leasing beats

D

djrob

does anybody have anything to say about leasing beats ?
do u think its a good thing to do or jus some broke producers
{who can't sell their beats out right} way of makin doe?

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
I dunno about leasing homie, but look as far as the library of congress goes there is an exclusive copyright and you can transfer it...you can write all kinds of contracts in the world but never sell your soul unless you sell the copyright and then at least keep the future publishing in a contract and future royalties but honestly who would really transfer a copyright unless they give you at least 2500 or 10,000k??????? that is the dumbest thing I heard...but there are some idiots who do it....anyhow people will go out and spend 500 to 3000 on beats around here, and then do nothing....well look you can still sell a beat and maintain your copyright, because look if you sell some cat a beat and you get the contracts right it is called a license.......the license is good to who you sell it to for one use or any other bullshit controls you want to put on it.....the main thing is to keep the person you sold it to from either 1 reselling the beat to someone else or sampling it and doing other shit that you might not want done to the original.......most contracts I have seen always maintain the copyright but as you said "Lease" the track....hell just think if you sold a track for 50$ transferred the copyright and then didn't get any publishing paperwork done or get a session sheet of the rapper in the studio.........and as an example just think if the rapper were 50 cent or another rapper and it went platinum....guess what, if you didn't get your publishing straight and gave up the copyright you just made $50 and gave up the rights.....that would be about the dumbest thing you could do as a producer.........bottom line is the average artist that isn't signed to some kind of label whether indie or major that I run into usually cannot afford to buy a beat 500-2500......so the best thing is to just give them a non exclusive license for like 100-200 dollars and send them on their way.....