Laptop for recording and thangs

N.U.G.

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
hey fam,

I'm trying to help a rapper I know to get a lil laptop setup happening where they can record vocals and all of that at a decent level of quality... i'd really appreciate some help on what to recommend to them as I'm no expert in this area.

so far I'm thinking;

LAPTOP
Dell Inspirion 630m

MICROPHONE
cheap option: Shure sm58
mid-priced option: Rode NT1-A

SOUNDCARD
this is probably the area i need the most advice in. I'm thinking a firewire audio interface that they can just plug the mic in without needing a mixer would be good like say the MAudio Firewire 1814 Audio/MIDI Interface
http://www.zzounds.com/item--MDOFW1814

hmmm, that's about it right?

anything else they should know or may need?

thanks fam

E

Equality 7-2521

sounds about right bro. make sure they have a pop filter too. thats mandatory. as far as the mic is concerned, it will be worth the extra money to get the rode (condenser) instead of the sm58 (dynamic).

i think the firewire 14/18 is overkill for someone just recording vocals. theres too many unessasary inputs and outputs. a simple 2 in / 2 out soundcard would do the job just fine. maybe the mbox 2 or one of the cut down versions of the firewire 18/14 such as the firewire 4/10. for tracking vocals, a usb connection is going to be fine. firewire is not neccessary.

the choice of a Dell is good. They work well with Pro Tools

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
mobile pre is very good for recording on laptops, or on the go sessions. i acutally use it for my home studio.