Lets talk about drums

Lex

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Haha, I guess it's pretty self explainitry - whats the purpose of a filter in any context? A filter in terms of music or electronic music is no different...you are removing certain aspects of the sound [well frequencies] and what you are left with is only what you 'let through' the filter.

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
i wouldn layer more than like 2 snare or kicks .. its more choosing the right ones..... if u layer them too much it works against u ... i pick one snare as the "meat" of the snare and another to accent a particular charcateristic i want to bring out .. u hardly need more than 2 and sometimes u can get away with just 1 and maybe some minor equing.....

DJ Excellence

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 229
Holmzini said:
i wouldn layer more than like 2 snare or kicks .. its more choosing the right ones..... if u layer them too much it works against u ... i pick one snare as the "meat" of the snare and another to accent a particular charcateristic i want to bring out .. u hardly need more than 2 and sometimes u can get away with just 1 and maybe some minor equing.....

I have to disagree, I do occasionaly layer more than 2 snares with one being the "meat" of the snare like u said, and several others played at low volume. I've noticed this if well done, can give you great textures so to speak.

Architect

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
My 2cent

Study from the Masters (real acoustic drummers) and notice how they change up the drums, notice how they break shit up and add variety.

Study drums that were recorded very well, remember drums are probably one of the hardest instruments to record.

Make sure the drums are appropriate for the song, people disrespect the drums because they think it's easy to put a beat together, make the drums rock don't settle for less!

Pay attention to your mix, take lessons from the masters (whoever you look up to) add just the right amount of EQ, compression, effects, and best recording practices to achieve high quality drum sounds.

K.I.S= keep it simple, remember the drums are the heartbeat of your soul, just naturally use your talent and make something creative, unique but easy to follow.

Quote:
"The obstacle is the path"

johnbeans

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 6
also champ,

I find while layering drums and snares, (try anything to get a sound) I sometimes notice you may have everything u need in a composition and yet it still seems to have something small missing, I usually check the tricked hihats, it may need something to follow up on your main hihat pattern like, morroco sound offset but not drowning out main hihat pattern, or another hihat played differently behind main hihat patt. but like said before there are endless possibilties I would say try any/everything especially when u think it then, don't fo get to save your work first though, casue anything can happen, holla

Da Astonomical