Losing my creativity - and I've only just started?!?

krysolite

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
download some nice drum samples. look for some on torrent sites or w/e.

milkcratebreaks. look that site up if ur interested in sampling. look at producing videos, when u see someone going through the process of making a dope beat, u get inspired to do the same.

download some drum loops and try working around it to inspire u.

or if nothing works, maybe making beats is just a phase u got interested in and its not for u. never know.

BobCarter

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
damn krysolite...I posted a link to that site literally five minutes ago in another section...great minds think alike :)

savage_g

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I hear what you're saying - just coming off a 2 month break from beatmaking; I was just getting frustrated with writers block (staring at a blank sequencer wondering wtf i'm gonna do!). The more u try and force the creative process, the more difficult it becomes.
Spent the last 2 months smoking weed and listening to a big variety of music (everything from 60s rock n roll, 80s boom bap,, new dubstep type isht etc).
Really opened my mind to different musical ideas and now I'm more stoked than ever to make some dope beats.

to get your creativity going;

-forget about the limits you normally impose on yourself. like for example, "i have to make a beat at 90-95bpm".

-Try using other sounds you normally wouldn't use. Like there maybe a kick or snare sound you never use because you don't like the sound of it. Try to make it work into a song. that kick you hate might make a track.

-Do something refreshing in your outside the lab life. Go watch an Opera, or go the to the theatre. One time I went to see a classical pianist id never heard of play some weird stuff and I came back inspired. if clubbing is your thing, then hit up the club and see what makes people move in songs.

-Finally, have fun! I was in the studio 2 days ago clowning around with friends making t-pain sounding tracks with a weird ass beat.

I was really inspired by watching bbc proms last year.

Kaleidon

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Last month my net was gone for a long ass time and I had no good way of obtaining samples. I don't own a turntable (yet) and all the CD's I bought to dig on sucked. Basically, I ended up having a month long break from it all. Now I've moved out into my own place, got my shit sorted out and I can download samples when I want. Problem is, I will download a few, chop them up and get bored, or just construct a simple loop and not know what the hell to add to it. It's as if I've got producers block. How do y'all get over it when (if ever) this happens to you?

I'm hoping that learning to play the guitar and keyboard will help a little too.

i think you should get out the lab a lil more often, spend some days just listening to music.

Creativity comes from versatility, maybe your just tired of hearing hiphop, try listening to some rock or rnb or even some world songs

artists like fela kuti and afrikaa 7 as well as roy ayers offer some good samples, but creativity isn't always about taking other peoples music and "flipping" it. Maybe you should just listen to some dope ass songs and appreciate the skill they put into making it.

Not saying that I'm knocking sampling by all means but too much of one thing is a bad for you.

T

The Arkitekt

Only make beats when you feel like it, if your getting bored of it then your obviously not in the mood to do it, why force yourself to do it? if your actually having fun with it, the ideas will flow.

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
Last month my net was gone for a long ass time and I had no good way of obtaining samples. I don't own a turntable (yet) and all the CD's I bought to dig on sucked. Basically, I ended up having a month long break from it all. Now I've moved out into my own place, got my shit sorted out and I can download samples when I want. Problem is, I will download a few, chop them up and get bored, or just construct a simple loop and not know what the hell to add to it. It's as if I've got producers block. How do y'all get over it when (if ever) this happens to you?

I'm hoping that learning to play the guitar and keyboard will help a little too.

Learn to soundesign. Take the samples you have. Granulate, pitch-shift, alter them. Learn how to use and understand what the ASDR knobs on your synth mean (or get a softsynth).

When you learn that, you will find that you don't have to be tied to samples. You can create them as you wish from existing samples in your synthesizer. All a regular Korg Triton synthesizer is a subtractive synth. Meaning... it's SAMPLE based. It's not complicated once you understand it. People are scared of learning their synthesizers... don't be... do it.

You'll be surprised at how powerful and creative you can become by designing your own sounds.

Cell 2Dee

Bloody Fingers
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 110
Learn to soundesign. Take the samples you have. Granulate, pitch-shift, alter them. Learn how to use and understand what the ASDR knobs on your synth mean (or get a softsynth).

When you learn that, you will find that you don't have to be tied to samples. You can create them as you wish from existing samples in your synthesizer. All a regular Korg Triton synthesizer is a subtractive synth. Meaning... it's SAMPLE based. It's not complicated once you understand it. People are scared of learning their synthesizers... don't be... do it.

You'll be surprised at how powerful and creative you can become by designing your own sounds.

Great idea, I use Reason so it's got a few soft synths built in, I don't know what the hell most of them do so that's a good start. Thanks for all the advice everyone, appreciate it.

members online