Listen To The Kicks On This One

Lazy Eyes

The Beat Konduktah
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 7
yeah i know that it comes down to mixing but i really love the way the kicks coming through man. I was just wondering if people could give me and others some pointers how to get your drums to sound like this.. This is the way everyone wants them IMO.

By the way I know it comes to this.

1 - Find a proper kick
2 - Load it into a proper sampler - MPC 60, 3000 ( Premo's stuff )
3 - Lace with the proper EQ
4 - Compress it " a little "
5 - Add a little, i mean little reverb

Ruimixx

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Good drop. This song is dope!!!! that RZA sample/scratch is the goodness.

dahkter

Ill Muzikoligist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
great track.
here's my thoughts on the kick:
- it's so clean and strong because there's no bassline to take any of the frequency away from it
- it's got a lot of high frequency snap to it, so it cuts through the mix.
- they mixed this joint back at D&D, I've talked to people about that place, and they would play their shit super loud to make sure it banged, this track is part of that whole golden age boom bap style
- good mastering
Big ups to Primo and Jeru, that is some heat...

ill o.g.
By the way I know it comes to this.

1 - Find a proper kick
2 - Load it into a proper sampler - MPC 60, 3000 ( Premo's stuff )

Would be better to record it into the sampler to start with...
if youre going for its specific sound anyway...

Gene Flo

"Current Events" OUT NOW! www.TheVerbalImage.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 32
I

But specifically the Kicks may sound prominent because that's how they wanted them to be.

DUUUUUUUUH!.... ok now seriously that was a John Madden Comment...

I.E. "The point of the game is to store points and stop the other team from scoring points"

BOOM! TOUGH ACTIN TINACTIN!

Lazy Eyes

The Beat Konduktah
ill o.g.
Thanx for the post, i posted this because this are the type of things i would like some more info on.. as anybody would like to know..

Dysfunktional, why is it better to sample it with the MPC or ASR then to just play it from the ASR or MPC. Doesn't it give it's distinctive sound through the AD/DA converters? Am I wrong..

Font

Producer / Sound Designer
ill o.g.
Any sound can be manufactured, learn to use the tools at your disposal!

Lazy Eyes

The Beat Konduktah
ill o.g.
Any sound can be manufactured, learn to use the tools at your disposal!

These are those answers u can't do anything with.. It's the truth but it's not very helpful.
It's a production forum right..
I'd like to see a bit more topics bout tips and tricks to get a certain sound.. Instead of all the general discussions..

nonetheless, what u said is true..

ill o.g.
Dysfunktional, why is it better to sample it with the MPC or ASR then to just play it from the ASR or MPC. Doesn't it give it's distinctive sound through the AD/DA converters? Am I wrong..

Yeah, you get that sound from its AD converters. If you record it with something else digitally it uses the AD converter of that device to make the sample, the DA converter of the sampler simply spits out exactly what goes into it.

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
Yeah, you get that sound from its AD converters. If you record it with something else digitally it uses the AD converter of that device to make the sample, the DA converter of the sampler simply spits out exactly what goes into it.

not true .. the DA can color the sound too ...

ill o.g.
not true .. the DA can color the sound too ...

Hmmm, i dunno...

Going from digital to analog is really simple, all the numbers are already there, all it has to do is read them and send them out. Going from analog to digital however is a lot more complicated, a digital signal doesnt have the same range as an analog signal so it has to put it in the nearest digital value while its converting it. Each ADC handles this differently, since theres more than one way to skin a cat. Then you also have preamps in the sampler which feed into the ADC, which surely arent all the same in each sampler, also coloring the sound.

So taking these things into consideration, it doesnt make much sense to me that going from digital to analog in a DAC colors the sound very much, I could be wrong though. Id sooner think that if something was coming out of the sampler colored a lot differently than it sounds on for example the pc you recorded it on (after converting it to your sampler's bit depth and sample rate of course), its due to some other component in the sampler when its being spit out. It might color it a little, im just saying, youd still get a different coloring if you record it into the sampler.

