Knockin' Drums

Royal

Tha RENEGADE
ill o.g.
Yo, I need help on my drums in Reason. What should I do to make my drums knock harder.

-Roy

Guevara

BETTER THAN YESTERDAY
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 34
Manji said:
turn them up really REALLY LOUD!

AS FUNNY AS THiS iS iTS ACTUALLY THE TRUTH, PLAY WiTH THE VoLUME LEVELS AND THEN LAYER YoUR KiCKS AND oR SNARES WiTH Hi HATS, oR oTHER KiCKS AND SNARES.

RELEASE;

spin

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
add the scream on them if you have the reason 2.5 version... or i you dont have scream add some compressor and eqs

berserk

Monster Music
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
he is kind of right... if you layer two kicks... and put like a concert reverb on one of them and turn it down a bit... you can get some really hard hitting drums... he is also right about having it mostly on the snare... repeat the same process...

listen to heatmakerz for a heavy reverb, premo for a light reverb, and just blaze for "so faint but makes a difference" reverb...

chewbux

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
yea reverb aint bad man, it just needs to be used with heavy moderation. also try layering different samples. sometimes ill combine a couple snares or a snare and a rim or clap and they can hit a lot harder. u just gotta mess around till you get somethin u like

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
chewbux said:
yea reverb aint bad man, it just needs to be used with heavy moderation. also try layering different samples. sometimes ill combine a couple snares or a snare and a rim or clap and they can hit a lot harder. u just gotta mess around till you get somethin u like

thats exaclty what i do, i layer the hell out of my drums, since i really cant EQ yet thats all i got.

class...

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
I have had protools for about 2 or 3 years and I am just learning how to get my drums exactly how I want them......yes...layering works and it's not a big secret becuz Mpc's have had that feature of stacking sounds for like 15 or 20 years.....anyhow in addition to that you have 2 choices.....equ and sound shape the sound/sample exactly how you want it B4........or you can do all of the EQ and FX post mix on that channel during mixing........I usually record my entire song multitracked....(without any clipping or distortion I leave a lil breathing room for FX and eq)........then after the recording I bring all of my levels down for every channel......then I start by bringing up the sounds I want to stand out in the mix especially for hip hop......the kick.....the snare and the bass get first.......then I bring some of the other levels up/panned and effected.....after I am happy with that I bring the master fader level up short of 0.......thing I like about protools is that you can go back and correct your mix until you have the right thump from the Kick or snap from the snare.....I am not embarrased to let you know I am just now learning how to mix correctly.....but drums are the most important in hip hop......I got sick of people telling me "your drums are weak" or where is the kick? or that snare needs to be brought up in the mix....I have the luxury of another producer that shops tracks for me and will give you feedback and help you to correct things like your drums and melodies.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
noobz grrr....

nobody in for the comps ? kick - ratio 4:1, play with treshold, attack completly open, release completly closed. Now use comps for every drumchannel ( well hats shouldnt be necessary ).

Part 2, envelopes, envelopes, envelopes.

Give the drumtrack some breathing space and try to create space between drumhits by altering their acousting envelope. Shorten releases on kick and snares for example.

Dont layer to much, you can get punchy drums with just one single layer on all the drums.

SyN

SUICYCO MANIA
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
very true formant... very true... all you got to do is mix shit right to get "knockin drums"... no need for all this layering stuff... it just takes away from the over all... there are times to do it and more times not to do it... compression can be a tricky thing, but when you get it right, you will fall in love with it... that and eq... dont always boost everything on the eq... try to find some unwanted frequencies and do some negative eqing... much better than pushing everything and basically muddin out the drum instead of makin it "knock"