Logic Pro 7

Ominous

OminousRed.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
I refuse to hear any debate on what is the dopest software to produce with.

I attended the first Logic Pro 7 seminar today at the Guitar Center. I was so pissed because I wanted to go home and try half the sh*t the guy showed but I only have version 6. All I can say is I am all about over time to save up to cop a G5 as soon as the G6 drops and I'm copping a copy of Pro 7.

I could type up a 5,000 word essay on all the features he showed us. Apple is trying to crush the comp. Okay....you know how you have to get Recycle to cut loops up and rex them so you can adjust pitch and tempo and stuff? It's all built into Logic now. It can analyze wav loops and using Apple Loop Utility....which I guess is something that comes with Garageband....which I have and didn't even know about. You can take a loop file and assign all these attributes to it so when you drop it into you loop browser, you can search through your collections of loops based on cateogories and tempos. Ohh yeah...and its nondestuctive.

They have one of if not the dopest Drum Machines I have ever seen. My boy Rob has the Gigasampler and that ain't mess'n with Logic's Ultrabeat. Its got this visual modifcation window in the corner. he took this 808 drop and turned it into this huge as bass drop just by opening up the sustain on it....man all the niggas went wild. You know the Guitar Center had the sub hooked up so it was hitting something serious.

They also have this new synth called Sculpture.....sick. The dude did a little demo on the automation feature on the morph pad in the middle of the synth....everybody started laughing because it was sh*t that nobody in there had seen before.

I mean even the simplest stuff was sick. I guess on the way up....in the airplane....he wanted to make a beat but he did have a keyboard. If you hit the caps lock it turn you typing heys into a keyboard. The F-Keys change your octaves and the space bar is your sustain pedal and the keys right about the keys right abouve your space bar adjust the velocity.

It only takes seconds now to do stuff like automate tempo shifts and pan shifts.

He showed a few of the new effects plugins, they have 70 in all, there was one called Match EQ. You can pull a file and analyze the eq on it and apply it to another file. Like if you have a string sample that really clean and one that's a little murky, you can analyze the clean file and apply the settings to the murky file and it will clean it up.

I don't want to get into the Mac and PC debate but all I can say is Apple is holding it down right now. For example....lets say all you can afford right now is Garageband. You produce beats in Garageband for a year and now you have enough doe to get Logic Express. All the files you created in Garageband open up in Logic. Then, not only do you have all the plug ins that came with Logic at your disposal, but now you also have all the plug ins used in Garageband at you disposal. I guess garagband is just a simplified version of Logic so you files transfer over exactly. You can even use a synth in Garageband and then when you open the file in Logic you can still use the Garaeband synth but if you want to open up the option of the more complicated synths, you can copy all the setting from the simple synth in garageband and then paste them into like the ES1.

Like I said, I could go on and on about all the new dope stuff in Logic but I did find one thing I didn't like. They did a cost break down of what you get for what you pay. I guess if you bought all the things that Logic does seperately through other manufacturers, you'll spend 8,000 bucks. Logic only costs a G....but you gotta drop 3,000 on the G5 just to run it right. It's like getting some dope ass 22" rims for only 500 bucks but they only fit on an Escalade and you rolling in a Honda. I mean, you could slap them on a Honda but it just wouldn't be right. I got a Dual 867 G4 but If I got Logic 7, I would be killing my work station.

One more thing I forgot.

This made all the old school 50 year old studio owners say damn. See...then been around long enough to see a whole ot of work flows so when they guy sowed them this they just flipped.

Okay......say you got a Triton. You got it hooked to you daw. I'm thinking of Afrique when I saw this. I guess what a lot of keyboard users do is play a section of music from their Keyboard through a mixer and into their computer and their computer records the audio and you work with the audio file. Some producers will use their keyboard as a midi controller to control the softsynths on their computer. Well...Logic 7 has distributed audio processing. It actually takes advantage of the fact that there is another processing engine available to crank out sound...which can be another computer or in most cases another keyboards sound bank. SO all your Triton sounds are available to you in Logic without having to bounce them down into recorded wav files. It is still all midi.

