KRS1 Dissing BET Freestyle

Ominous

OminousRed.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
I picked up that Joel Ortiz album.

Lyrically a 10.. but some of his beat selections were iffy. Cats in this forums could have given him better beats. I give the album a 9 overall. if he had better beats... it'd be a 10 easy.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
KRS is the best to ever have spit over the head of the mic ****PERIOD****

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
I love Pac and Bigz music but you can't even mention their legacy in the same sentence as KRS or Rakim. Put on bigz "one more chance" and then drop "South Bronx"....Put the needle to any Pac song and then spin "Paid in full". It's a wrap!

I picked up that Joel Ortiz album.

Lyrically a 10.. but some of his beat selections were iffy. Cats in this forums could have given him better beats. I give the album a 9 overall. if he had better beats... it'd be a 10 easy.

Thanks for letting me know about that, the only track of his I know of is the Brooklyn Bullshit track, and Im definitly feeling that one. I will have to keep a headsup for the album.

Ominous

OminousRed.com
ill o.g.
Thanks for letting me know about that, the only track of his I know of is the Brooklyn Bullshit track, and Im definitly feeling that one. I will have to keep a headsup for the album.

^^^ No Doubt.

A lot of people are complaining about how Hip Hop is dead is dying but all you have to do is grab that album.

Every track has some serious damage on it.

The only problem I found with it is it is very repetitive. He doesn't rap outside of himself at all. Which is not a big deal... every rapper does that. But when you hear how lyrically talented he is, you wish he'd spit on more topics outside of I'M DOPE, I"M FROM BROOKLYN, LIFE IS HARD. And again... the beats thing. He needs better beats.

I hope he doesn't end up like Canibus.

Just my humble opinion. The album is worthy of collecting.

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
^^^ i know what u mean... its like hes telling the same story in a diffrent way on evry track.... hes nice without question tho.. ... and hes another artist that im speaking about on the beats .. i think alot of it boils down to poor A&R work and filtering the material. i know for a FACT that ALOT of cats submitted some serious heat for that album. including myself lol.. basically ever since ive had the resources/connects to submit beats for projects, i have been extremely dissapointed in the final product that these releases have. I dont think its a jealousy thing either.... if i was blown away and totally unworthy of these projects , i would be the first to admit it. i think A&Rs and some artists are scared to take a risk and step out of there comfort zone. The album was hot as hell, but it was also predictable if u know what i mean.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Joell is a dope MC. I just hope Dre can put that commercial edge on him. I don't want him to completely change up his flow but if it don't make dollars it don't make sense at Universal. He's gotta blow commecially or Dre won't fuck with him for long. Dre and Rakim couldn't get it done commmercially and we see where that went.

I will say this. Constant songs like what he did on the album he drop'd on Koch "the brick" won't get it done on Aftermath. I don't see him dropin' on Aftermath until a year to 18 months from now so they can polish him up for mainstream radio. Once you've done the numbers that Dre's artist have you can't go backwards! Joell has to appeal to more than just the New York Hip Hop heads to be successful in mainstream.

trez260

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
industry rule number 4,080 - record company people are shady
industry rule number 4,081 - never battle KRS-1

on a side note, i've hear bits here and there of Joell Ortiz. another dope emcee to check for is Big Lou, he's coming from kay slay's camp, that alone concerns me if we'll ever get a release from him.
check'em

Ominous

OminousRed.com
ill o.g.
^^^ ... its like hes telling the same story in a diffrent way on evry track.....

Couldn't have said it better. That would have been nuts if you had got some placement on his project.

If he did save his best for Aftermath and spit any harder than he already has, that album should be an instant classic.

Dre and Rakim is a great example though. That should have been huge. When I was working in the music store this came out and we were all amped.. but after we heard it it... mad disappointed. Ortiz could easily go that way. But I have a feeling that Aftermath has learned too much on how to create a commercial success. I have a feeling it will be super commercial. Bunch of club sh*t with a couple of hood tracks. Guess we'll find out soon.

It is going to be very interesting to see where Hip Hop is in about a year. 50's release is going to be interesting. They are already dooming the dude. See how fast Buck disappeared? How fast G-unit dissovled.

Anybody else see a weird pattern?

Start off Mom and Pop Shop literally out of your basement. Then you get a little buzz. You take the opportunity to grow as big as you can and try to capitalize off your new fame. You go corporate. Clothing line. Acting. Other products. Then... people reject you.

So my question is... WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

Would you like to be NAS / KRS1 - true to the art?

Or pull a 50 Cent / Puffy and get as much as you can while you can?

trez260

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
So my question is... WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

Would you like to be NAS / KRS1 - true to the art?

Or pull a 50 Cent / Puffy and get as much as you can while you can?
my answer is.... to be somewhere in between the two.

keep in mind, KRS isn't exactly wondering where his next meal is coming from, or updating his resume while job hunting either..lol

Krs always releases product every few years, that i think was the problem of alot of our favs from those times that are now lost in the sauce. when is the next Rakim album droppin DAMMIT!?!?!?!?!

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68
industry rule number 4,080 - record company people are shady
industry rule number 4,081 - never battle KRS-1

on a side note, i've hear bits here and there of Joell Ortiz. another dope emcee to check for is Big Lou, he's coming from kay slay's camp, that alone concerns me if we'll ever get a release from him.
check'em http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZKYSyKKzPyU

word. Big Lou is reppin Jers too. I think he's from Camden.

my answer is.... to be somewhere in between the two.

keep in mind, KRS isn't exactly wondering where his next meal is coming from, or updating his resume while job hunting either..lol

Krs always releases product every few years, that i think was the problem of alot of our favs from those times that are now lost in the sauce. when is the next Rakim album droppin DAMMIT!?!?!?!?!

I think there can be a rapper/emcee in the middle, but they always tend to lean a certain way. More towards money of course. I mean, look at Shady. Dude had shit on lock with the first two albums, he was killin it in the mainstream. Had he continued to do so, maybe he could have helped bring more serious emcees out. Instead he brings out a singin 50 Cent? Meh.

trez260

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I think there can be a rapper/emcee in the middle, but they always tend to lean a certain way. More towards money of course. I mean, look at Shady. Dude had shit on lock with the first two albums, he was killin it in the mainstream. Had he continued to do so, maybe he could have helped bring more serious emcees out. Instead he brings out a singin 50 Cent? Meh.
no doubt. i think one of the best to pull that off was biggie. biggie showed that you can spit some shit on a commercial friendly record and still not come across as a "cross over" artist. i mean one more chance was a chick record and he still came off on that shit.

members online