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.
Compressing and EQ is the way to do it its not that hard..not just a little compression a good amount

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
da can without a doubt color the sound, why do u think pro engineers pay thousands of dollars for ultra high quality DA? if adc can color a sound so can a dac .. it just common sense.. heres is a theory .. how do you know its not the da in an sp12 that makes the sound so crunchy? .. truthfully there is no way to know because u cannot internally grab an sp sound beofre it hits the da (no digital outs) All das are not built alike .. an ipod has a DA and ill be damned if i can get as much detail on that as i could with a benchmark dac-1 or something. take a real listen to a high end DA and tell me there is not a diffrence. the diffrence is big. the first time i did it i heard things in my mixes that i just simply didnt hear before.

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.
da can without a doubt color the sound, why do u think pro engineers pay thousands of dollars for ultra high quality DA? if adc can color a sound so can a dac .. it just common sense.. heres is a theory .. how do you know its not the da in an sp12 that makes the sound so crunchy? .. truthfully there is no way to know because u cannot internally grab an sp sound beofre it hits the da (no digital outs) All das are not built alike .. an ipod has a DA and ill be damned if i can as much detail on that as i could with a benchmark dac-1 or something. take a real listen to a high end DA and tell me there is not a diffrence. the diffrence is big. the first time i did it i heard things in my mixes that i just simply didnt hear before.

if this wuz ESPN's around the horn id give u 10 points for that one....good job Mariotti

ill o.g.
da can without a doubt color the sound, why do u think pro engineers pay thousands of dollars for ultra high quality DA?

Better quality components, higher S/N ratio, better aliasing filters etc etc.

if adc can color a sound so can a dac .. it just common sense.. heres is a theory .. how do you know its not the da in an sp12 that makes the sound so crunchy? .. truthfully there is no way to know because u cannot internally grab an sp sound beofre it hits the da (no digital outs)

o rly? Ever heard of saving a file and loading it somewhere else or transferring it with midi or smdi? What i said before was actually pretty well within the framework of common sense, but w/e. Going from digital to digital, no matter how its done, recording or copying, will result in an exact 1 on 1 copy.

And an SP12 doesnt have an ADC, it uses the DAC to sample via succcesive approximation, and anti-alias filters the input. So again, if you have a sample from another source and load it in it will be an exact replica. Maybe it sounds a bit crunchier then too, i dunno, but still not the same way as if you had sampled it in the SP12 itself. All DACs/ADCs aren't built alike =].

All das are not built alike .. an ipod has a DA and ill be damned if i can get as much detail on that as i could with a benchmark dac-1 or something. take a real listen to a high end DA and tell me there is not a diffrence. the diffrence is big. the first time i did it i heard things in my mixes that i just simply didnt hear before.

I never said sound never gets colored in any kind of way on its way out, i just said its a different coloring. An sblive or your mp3 player or w/e sounds shitty because it has cheap shitty components all throughout its chain, so by the time it comes out it has an insane noise floor, and they also dont have good aliasing filters. So depending on how you use it, yes you will get artifacts in your sound aka coloring on its way out. Im fully aware of the quality differences in different DACs. Those high quality D/As arent surrounded by all kinds of RF sensitive components or noisy ass pc fans and electromagnetic field and/or noise (HDs for example) producing devices, they have excellent aliasing filters, they have excellent clocks to help eliminate jitter, etc etc. If you take a random DAC off some cheap ass soundcard, desolder it, and make a new circuit board using superioir components all around the DAC and then put it in an external case you can also get a high quality D/A (will also probably cost you a bit too). This still doenst mean all DACs are alike, im just saying that in the conversion process the surrounding components make a huge difference, maybe even more so than the little DAC chip itself.

Here is a wikipedia article to explain why shit gets colored in the analog to digital process:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantization_noise

and an appropriate snippet from it:
Quantization noise is a model of quantization error introduced by quantization in the analog-to-digital conversion (ADC) process in telecommunication systems and signal processing. It is a rounding error between the analogue input voltage to the ADC and the output digitized value. The noise is non-linear and signal-dependent.

Thats why in a DAC, you dont get these kind of artifacts in your sound because it doesnt have to try to round out shit since its already in a digital form. It only has to read them and send it out, thus its dependent on the surrounding components to deliver it at a high quality.

Id rather go back to talking about how to get awesome kicks though, i could really use some help in that area.