Now this ain't nothing new but the difference is Logic is set up to work better when you do this (two heads are better than one) where as other daws actually get bogged down and you start having latency problems when you try to use other equipment.

I guess a simpler way to say it is: adding a keybard to you daw is like adding another synth track. Once you get 15 or 20 going at one time, it starts bogging down your computer. But Logic will make your Triton do the work before it will stress itself. He had a file running 25 Sculptur synths at one time and it almost killed his laptop. But then he cut on the network processing option which is on each track so you cut it on and off just like you cut on the mute button and it started using the engine on an imac he had connected to his laptop and it cut the processing down in half. You can hook up like 6 computers and only need onec opy of Logic running on your main computer and its like having 6 processors running at one time.

x-squizet

Roll Tide Roll
ill o.g.
whats the name of the website so i can check out logic 7 cuz i went to musiciansfriend but they did'nt have it yet just logic 6.

x-squizet

Roll Tide Roll
ill o.g.
I really really want this software, look at all those edit fuctions and thos soft synths, i am like a child in a candy store, i might change my mind from pc to mac

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Well I have preached about the earlier versions of logic and how much better I liked them even better than Fruity or Reason....it had a different interface to work with but overall a much more professional piece....and especially when You want to integrate your hardware setup into a software environment.....Thanks Ominous Imma see if I can cop that man!

luxx

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
yeah logic is hot. I got like version 4.7 and I still love it! its what I record all my vocals and do all my mixing and arranging in.

blkyankee

ill o.g.
Would it be a good idea for a beginer to compose beat using Reason w/ M-audio trigger finger then use logic to add the effects and clean the track up? this is what i plan on doing when i get my mac soon...any input is appriciated

ghostmusic

ill o.g.
Yo I run Logic Pro 7 on My Powerbook G4, gig of ram runs almost as well as on my G5 at home. As long as you got the OS X update and enough RAM you can run it on a G4.

30CRATES

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 22
Havent Opened Mines Yet!

Ominous said:
I refuse to hear any debate on what is the dopest software to produce with.

I attended the first Logic Pro 7 seminar today at the Guitar Center. I was so pissed because I wanted to go home and try half the sh*t the guy showed but I only have version 6. All I can say is I am all about over time to save up to cop a G5 as soon as the G6 drops and I'm copping a copy of Pro 7.

I could type up a 5,000 word essay on all the features he showed us. Apple is trying to crush the comp. Okay....you know how you have to get Recycle to cut loops up and rex them so you can adjust pitch and tempo and stuff? It's all built into Logic now. It can analyze wav loops and using Apple Loop Utility....which I guess is something that comes with Garageband....which I have and didn't even know about. You can take a loop file and assign all these attributes to it so when you drop it into you loop browser, you can search through your collections of loops based on cateogories and tempos. Ohh yeah...and its nondestuctive.

They have one of if not the dopest Drum Machines I have ever seen. My boy Rob has the Gigasampler and that ain't mess'n with Logic's Ultrabeat. Its got this visual modifcation window in the corner. he took this 808 drop and turned it into this huge as bass drop just by opening up the sustain on it....man all the niggas went wild. You know the Guitar Center had the sub hooked up so it was hitting something serious.

They also have this new synth called Sculpture.....sick. The dude did a little demo on the automation feature on the morph pad in the middle of the synth....everybody started laughing because it was sh*t that nobody in there had seen before.

I mean even the simplest stuff was sick. I guess on the way up....in the airplane....he wanted to make a beat but he did have a keyboard. If you hit the caps lock it turn you typing heys into a keyboard. The F-Keys change your octaves and the space bar is your sustain pedal and the keys right about the keys right abouve your space bar adjust the velocity.

It only takes seconds now to do stuff like automate tempo shifts and pan shifts.

