and its also compatible with pro tools m-powered

Steel Side

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Sound moduels provide signature sounds, iLke those of the motiff es, korg triton, and roland xa. These are for hardware setups. It sounds like all of you are planning on a software setup, so you wouldn't need the modules. You can still use them however. The basis of what I was saying is that you can't just buy a midid controller and expect to have sounds. Controllers are slaves, and you stil need a master to control. I'd go with the Evolution 449C 49-Key MIDI Controller because of the USB capabilities. Out

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.
Big Tone said:
i have the edirol 32 key and i love it

the m audio ozonic has phantom power and its also compatible with pro tools m-powered
yoo this has nuttin to do with this topic..but Tone what part of JErsey u from??

Arc.I.Tect

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Steel Side said:
sound moduels provide signature sounds, lkie those of the motiff es, korg triton, and roland xa. these are for hardware setups. I t sound like all of you are planning on a software setup, so you wouldn't need the moduels. You can still use them however. The basis of what I was saying is that you can't just buy a midid controller and expect to hane sounds. Controllers are slaves, and you stil need a master to control. I'd go with the Evolution 449C 49-Key MIDI Controller because of the USB capabilities. Out

Yah, I understand now that a MIDI controller has no sounds and all, but what I'm saying is that I don't expect to be using software/hardware forever eventually I will want to switch over to mostly hardware but I'm using the software to get used to producing in the begining, so would it be pointless to get just a MIDI controller now rather than one with sounds or just get the MIDI controller use the software and eventually get the sound modules?

Big Tone

You done fucked up
ill o.g.
FuriouZ said:
yoo this has nuttin to do with this topic..but Tone what part of JErsey u from??

Colonia. thats between rahway and edison

Big Tone

You done fucked up
ill o.g.
damn cant beat that