Logic Pro & The College Dropout

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I thought this article was awesome, although brief...talk about being surprised, check out what this guy says about some of the "samples" on Kanye's freshman LP

Scratch magazine: the lab: July 2005

logic vs. pro tools?
That’s barely a question. Some say that Logic compliments the individual creative process while Pro Tools lends itself more to commercial studios and engineer types. The fact is that Logic can be used for producing, mixing, editing, live recording, and MIDI programming—basically anything creative and musical you would ever want to do with your computer. One of the best places to hear Logic in action is on Kanye West’s The College Dropout where I relied on Logic to create musical elements for “All Falls Down,” “Last Call,” “Family Business,” and “Never Let Me Down.” I’m also using Logic 7 on Kanye’s forthcoming Late Registration, but that’s top secret, so until I can tell you about it, dig these dirty digital Dropout secrets.

1. confessions Just when you thought the sped-up music in “Never Let Me Down” was a sample, it’s not, it’s me (even the chipmunk vocal). Kanye sampled some obscure record and didn’t know what it was, and he asked me if I could re-create the exact sound of the sample the way he used it—from scratch. I grabbed my weapon of choice, Logic, to accomplish this overwhelming task. The goal was to recreate a ’70s live band and singer, sampled in mono from scratchy vinyl, well enough to make Kanye believe it was real.

2. get low The raw sample arrived in its (very) sped-up form. To bring the speed down and get the pitch of the sample out of helium-huffing range, I decided to use Logic’s Time and Pitch Machine in Classic Mode (which functions like slowing down a record). I had never heard the original song before, and I didn’t even know if it was a male or female singer, but as Logic slowed the sample down, a ’70s soul vibe emerged with a male singer’s voice sitting in the front of the mix. I won’t mention any names, but this guy’s ruined classics like “When a Man Loves a Woman” and “Sittin’ on the Dock of the Bay.”

3. when it comes to being tuned, at least be tuned in key (sing along now!) Next, I figured out the new tempo and tuning and lined it up in MIDI to the Logic grid, looping the audio file on beat. I had to be very careful when I slowed the sample down to make sure it was on key, because if it was sharp or flat, learning the notes would be very difficult. I listened to the same four bars of music looped over and over for what seemed like eternity. My ears gradually separated each piece of the sonic puzzle—the notes revealing themselves first, which then gave way to the more subtle details of the loop.

BeatAssassin

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
The article that he is referencing came out of the scratch magizine. What he saying is actually true because I sample myself an used izotpe vinyl to give it that old sound and speed up the sample. So Logic paying him to say that-Yeeeeh, maybe but what he did isn't impossible.

kaivai

Reppin V.I.C
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
i remeber reading this in scratch and it blew my mind, id had a lil experience with logic before but hadnt realized what could be achieved. im saving till then garageband will do :(

Ominous

OminousRed.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
I ain't really sure how accurate this is but my boy sent me this because he is a hardcore Pro Tools user and I use Logic. I am saving up for Logic Pro but right now I am still trying to master Reason and basic Logic. I did buy these video tutorials about Logic Pro and I have attended two Apple seminars and from what I can tell nobody is phukn with Logic as far as software ability but it is so expensive and uncommon no one uses it. According to this chart, and I have no idea how accurate it is, Logic and Reason aren't even on this list as far as popularity goes.

http://www.digitalmusicdoctor.com/popularity.htm

SirSedric

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
logic vs. pro tools?

I like the way you approach this answer. It's very true, it's hardly a question... just purely a matter of personal preference. Although, Logic and PT are in a constant "feature battle" I think they both have their place in the creative process...

For example, I use PT to record vocals and live instruments because of the easy comping... The same things could easily be accomplished in Logic using Marquee Strip recording, I just like the PT does it a little better... But then when I need a sampled instrument or some sort of software instrument, I immediately turn to Logic and Reason for sound design...

Also, I think editing, sequencing and arranging are WAY easier and more smooth in Logic. Whereas Pro Tools has access to better quality plugins for final mixes and mastering on an HD system.

A true studio artist, in my opinion, is not limited by the use of one DAW or one program. We play our studios like guitarists play their instrument. The object is to achieve the sound and quality of a professional recording, the rest is just art....

LouBez

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I love how most hip hop dudes cant believe that there is actually a DAW better than pro tools...sound houses are starting to catch on all of em run logic and have no problem using it in your session...that whole "pro tools is industry standard" line isnt really true at all

yungboss

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
I use FL Studio but a lot of people tell me to go to Pro Tools. Um not sure if I want to invest in a super expensive software that has all of the same feature so umma jus stick to Mixcraft.

As to Logic vs Pro Tools......um happy to hear people disagreeing with Pro Tools omnipotence

Ominous

OminousRed.com
ill o.g.
...that whole "pro tools is industry standard" line isnt really true at all

And on top of that, even if it were true... all that means is that most the people use it. Standard is just that STANDARD. That doesn't mean Superior.

I'm not going to say Logic is superior but I do think it is better than almost any other DAW.

I love Logic.

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
"that whole "pro tools is industry standard" line isnt really true at all"

I am a Logic guy myself (but I am Pro tools certified) but EVERY major studio uses Pro Tools period. 95% of every top 40 hit is done in Pro tools and 99% of any film you seen in a major theater was mixed in Pro tools (and most likely edited on Avid)

That being said unless digi does some work I believe Pro tools will be left in the dust, but it wont happen in the next five years.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
PT = clever marketing = reason its industry standard

BUT, i cant help but notice that a lot of studios always have one machine running Logic. Aside from that, i consider PT usage for recording pur sang for compatibility sake (time=money), even if it has better plugins (which isnt that relevant).
Logic does it all pretty well except it cant import PT projects lol. In a way its more adaptive to most recording/studio situations since Logic doesnt require a specific I/O for best interfacing quality.

I agree that avid will lose some shares in the future, pricetags are dropping and there is a certain limit reached in regards to pristine i/o, syncs and controllers meaning more OEM's will offer same quality but cheaper (and i dont mean the behringer fashion).

members online