Interviews Lex

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
lex.jpg

Hey Lex, thanks for sitting and cutting it up with IllMuzik, introduce yourself and your company.

I go by Lex, my company name is Nascent P Management. It was Nascent Productions but there were some legal complications and also we have expanded beyond just production to songwriting and managing artists also. I started going by LexOfNP because I noticed there were a lot of up and coming artists named Lex and I didn't want anyone to get confused thus, LexOfNP is my official Alias now.

What has 2010 brought to you so far and what are you currently working on for 2011?

I have been telling people that 2010 will be my grind year since January. I've worked with many artists from Baltimore to New York, networked and met a lot of people. I consider this the year I pour my heart out. 2011 is when I plan to really show out. As far as 2011, I only like to speak on what I know for sure will happen. I've been working on some great music with Loaded Lux who is known for his presence in the battle rap community. This is great for me because we both have something to prove. No one believes that battle rappers can make songs and also since I'm still on the come up I have to prove myself as a producer to the industry. Aside from his project I'm working on my own. Yea, I'm the cliche producer who wants to rap, LOL. I can honestly say that people will be surprised about how this project will turn out. Also I will be competing in Red Bull's Beat Battle this upcoming year. Other than that I am sending tracks out for placement to a few labels and artists but of course, nothing is promised.

How long have you been making beats?

I started understanding music in elementary school band class. I played the saxophone until I got into high school (for basketball of course). Around 10th grade (2002) I started making beats because I wanted to rap but didn't have any beats to rap to. I have been making beats ever since.

What instrument (s), sounds do you like using the most?

I love to use synths. I guess I think of them as sounds without a face. When you hear a piano you know what it looks like, same with a drum. But when you hear synths it just leaves you to imagine. For a lot of my beats I like to use weird percussion noises also. Something that just throws everything off. My beats are similar to me in a sense, spontaneous.

Are you picky when it comes to giving or creating beats for artist?

I'm not picky towards anyone with money, LOL. As far as working with artists I do feel as though there are certain beats for certain artists and I am very picky about what I show to people.

What type of artist will you not work with?

I try to highlight the better aspects of the artist most times. A good producer will be able to hear you and be able to make a drum pattern or melody that will make the artist shine. An example of that is NeYo. Whether you like him or not, he is using chords that people don't use anymore so his sound is very distinct. On the subject of being picky about beats, like almost every up and coming producer, I do have that vault of beats that I don't let anyone hear because I know they are hits.

What's the process when your beats are made?

My first step is to get away from everyone! I try not to do things in beats that anyone else would do regularly. Mind you I have to also be marketable so I can't go to extreme but in my opinion if you are making a beat and people are saying "do this" and you do it, you're just making a beat anyone could have done. I used to make beats around people but I get mad when people start suggesting things to me. Also I like to take my time, when I was younger I used to take 5-10 minutes on a beat. Now I like to play around with sounds and come up with melodies. I usually work on my pretty close to the middle of the track. I don't want to say too much about my process though, don't need another me running around, LOL.

What genre do you find yourself creating beats for the most?

As far as my free time I mostly work on Hip Hop tracks. You see more rappers coming up to you for beats as a producer than singers. Earlier this year I was writing and producing some R&B tracks for Atlantic Records but all these record companies want is a single. I'm the type of person who would rather have a great solid track on an album or mixtape than have a track played in the club. I'm all about good music.

Do you stick to one genre? What's your favorite?

I try not to stick to one genre but at this point it becomes a waste of time working on things that you know won't be used. I once did a country music track because I knew a country singer. Honestly if another country singer came to me and asked for me to compose something for them I would but I'm in Baltimore city right now and you don't see too many of those around here, LOL.

Again, thanks for sitting with me and don't be afraid to create an account right here on IllMuzik! Got any final words or shout outs?

Everyone affiliated with Nascent P. I would name people but that's how issues start so I'm going to keep it simple. Nick Jettson (of Nascent P) and the whole Jettson crew, Keyz a rapper from Trenton NJ who is doing his thing and also affiliated, and last but not least Koncrete who is the newest artist we have been promoting out of PG/DC in Maryland by way of New Orleans. On my Facebook site you will be able to hear tracks from all of them soon. And of course I wanna shout out my homie pinkCookiz and IllMuzik for this opportunity and putting everyone on to us up and coming artists. The game needs people like you to help sift through the garbage artists!

members online