i searched the archives and i came up with two choices so far:

Sony MDR-7506 and the Sennheiser HD280 PRO

these seem really really good and they going for pretty cheap on ebay

but i would also like some other recommendations

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I use the Sony MDR-7506. Had them for a few years now without any problems at all. Great sound, low end is thick - I highly recommend these. :)

DJFANTOM

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Audio Technica MTH-M30. Good budget alternative to the sonys. Same specs. And from personal experience clear highs lows and some tight fat bass. I posted on here about em not too long ago. Can't get the link now im on my sidekick. But just type that into search. Or google em. Even if you go with sonys or whatever these still good for back ups or extras. But can definately be used for mains. I paid $50 for em... And they actualy replaced a pair of sony mdr v700 (dj) which break easy if you drop em a couple times. And in my opinion cost waaaaay too much.

DJFANTOM

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
bigdmakintrax said:
Any of the higher end Sony headphones...MDR-V500DJ ...you can't go wrong.....80$ and up.....I have worn out so many pairs over the last 5 years or so it's ridiculous but I won't use any other headphone monitors...

Yeah the 500's are right under the 700's dat I owned (still have em but the head band is broke.)

I actualy paid only $70 brand new for mine. (Special web offer) 2 years ago.

The audio technicas when I compared the sound of both, are more sonicaly accurate. The 500/700 dj's are more suited for high output monitoring in big club situations. But can still and is used in the studio for monitoring. ....

For mixing and beat making with headfones id go with the 7506's or the Audio Technicas. I can't realy comment on the senseheimers cause I never used them. But I know the top of the line recording studios use em so they gotta be good.

But ultimately its up to you. See if ur local music store has a display with different 1s hooked up you can test... I know Sam ash in manhattan does... Or did..

C

Copenhagen

Depending on how much you want to spend, I would perhaps also look into AKG Hearo 777 Quadra Deluxe, Sennheiser 250 II, Sony MDR-7509 and/or Ultrasone HFI-650TM Trackmaster.

TachyonFresh

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
wtf does Dynamic mean when it comes to headphone specs?

i dont think im gonna be getting the Sony MDR-V700

and so far, i only narrowed it down to
Sony MDR-7506
AKG K66
SENNHEISER HD215
AKG K2405
YAMAHA RH5MA
AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-M30

DJFANTOM or anyone else, can u tell me if the audio technica has a closed design?

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
I think outa yer list I'd either cop tha AKG's, or tha SENNHEISERS.....those are safe bets, i mean those brands have a lot of experience in tha market...longer than tha others most likly anyways...and also keep in mind, even if they may not look as cool, tha sound is tha most important factor...lol....Ive noticed that AKG always likes to make a fucking pair a headphones that look like you may be able to communicate with UFO's or some shit, but they sound fantastic.

STEEZ

TachyonFresh

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
yeah, i guess if u get headphones that need to look nice then u msut have some sorta image to maintain....fuck stylish shit, im trynna go for some nice sounds...thanks a lot deuce for narrowing down my choices...thank u to every single person who repleid to this thread as well...

p.s. deuce, playa would u know if either the sennheiser or AKG models are closed-ear designs and cancel noise and have little to no sound leakage?

DJFANTOM

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Yeah TACHYONFRESH the Audio Technicas are closed back. And when I compared em to my 700's had less sound leakage. ... But you know if ur willing to pay the extra I would go with the Akg's like deuce said they've been in the buisness a while. There the work horse of the industry. .... They definately have GREAT sound , are accurate and yes are Closed back with minimal leakage. ... But keep in mind when you drive up the levels ALL headfones leak a lil. ....... Im just hypin the Audio technicas cause they cheap and still have good sound. ..... And your right bout that image thing there just headfones not a outfit ot kicks or something. Lol (I wouldn't wear no akg's in the club tho..lol)

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Yeah Fantoms got great input too. Basically, any headpone with a closed ear-cup that surrounds yer entire ear will cancel out most noise....some headphones are specifically designed tho to cancel out noise like these airplane joints i saw at a shop before i boarded to go to LA. But like i said, tha closed earphone that completely surrounds your ear will tremendously help.

STEEZ

E

Equality 7-2521

sennheiser hd 25 are the best if you have the cash.

A

ACEBEATZ

I would suggest you to never mix on headphones.

Holla Ace

A

ACEBEATZ

Ask any sound engineer.He'll tell you: mixing with headphones is shit. You have no true bass response, forget it buddy. Do it if you want, it was just my advice.

T

Tello_CHI

Yea, gotta go with the sony studio monitors series. I use the 3000, $19.95 and they bang with my Triton or MPC on full blast. Good deal if you're looking for a cheap, but efficient pair of headphones.

orpheus

Cook Classics
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 39
i got a couple pairs of the sony mdr's. i gotta say those things are fucking amazing. i use em all the time. besides usin for makin beats, i listen to everything on those. its some of the illest shit i can think of takin some herbal remedies and puttin a pair of those on with some ill muzik. i highly recommend them.