Little Brother - The Listening

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
Yeah im know im well late on this ive known about it for ages but for some reason or another never got round to hearing it 'til now, DOPE stuff !
im definately a big fan of 9ths production on it too !

'Away from me' is a quality track the beat is out of this world

NOTE : this album contains no crunk lol ; p

FTdub

SP1200 manhandler
ill o.g.
I like the listening, I would give it 4 out of 5 stars, however I don't fully understand the rave reviews that 9th wonder receives. Nothing about his production stands out to me. No this is not a dis to the FL production techniques, in fact I wouldn't have known if I had not read it about it. I need to hear God's Stepson before I totally label him as a producer, but he doesn't level me like when I first heard Jaydee or Madlib.

Royal

Tha RENEGADE
ill o.g.
The Listening is Dope! One of my favorite albums.

-Roy

JPeg

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I think the beats on that album r some of 9ths most boring beats, i like the vibe and chemistry the group has but i think the new album will be alot better.

best tracks on the listening are:

Nighttime manuveurs
the get up
yo yo
what eva u say

Ozmosis

Sound Tight Productions
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 201
philsiarri said:
I HATE 9th's drum programming .....he uses the same pattern all the time ....:(

like KICK SNARE pause KICK SNARE ....can't complain about the sample selection tho

I agree with with that, he does reuse the same drum pattern alot, but hes still one of my favorite producers and the Listening is still one of my favorite albums. The only problem is that I had to order it from hiphopsite.com, no store where I live carried it, this was a year ago thou.

Jig Dagod

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I look at 9th as like a miniature Primo/Pete Rock/DJ Jazzy Jeff. Yes I said it. Jazzy Jeff. He has some hotness. Back to 9th though, When I first heard The Listening I was like damn album is banging. I played it a week straight non stop car, house, where ever. The dude has skills. That Memphis Bleek track proves it all. That track is bananas. I'll give the listening a 10 out of 5. One of my favorite albums of all time. Pooh & Phonte are ill on the mic. East Ova

AMG

God:Mind~Asiatic
ill o.g.
iLLVA1 said:
anybody got a link where i can hear some of this?
Stop being cheap Yo! Go out and but it...LOL.

FTdub

SP1200 manhandler
ill o.g.
".....he uses the same pattern all the time ....:(

like KICK SNARE pause KICK SNARE ...."

I have sooo many producers say that. IT must be something if everyone sees it. I haven't heard the murs' stuff or God stepson. Most people that i've talked to really dug Stepson. The 9th beat on the Black Album was good.

Vice

9ine 2o 5ive Live
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 71
the listening is a pretty dope album, i got it for christmas like a year ago.....lol.......

JPeg

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
9th has definately improved cos as man said the beats on murs 3:16 were fire and the drums on that sounded fine.

but some of his older stuff the listening included had some stiff drum programming and horrible snare selection.

Ozmosis

Sound Tight Productions
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 201
Whats the name of the song on the memphis bleek album that he did? I want to hear that one. But my favorite beat of 9th has to be the "Church" track on De La Soul's Grind Date. That whole De La ablum is tight bye the way