Laptop to Car Audio system

AKP

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
True story,

I was homeless in Cali for awhile and was unable to get to a computer or anything to make beats. So I took my computer stole power from a adjacent building and made a track for a fellow homeless homie in my Ford Aerostar Van. Police came through and told me I was stealing and gave me a no no.

Anywayz since then I have a homie with a van with 3 '12's,1200 watt amp, and I hook up the laptop to the crossover and make beats.

Question

Is there anyone else out there who have tried this approach, and do you have any pros and cons to mixing down from this angle. Alot of times I am dissappointed at first with the sound coming out of his level sensitive system, but after a few changes everything is bumpin just fine.

Am I doing any better on his system then by buying my money's worth in studio monitors?

AKP

PS I got kicked out the shelter after that incident.

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
ermm im not sure if i actually get wot your question is ?

but if its what i think it is then, no mixing in cars is crap because very few cars have a well installed system where you will be able to hear all the right frequencies and where all the speakers will be position anywhere near where they should be !

Hypnotist

Ear Manipulator
ill o.g.
I've had freestyle sessions in the car with pro tools running on an Mbox using the 1/8" cassette tape adapter to the system. Surprisingly there was no feedback on the mic, because of all the padding on the roof and seats, etc.

We were moving, and consuming gas (and my laptop's battery power). I didn't have an adapter for powering my laptop, although I can find one if I wanted.

This isn't what you were talking about, but my method will consume more gas than anything, and if not gas, then your battery will run out before you finish your beat. The concept is fun as hell, but I wouldn't advise it. Get some studio monitors and do it in a stable environment. Not to mention if one day someone sees you and steals your shit. It's bound to happen one day if you keep it up.

Hypnotist

Ear Manipulator
ill o.g.
It's funny... I actually did this again a few months after I posted that. We were mixing in my mom's house and wanted to smoke, so we took it outside and I finished the mix in the car. It actually didn't come out like I wanted it to, as my boy's system had a weird bass response. I tried to flatten it out in the car, but when I got back in, it was too boomy with no midrange.

So sometimes you can get mixed results.

konceptG

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I do shit like this nearly everyday to and from work in Big White (my Lumina). I have my laptop hooked up through a casette adapter coming off of my M-Audio Fast Track USB. I use it to listen to music, but usually end up pulling over in a 7-11 or Circle K after I hear a sample I wanna fuck with, open up SoundForge to chop it, and throw it in FL6 with some basic drums and roll home with it.

Doin shit like that reminds me of that line from "Straighten It Out"

"Stick it in the SP1200, Pete'll make a loop/lovely way to troop, in the Lexus coupe"