lawyers and managers

B.Hawk

THE PRIVATE
ill o.g.
im thinking about getting a manager or a lawyer to shop demos for me which one should i get. Also in richmond va the music industry is not booming like new york and cities like that so should i look into getting a manager from one of those areas or what. or should i be able to meet with them in person whenever????

nas2000xl

The Ripper
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
i was once told to never hire a lawyer to be your manager. if you need a manager then get a manager. hire a lawyer for legal purposes only. thats what they are trained for. a manager will try harder to get you a good deal because he has a reputation to uphold or trying to gain a reputation in the industry. my opinion is never let your lawyer be your manager & never let your manager be your lawyer.

i think you should want to be able to meet with your manager as much as possible since you are putting your career into his hands. i feel as though a artists and manager should get to know each other personally if they are going to be working together.

K.C

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I wouldn't get a manager at this stage, ring the lables that you want to send your demo to and they should tell you the address of there A&R/ demo department, if you get a manager who shops your demo around and you are signed as a result, it could turn ugly, a recent case here, with well known singer Holly Velance was sued by her manager coz she droped him just before she got big, . I think managers get 30% of all artist earnings ? or around about depending on the contract.

themucka

"The man behind the Hits"
ill o.g.
Originally posted by nas2000xl
i was once told to never hire a lawyer to be your manager. if you need a manager then get a manager. hire a lawyer for legal purposes only. thats what they are trained for. a manager will try harder to get you a good deal because he has a reputation to uphold or trying to gain a reputation in the industry. my opinion is never let your lawyer be your manager & never let your manager be your lawyer.

i think you should want to be able to meet with your manager as much as possible since you are putting your career into his hands. i feel as though a artists and manager should get to know each other personally if they are going to be working together.

im disagre on what u said... the good managers are lwayers... cuz they no the bottom line......
plus anybody can be a manager..... im a manger... not a good one cuz i choose 2 produce... but its goes 2 my point... you dont need a degree 2 be mananger..
you do need one 2 be a lwayer

now jus get any lawyer there one thats specialize in these fields entertainment lawyers... i wouldnt trust one that want retainer and promose you deals...

you basically want the attorney 2 held the paperwork.. and he talk 4 you and wit u...
cut the manager fee...

i only holla at my lawyer when i need a contract 4 somebody... or negiate production deals wit companies...

a manager is really only good 4 artist who dont wanna be invovled wit the buiness that much or at all...

depends how big you are

if your small start wit a good lawyer.. thats knows this are of buisness.. hip hop/ rnb
jus music and 2days artist.. not people from 20 years ago

fame_keyz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
a manager can only get 20 percent of what you make after taxes...if you have a manager getting more then that then your getting f-ck!

FlipDaSoulfisha

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Good to think about!

Yo! B.... On the real a manager is an asset to achieving you goal.... Earnin some loot! Basically a manager is going to be out there doing the talking, shopping, & initail promoting of you or your project! You definatly want someone who has "A Way With Words", Someone who is into your music or your vision, and someone that's not your hommie! A manager who is into your music /vision is out there literally sell someone else an idea......."you got skillz & can earn them money in the long run! Now a way with words would mean that he/she could easily fit into any situation from another artist all the way to a professional business atmosphere and talk approapiately & efficiently without leaving the potental client/employer with any bad ideas about U! A manager represents U really! So..... While Your being an "Artist" he's out there covering ground, doing his job!!! Remember...... If you aren't gettin' paid......he ain't gettin paid!

Flip Da SoulFisher

themucka

ill o.g.
Originally posted by inrctyhoodmusic
After all this manager talk I would like to know how do you get a manager??

thats my point u can be a mnager....

but here anotha point ima make 2 prove why a lawyer is needed 1st...

once you meet the big time manger whose gonna hook yall up
your gonna need 2 sign a contract.. his lawyer are gonna draft..
you thinks his lawyer are looking out for your interest....
you need your lawyer 2 make sure errythang strait..... you not getting screwed
but if you dont got one and jus read and sign the bottomline and you have no idea how law and contracts work good luck.....

trusr me lawyer 1st,,,, or you will learn the hardway

themucka

ill o.g.
Originally posted by fame_keyz
a manager can only get 20 percent of what you make after taxes...if you have a manager getting more then that then your getting f-ck!

thats wrong.. a manger can take whateva you signed on the contract,,

he can get rights 2 your publishing.. alot of things

your manager can get paid b4 you...

trsust me..... 20%- 10% is the standards.. depends on how big you or your manager is.. these are reference areas.. not absolute rules...

errythang negotiable

nas2000xl

The Ripper
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
im disagre on what u said... the good managers are lwayers

i disagree on that one, because a lawyer is not going get you in the publics eyes. a lawyer should only handle the legal aspects of the process, whereas a manager will be the foot soldier in the ordeal.
a good manager should get you gigs, handle promotions, ect, and basicly have the gift a gab. a manager should get you heard by A&R`s at different labels.( shop your demo). get a manager and a lawyer cause you will need both. never believe that you don`t need a manager,
cause when or if you are signed to a label you best believe "you will get a manager" so its best that you find a manager now and establish a relationship with that manager to make sure that he/her is looking out for your best interest.

"there is no way i would let my lawyer be my manager" OH HELL NO!!!!!! (LOL)

fame_keyz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
yea a manager can take more if you sign a contract that states hes gona take more but if you know he should only get from 10-20 percent and you end up given him like 30 to 45 your getting fuck! cause we knwo the lawyer is gona get his too and before you know you get the lesser percent if you dont work it right

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
I know at least 3 real managers and 2 are self taught managers and the other one is a lawyer (she went to school to be an entertainment lawyer and manages people....so the people that you find that are into managing at least high end ones usually do have some kind of law background or they have a very good lawyer that knows entertainment and contract law...not just some small town lawyer with no clue about all the different situations that can occur in the music industry because there are soooo many hands in your pocket try to get every cent they can....and they usually have some contracts for you to sign....

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
Dear Hawk and inrcty...:

Find a good entertainment lawyer, and have him shop your songs through his connections. In all honesty, busy entertainment lawyers know everybody and are kind of like the lifeblood of the behind the scenes action in the music industry. They have more access to other lawyers, managers, reps, producers and execs than anyone else I know of. The lawyer will profit off you because he might end up doing your contract or representing you if you are good. If he thinks you're good, then you probably will be shown the way to a good manager.

Usually, managers that start out are shite and don't understand their head from their arse. They usually are outmaneouvred by lawyers or better managers anyway if an artist is good. That's why you always hear of acts dropping their first managers for ones with more clout. It just makes sense to go with the most powerful manager after you have been shopped around.

As for shopping "beats," that market is so flooded, that the lawyer may or may not be willing to deal with you. Either find a lawyer that has experience in hiphop, because most of them are in the business of demoing full songs for people like country, pop, rock.

The thing with the lawyer is, that if you go to a mediocre lawyer, he will simply have you coming back and charging you for consultation time. Really big ones are key because, though they cost more per consultation, usually will tell you if what you have is something they can shop or not. (In other words, if they think you're shite.)

Sincerely,
God

B.Hawk

THE PRIVATE
ill o.g.
GOD u have anysuggestions about where to find an entertainment lawyer

members online