Keyboards...

Skillz

ill o.g.
I'm just woundering which keyboard i should buy? All this choice as got me confused...

Now i'm not a big producer or ever planning to be (due to another career path) but i'd still like to have some basic equipment for when i am producing in my spare time :)

I'm not lookin for anything fancy (dunno if this sounds fancy or not lol) just somethin that will let me change sounds and such (from basic piano to guitar, etc) and maybe even program the keys to put samples on or something. If it can connect to my PC through a USB/Parallel port then the better as i do all my work on the PC...

Like i say i dont know anything about the sort of equipment as of yet (still readin up and learnin) but i'm not lookin for anything too expensive, the cheaper it is the better because i am a little short of money at the moment and if i do start makin some good beats then i'll upgrade to a better piece of equipment :)

One,
Skillz

Skillz

ill o.g.
I'm not sure what i mean really, thats why i posted, just wanted some feedback to tell me what to look for or what the different things are (like MIDI, etc) and aybe some link to keyboard or something :)

Thanks for replyin tho

One,
Skillz

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
depends you can either buy a midi keyboard with sounds built in it or you can buy a midi controller which will allow you to control sounds from an external sound module or a software sound module reason for example if you want a midi controller look through the m-audio range the ozonic is pretty good if you can afford it as its got a built in soundcard if not go for an oxygen 8 or something to get you started or if you want something a radium ! check on ebay for good price ! i picked my radium 61 key up on ebay for a good price !
if you want a keyboard with built in sounds then im not really able to help with that im afraid !

Skillz

ill o.g.
So let me get this right then..

MIDI Keyboard: Built in sounds like the wack ass ones you used tro get at school where you pressed liek the number 78 and you got like Mobil Phone sounds and shit like that

MIDI Controller: Lets me hook it up to the PC and have what ever sounds i like for what ever keys (Like Drum Kits and stuff like that)

I think i'm right in thinkin that...

Also is this the M-Audio Oxygen 8 here http://www.musik-schmidt.de/osc-schmidt/catalog/images/MIDIMAN_Oxygen.jpg coz i think i was readin a review on it and it got a good one apart from the fact the lack of keys...

One,
Skillz

Mastertunes

ill o.g.
Skillz said:
So let me get this right then..

MIDI Keyboard: Built in sounds like the wack ass ones you used tro get at school where you pressed liek the number 78 and you got like Mobil Phone sounds and shit like that

MIDI Controller: Lets me hook it up to the PC and have what ever sounds i like for what ever keys (Like Drum Kits and stuff like that)

I think i'm right in thinkin that...

Also is this the M-Audio Oxygen 8 here http://www.musik-schmidt.de/osc-schmidt/catalog/images/MIDIMAN_Oxygen.jpg coz i think i was readin a review on it and it got a good one apart from the fact the lack of keys...

One,
Skillz

Not really. The difference between a MIDI controller and a Midi Keyboard is that a Midi controller is used to control internal sounds in a MIDI device (could be an MPC, Synthesizer, rack, anything as long as it has MIDI) and a Midi keyboard is a keyboard that you can hook up to a MIDI device to sequence the sounds (some keyboards have a sequencer build in but that's usually called a workstation, not a keyboard) that the keyboard has built in. These in built sounds aren't necessarrily wack because you can buy keyboards who range from $300 to $6500. You can make it as expensive as you want it to make, but the general rule is that the more you spend, the better the quality the internal sounds are.

Skillz

ill o.g.
So MIDI Keyboard: built in sounds, sequence either build in or a MIDI device

and MIDI Controller: sounds from either an MPC, PC, etc, and sequenced through a MIDI device

I think i got the idea of it now, but i'll have to read up on it some more...

One,
Skillz

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
yea you got it now like mastertunes sed the sounds on a decent keyboard can be really good, obviously a £15 casio is guna sound like a piece of shit but a korg triton or woteva is guna have professioanal standard sounds ! yea that pic is the oxygen 8 i used to have the ozone but i changed up to the radium now and they have both been real good !
if you just want to play little things or trigger samples the oxygen is cool but obviously if you can play properly and you want to play more things the extra octaves (keys) are worth paying for !

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
Actually, since you're just starting, I wouldn't really suggest buying a midi keyboard, since they are real expensive, if you want quality (of course, if budget is not an issue, go wild, my man!!!

Skillz

ill o.g.
Thats the only problem, money...

At the moment i'm saving up for my car insurace so i cant really spend too much on equipment.

I'd usualy got stright from the Indistry Standard equipment (just like i did with my decks) so i knew i had the best and i could do everything properly

But i cant do it this time other wise i know i could spend thousands of pounds on equipment and i know i dont have the time to use it so something cheap for the time being would be nice :)

I have one bookmarked on eBay, wont tell you which incase someone else on here wants to bid on it :p

One,
Skillz

eXampuL_oNe

LOW-PRO
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
Maybe you should just go with a good computer program with sounds in it (Reason) and buy a midi controller. That way if you ain't trying to get serious (even though u can) you will be able to change all your sounds tweak them and sample with the program using the controller. That way you save cash and you still get the bang for your buck..

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
^^^^ exactly. Plus, you'll see what kind of sound you prefer... if you buy a keyboard right now, you will be stuck with the sound you'll have. And you'll have to buy other extra sound modules (bank of sounds) that will be to your liking.