He showed a few of the new effects plugins, they have 70 in all, there was one called Match EQ. You can pull a file and analyze the eq on it and apply it to another file. Like if you have a string sample that really clean and one that's a little murky, you can analyze the clean file and apply the settings to the murky file and it will clean it up.

I don't want to get into the Mac and PC debate but all I can say is Apple is holding it down right now. For example....lets say all you can afford right now is Garageband. You produce beats in Garageband for a year and now you have enough doe to get Logic Express. All the files you created in Garageband open up in Logic. Then, not only do you have all the plug ins that came with Logic at your disposal, but now you also have all the plug ins used in Garageband at you disposal. I guess garagband is just a simplified version of Logic so you files transfer over exactly. You can even use a synth in Garageband and then when you open the file in Logic you can still use the Garaeband synth but if you want to open up the option of the more complicated synths, you can copy all the setting from the simple synth in garageband and then paste them into like the ES1.

Like I said, I could go on and on about all the new dope stuff in Logic but I did find one thing I didn't like. They did a cost break down of what you get for what you pay. I guess if you bought all the things that Logic does seperately through other manufacturers, you'll spend 8,000 bucks. Logic only costs a G....but you gotta drop 3,000 on the G5 just to run it right. It's like getting some dope ass 22" rims for only 500 bucks but they only fit on an Escalade and you rolling in a Honda. I mean, you could slap them on a Honda but it just wouldn't be right. I got a Dual 867 G4 but If I got Logic 7, I would be killing my work station.

One more thing I forgot.

This made all the old school 50 year old studio owners say damn. See...then been around long enough to see a whole ot of work flows so when they guy sowed them this they just flipped.

Okay......say you got a Triton. You got it hooked to you daw. I'm thinking of Afrique when I saw this. I guess what a lot of keyboard users do is play a section of music from their Keyboard through a mixer and into their computer and their computer records the audio and you work with the audio file. Some producers will use their keyboard as a midi controller to control the softsynths on their computer. Well...Logic 7 has distributed audio processing. It actually takes advantage of the fact that there is another processing engine available to crank out sound...which can be another computer or in most cases another keyboards sound bank. SO all your Triton sounds are available to you in Logic without having to bounce them down into recorded wav files. It is still all midi.

Now this ain't nothing new but the difference is Logic is set up to work better when you do this (two heads are better than one) where as other daws actually get bogged down and you start having latency problems when you try to use other equipment.

I guess a simpler way to say it is: adding a keybard to you daw is like adding another synth track. Once you get 15 or 20 going at one time, it starts bogging down your computer. But Logic will make your Triton do the work before it will stress itself. He had a file running 25 Sculptur synths at one time and it almost killed his laptop. But then he cut on the network processing option which is on each track so you cut it on and off just like you cut on the mute button and it started using the engine on an imac he had connected to his laptop and it cut the processing down in half. You can hook up like 6 computers and only need onec opy of Logic running on your main computer and its like having 6 processors running at one time.

I JUST RECENTLY BROUGHT LOGIC 7 FROM A FRIEND HOWEVER I DIDNT EVEN CRACK IT OPEN YET. ( STILL SAVING TO GET A MAC!!!!!!! ) I'VE BEEN USING LOGIC FOR YEARS THOUGH ( PC VERSION ). I'VE SEEN 7 IN ACTION, AND ITS DEF HOT. ITS GOT EVERYTHING U NEED! MAYBE ITS JUST ME BUT, I FIND THE DRAG AND DROP PROPERTIES OF THE PC MORE FLUID THAN THE MAC. WHEN USING LOGIC 7 ON MY FRIENDS MAC, COPYING AND DRAGGING SAY A HOOK FOR EXAMPLE, TAKES A COUPLE OF TRIES TO PLACE EXACTLY IN THE RIGHT SPOT. WITH LOGIC 5.5 ON MY PC, I DRAG AND DROP EFFORTLESS. JUST SOMETHING I NOTICED.

members online